Do NOT use Mobil1-0W40 - Indy Porsche mechanic recommended

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019 | 10:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ogun228
Someone please explain this to me: A car company makes an engine, tells you
to fill it with XYZ oil but also tells you that Abc, Def,Ghi, etc also work in their car.
Some of the company's product have exhibited some particular problems. Since the company
uses XYZ oil and all of its representatives and sellers of its product also do. Ergo, XYZ oil
is the culprit and Independent shops and mechanics that have so much more wisdom and experience
than the Mezgers, Achleitners, Rorhls of the said company, recommend not using that oil because
its use leads to disaster.

Sorry, but I am just a little lost here. I can see preferences but this hysteria? Haven't we had enough of
hysteria, what with RMS, IMS, and now Bore scoring. Cui bono?
I can explain it to you. Porsche doesn't have the time or desire to test a bunch of different oils under all types of conditions like we do as a collective group of owners. They pick one that may be good enough from a company that I'm sure pays them a fortune to be the OEM factory fill and move on.

The oil change interval of 20,000 miles is also complete idiocy and was done for market g purposes to try and keep up with the uniformed public's desire for zero or low maintenance vehicles. Why should I buy a Porsche that needs service 4x as often as a Mercedes or a Jaguar (made up example). Anyone who knows anything about engines and oil would never run an oil in any motor, moreover a high revving, high performance one for 20,000 miles, yet that's their recommendation (I also think it was lowered to 12,000 miles retroactively at some point too, which is still ridiculous).

The people who bow down to the Porsche God's thinking whatever they did must be the best way to do it, and anything made by an aftermarket company (wheels, suspension, body parts, etc) must be inferior crack me up. Porsche has to balance costs against warranty service against competition etc and can't afford to use the best of all possible products in a 911 as they would be priced at an unsaleable number.
Old 03-31-2019 | 10:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Lol what a ridiculous thread.
Old 03-31-2019 | 10:36 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Of the 3 oils I've run in my 997s, the UOA reports I do at every oil change showed the Mobil 1 experiencing the fastest breakdown of the additive package, lowering the viscosity and the Flashpoint. Happens in as few as 3,000 miles.

If you're under warranty, use Motul xcess 8100 which is Porsche A40 approved, and if out of warranty, Driven DT40 which increases the Zinc, Phosphorous, and Moly.
I have found the same as Petza has stated above with Mobil 1. I have found that the viscosity is lower than it should be along with the flashpoint. The additive package which protects the engine still has life left, but is about half gone at 5000 miles. Mind you this is all known through my Blackstone report. As for the viscosity being a bit lower than it should be that is not the oils fault, but a known issue with the 997.2 injectors as they get older. Knowing this am I going to run out and drain my oil and throw Motul in...no, but next oil change I will go to Motul 5w-40.

Quick Reply: Do NOT use Mobil1-0W40 - Indy Porsche mechanic recommended