Sponsored by:

Problem with PDK on 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019 | 09:52 AM
Jorge911
8th Gear

Default Problem with PDK on 997

Hello,
I have a problem with shift rod sensors (on the pictures). I tried to find where can I buy them but no luck.
I couldn't find part number in Porsche catalogue. Also was not able to find it in ZF catalogue.
Maybe somebody can help and point me where can I buy it?

One of the options is to buy a new PDK. But it is not on stock. So the price will be high with unpredictible delivery date...

I found a thread https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...nsmission.html
The problem is similar to my problem. I asked an author if he found any solution. But his last activity on sire was in 2017... So I don't think that he will answer...

Please let know any information or direction how my problem can be resolved.
Thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post:
Kpadas (07-28-2020)
Old 03-30-2019 | 10:21 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jorge911
I have a problem with shift rod sensors (on the pictures)
I found a thread https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...nsmission.html
The problem is similar to my problem.
Very sorry to hear.

Are those photos of parts from inside the PDK, or parts attached to the outside? If you’ve more photos in general of what you’ve taken apart, can you share?

The reason I ask is that I would have guessed the rod-sensors are inside. If there are other parts (with part numbers), searching for those might help find a source for the part you’re looking for.

One of the options is to buy a new PDK. But it is not on stock. So the price will be high with unpredictible delivery date...
Are you located in the US?

Porsche Cars North America supposedly keeps a stock of remanufactured PDK units in Atlanta, and they can be purchased through US dealers. Cost is typically $9K plus $7K refundable core charge (some places are a bit cheaper), plus shipping.

I hadn’t heard they were delivery issues in the US.

Karl.
Old 03-30-2019 | 10:53 AM
Jorge911
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Very sorry to hear.

Are those photos of parts from inside the PDK, or parts attached to the outside? If you’ve more photos in general of what you’ve taken apart, can you share?

The reason I ask is that I would have guessed the rod-sensors are inside. If there are other parts (with part numbers), searching for those might help find a source for the part you’re looking for.

Are you located in the US?

Porsche Cars North America supposedly keeps a stock of remanufactured PDK units in Atlanta, and they can be purchased through US dealers. Cost is typically $9K plus $7K refundable core charge (some places are a bit cheaper), plus shipping.

I hadn’t heard they were delivery issues in the US.

Karl.
Thank you for your answer!
Those photos of parts from inside the PDK. Actually a photos of the part which I am trying to find.

I am in Europe so I need to check a price for shipping of PDK from US.
Old 03-30-2019 | 11:50 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am in Europe so I need to check a price for shipping of PDK from US.
When you previously searched, did you look for a "new" or "remanufactured" transmission? Here's an example of the differences from the same dealer (note: you need to research the right part number for your particular car, don't assume the following are correct for your car):

New $20K - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...e-9g130002100/
Replacement $8,200 + $6,300 refundable core charge - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...on-9g1300011bx

However, shipping to/from the US is going to be very expensive. The OPCs in the EU must have access to similar remanufactured replacement units. So I'd still keep searching through the EU network.

Those photos of parts from inside the PDK. Actually a photos of the part which I am trying to find.
I've not seen a lot of photos from inside a 997.2 PDK. Can you say from where in the following your photo was taken? And if you have any more photos, please share...

Item #11 - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...au-9g131701500
Item #14 (need 6 of them) - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ng-9g131769800
Item #21 - Is described as a "Wiring harness Control unit", but I can't find a part number...

Karl.

PS: I looked up the part numbers using: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...he-s-site.html
Old 03-30-2019 | 01:22 PM
Jorge911
8th Gear

Thank you, Karl!
Yes, I searched for new parts and X-parts ("remanufactured").
I tried to find 9G1 300 011 BX or 9G1 300 021 BX (with locked diff). All what I was able to find in Europe is "Factory Order".
I don't have other pictures, I made only two pictures while I was in a workshop. Maybe I will be able to make more pictures next time and share with you.

As for part which I am trying to find it looks like 21 and (maybe 14) from your picture.
I have a car which is one of the first 997 with PDK. So I have PDK first generation. Maybe this is also a problem.
Old 03-30-2019 | 05:13 PM
Jorge911
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
When you previously searched, did you look for a "new" or "remanufactured" transmission? Here's an example of the differences from the same dealer (note: you need to research the right part number for your particular car, don't assume the following are correct for your car):

New $20K - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...e-9g130002100/
Replacement $8,200 + $6,300 refundable core charge - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...on-9g1300011bx

However, shipping to/from the US is going to be very expensive. The OPCs in the EU must have access to similar remanufactured replacement units. So I'd still keep searching through the EU network.

I've not seen a lot of photos from inside a 997.2 PDK. Can you say from where in the following your photo was taken? And if you have any more photos, please share...

Item #11 - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...au-9g131701500
Item #14 (need 6 of them) - https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ng-9g131769800
Item #21 - Is described as a "Wiring harness Control unit", but I can't find a part number...

Karl.

PS: I looked up the part numbers using: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...he-s-site.html
Do you think that this part number (#21) can be in some old PET version?
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:51 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you think that this part number (#21) can be in some old PET version?
Dont know...
Old 03-31-2019 | 04:25 PM
And88
Intermediate

I dealt with this for 6 months last year. Same problem - shift rod sensors were bad. It was a huge saga that had me on the phone with about everyone you could possibly imagine related to fixing a car - There were actually months where I would call the warranty company every day, and be on hold for an hour or more.

Not Porsche NA, local P car delearships, Aamco, nor the warranty company could buy any of the parts from Porsche or ZF.
They are sealed from the factory and are not serviceable.

It took truly half of the year to get my issue resolved because the warranty company wouldn't buy that something was "unserviceable"...

The options in the end were to buy a used PDK and swap it in or to get a new one from Porsche in Atlanta. Since no used ones were available, they elected to get a new one from Porsche.
Total bill was close to 30k, but that was in LA. Thankfully the warranty company paid it, but it was the biggest hassle I've ever dealt with with a car.

I guess if you are handy and don't care about potentially damaging the rest of the box, you could pull those parts off a wrecked one, but there are a few issues with this plan.

1) PDK transmissions from wrecked 997s are pretty rare, but findable. I have seen used ones go between 4k-8k at places like LA Dismantler...but again, I would make sure it was something wrecked from a front end impact and not something from the rear or perhaps fire or water damage.

2) You will likely have to buy the full PDK anyway - I have never seen one a teardown that is parted out.

3) I don't know firsthand, but I was told by multiple Porsche dealerships that once the PDK is split open, they can never put them back together because of the way the boxes are sealed specially at ZF. I have no idea if this is true, but I didn't want to potentially ruin the box by having some Yahoos who never work on this stuff (No P-Car tech is trained to do surgery on a PDK AFAIK) open something as complicated as a PDK and try to put it back together.

4) You will have to reflash and reprogram the transmission anyway, and the Porsche dealership is the only place that I know that can do that...so it might be better to just buy a used one and try to pop in in there since they are relatively plug-and-play. That would be way easier than trying to rebuild it.

I'm sorry to say this is a really tough spot to be in with these cars and it can feel I feel for you. I spent half of last year wondering if I could ever get the thing fixed. Thankfully there are ways to get out of it for 5-9k which is still a lot.but it's just a car, not life and death.
The following users liked this post:
Kpadas (07-28-2020)
Old 03-31-2019 | 07:52 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by And88
...The options in the end were to buy a used PDK and swap it in or to get a new one from Porsche in Atlanta. Since no used ones were available, they elected to get a new one from Porsche.
Total bill was close to 30k, but that was in LA.
Was it truly a brand new unit (I thought they were NLA by now), or a remanufactured unit (with an 'X' in the part number)?

Because $30K is a heart-stopping cost, very glad it didn't come out of your pocket. I personally know two people here in the SF Bay Area who've had to replace the PDK, and the bill was ~$13K parts & labor (for a remanufactured unit). And that jives with these other examples...
Karl.
Old 04-01-2019 | 03:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by And88
I dealt with this for 6 months last year. Same problem - shift rod sensors were bad. It was a huge saga that had me on the phone with about everyone you could possibly imagine related to fixing a car - There were actually months where I would call the warranty company every day, and be on hold for an hour or more.

Not Porsche NA, local P car delearships, Aamco, nor the warranty company could buy any of the parts from Porsche or ZF.
They are sealed from the factory and are not serviceable.

It took truly half of the year to get my issue resolved because the warranty company wouldn't buy that something was "unserviceable"...

The options in the end were to buy a used PDK and swap it in or to get a new one from Porsche in Atlanta. Since no used ones were available, they elected to get a new one from Porsche.
Total bill was close to 30k, but that was in LA. Thankfully the warranty company paid it, but it was the biggest hassle I've ever dealt with with a car.

I guess if you are handy and don't care about potentially damaging the rest of the box, you could pull those parts off a wrecked one, but there are a few issues with this plan.

1) PDK transmissions from wrecked 997s are pretty rare, but findable. I have seen used ones go between 4k-8k at places like LA Dismantler...but again, I would make sure it was something wrecked from a front end impact and not something from the rear or perhaps fire or water damage.

2) You will likely have to buy the full PDK anyway - I have never seen one a teardown that is parted out.

3) I don't know firsthand, but I was told by multiple Porsche dealerships that once the PDK is split open, they can never put them back together because of the way the boxes are sealed specially at ZF. I have no idea if this is true, but I didn't want to potentially ruin the box by having some Yahoos who never work on this stuff (No P-Car tech is trained to do surgery on a PDK AFAIK) open something as complicated as a PDK and try to put it back together.

4) You will have to reflash and reprogram the transmission anyway, and the Porsche dealership is the only place that I know that can do that...so it might be better to just buy a used one and try to pop in in there since they are relatively plug-and-play. That would be way easier than trying to rebuild it.

I'm sorry to say this is a really tough spot to be in with these cars and it can feel I feel for you. I spent half of last year wondering if I could ever get the thing fixed. Thankfully there are ways to get out of it for 5-9k which is still a lot.but it's just a car, not life and death.
Lots of things I don't understand about your story. I had a somewhat similar problem with the PDK on my -09 C4S. My dealership didn't take long to establish that the box would have to be taken apart to fix the problem which as we all know they're not allowed to do. Given these restrictions I doubt they have neither the the tools, nor the knowledge to deal with it anyway. So my dealer got approval from my extended warranty company to replace the PDK ($14,000) which took less than one day. As I recall it, I had the car back with a new PDK installed four days after the flatbed dropped my car off at the dealer.

Three questions:

1. What extended warranty company do you use?
2. Where in their policy does it state that they don't cover a broken transmission.
3. Where in their policy does it state that they don't cover parts/components that are "unserviceable" and therefore require full replacement?
Old 04-01-2019 | 06:49 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

ZF is pretty tight lipped on the PDK, they will not answer any questions on it. But I have to say if someone built it, then it can be re-built or at least worked on? Seems odd that no workshop or garage has cracked one open?
Old 04-02-2019 | 03:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
ZF is pretty tight lipped on the PDK, they will not answer any questions on it. But I have to say if someone built it, then it can be re-built or at least worked on? Seems odd that no workshop or garage has cracked one open?
Actually one has. In Jay Leno's garage:

Old 04-02-2019 | 03:15 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

so we have to call Leno to get any work done on a PDK? looks like part #11, #14, #21 from the OP question in the foreground
Old 04-03-2019 | 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
so we have to call Leno to get any work done on a PDK? looks like part #11, #14, #21 from the OP question in the foreground
Maybe not. Had a recent bad experience with the Porsche dealership I've done business with for almost 10 years so called the most reputable independent in town. They have certified Porsche techs. and the shop manager told me they have much less restrictions on what they can and can't do with the PDK than the dealerships. I don't need any PDK work and can't remember how we got on that subject but will look further into this in case I ever do.
Old 04-03-2019 | 12:04 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Don't forget, OP is in Europe.

Quick Reply: Problem with PDK on 997