Sponsored by:

Launch Edition - please explain

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Launch Edition - please explain

When browsing classified ads I sometimes see 911's described as "launch edition". What does this mean? Would it add value to an '05 S for example? How would I know if my '05 is a launch edition car?
Old 03-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Launch editions are loaded with every available option.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sailorlite
When browsing classified ads I sometimes see 911's described as "launch edition". What does this mean? Would it add value to an '05 S for example? How would I know if my '05 is a launch edition car?
Easiest way to tell if an -05 C2S is a launch car is to check the color of the brake calipers and the color of the car. The -05 C2S launch car came with ceramic brakes which has yellow calipers and all those cars were black. Some guys paint their calipers so confirm that they're the real thing. I think the -05 launch car came with full leather also but not 100% sure on that. The brakes are the big giveaway since I think very few (if any) added very expensive ceramic brakes to an -05 997 with standard brakes.

Pete....can you clean this up with what's correct if I went off the rail?

Last edited by sandwedge; 03-30-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:09 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Easiest way to tell if an -05 C2S is a launch car is to check the color of the brake calipers and the color of the car. The -05 C2S launch car came with ceramic brakes which has yellow calipers and all those cars were black. Some guys paint their calipers so confirm that they're the real thing. I think the -05 launch car came with full leather also but not 100% sure on that. The brakes are the big giveaway since I think very few (if any) added very expensive ceramic brakes to an -05 997 with standard brakes.

Plus, if you have access to the list of options, Launch Edition has its own option code - I think it is code 762.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

As others have said brakes are a dead giveaway. As far as value is concerned, it has lots of $$$ in options, the brakes themselves were like a $25k add I think. That said some people don’t like the brakes due to the potential $18k brake job they might need for new rotors.

One added value to me is to know that it has the smaller IMS which you can replace. After around late Feb/March they switched, so with 05, unless it is a really early car you never know if you have the small bearing or the large.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

The 05 Launch Edition package as offered on the C2S includes:

Adaptive Sport seats (look for the shoulder wings sticking out the sides) like on my 997 office chair

The PCCB brakes (carbon ceramics), These are yellow and have 6 piston front calipers (look for the 3 piston humps instead of the normal 2 on the Big Red brakes). Rotors also look very different than regular steel rotors, as they're ceramic. They need to be checked very carefully during the PPI for chips in the edges as replacement cost is about $5,000 per rotor new. Look like this.

Only color offered is black exterior and black interior

Also has the Sport Chrono option. Center console should have a "Sport" button and the top of the dash will have the sport Chrono lap timer "wart"

Dash wart in this pics and these are the regular comfort seats, not the Adaptive sport seats so you can see the difference.

See the Sport button 3rd from the left

All of them are S cars, which means the 3.8L motor, PASM suspension, Bose audio, and it should say 3.8 on the airbox in the engine compartment

There is also a special option code for Launch car if you run the VIN for the equipment. I can't remember the code though (might be 030).
​​​​​​
Launch cars are a great spec and were sold for a lot less money than starting with a C2S and adding all these options and packages. PCCB brakes alone were an $8,000 up charge, which is why they are pretty rare.

Being early 05 builds they all have the small IMS bearing that needs to be replaced with The IMS Solution if not already done. The upside is that this small bearing is replaceable. The larger bearing used from mid-05 through 2008 is a much better bearing but not replaceable and can still fail.

Good luck. If I was buying another 997, I would specifically seek out an 05 launch car.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Think they also got full leather. Between all the standard options was a way to ensure people who wanted the newest one would have to pay more for it.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Think they also got full leather. Between all the standard options was a way to ensure people who wanted the newest one would have to pay more for it.
Yes, full leather too. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, as it's a deal breaker feature for me when looking at P-cars.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a keeper, you won't find another like it.

Quick Reply: Launch Edition - please explain