Sponsored by:

997.2 PCM Audio stopped

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 12:21 PM
997Ferg
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
No, different animals all together. The .2 head unit sends a very different digital signal to the amp than a .1. The digital processing in the amps is completely different with the .2 head unit and amp able to read DVD A, transmit it via a single, multi-format signal to the amp, and the amp can decode it into its native 5.1 surround channels or other format as needed (the head unit transfers the digital signal and the amp decodes a whole variety of formats). Good luck with your diagnosis... keep us informed.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Would I run into any issue with a new Apple carplay head unit with a MOST adapter to output into the Bose amp? I know I’d lose the 5.1 and be limited to stereo. Wonder if this would solve the issue overall.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Ferg
Would I run into any issue with a new Apple carplay head unit with a MOST adapter to output into the Bose amp? I know I’d lose the 5.1 and be limited to stereo. Wonder if this would solve the issue overall.
I dunno. I am not into Apple, and regarding those MOST adapters.... with the .2, I read the MOST adapter is flaky... but maybe I just stumbled upon a problem. The MOST adapter's operation is different than the .1 because the protocols are different. I got the feeling, when the MOST stuff hit the market, that there is no market for the .2 MOST adapters hence lack of development.... I don't remember the details. But even if there was one that was solid, I would not use it. And this is only my opinion here..... there is no way that adapter will sound better than the native system and I want quality over any conveniences. Again, that is just my opinion.. There may... I am guessing here.... issues with my steering wheel controls and the like but I am not sure... I really don't want any error messages on my dash. Not to say there would be, but sometimes there are roads I just wont venture down and this is one of them.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html The way this one works, is it allows you to replace the head unit with aftermarket and keep the amp under the seat. IMO, this is just crazy... but that is just me. I fully believe to improve sound quality, you must replace the amp not the head unit....the head unit operates mostly in the digital domain.. the amp is analog baddie. No way that MOST adapter produces good quality sound.... or at least better than the native system. Again, in my opinion. I am about sound quality not cool features connected to a cell phone. Put it this way, I cringe when I turn on XM... I enjoy the programming but the sound offends me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-23-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:51 PM
997Ferg
Rennlist Member

I dunno. I am not into Apple, and regarding those MOST adapters.... with the .2, I read the MOST adapter is flaky... but maybe I just stumbled upon a problem. The MOST adapter is different than the .1 because the protocols are different. I got the feeling, when the MOST stuff hit the market, that there is no market for the .2 MOST adapters hence lack of development.... I don't remember the details. But even if there was one that was solid, I would not use it. And this is only my opinion here..... there is no way that adapter will sound better than the native system and I want quality over any conveniences. Again, that is just my opinion.. There may... I am guessing here.... issues with my steering wheel controls and the like but I am not sure... I really don't want any error messages on my dash. Not to say there would be, but sometimes there are roads I just wont venture down and this is one of them.

As I understand how the MOST adapter works is renders the under-seat amp is dead. If that amp is the problem, then problem solved..... now that is for our .2 problem of the amp cutting out but still playing the sub-woofer. This issue appears to be the dominant problem with the .2 system.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Good input, thank you.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:04 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,751 Posts

Do you need adapter wiring harnesses to just install an aftermarket head unit?

I spoke to a reputable local shop, and he mentioned a $800 or so harness/adapter plus the head unit to hook up to the existing amp.

quite confusing.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update...

oh oh.... new issue. I powered up the unit and the AM radio played... wha? I know I had it on XM.... hit the button and XM disappeared!!! No XM... then I pushed the button again, and there it was.... I selected it and it worked fine. My programmed buttons et al were fine. Goofy!!!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-13-2021, 05:21 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 202 Posts
Default And this is why I love this forum ....

I was happily driving my 2010 4S Cab back from my first Covid shot this morning when I stopped at a gas station on the way home to fill up. It was about an hour away, and with the top down and 48 degrees I had the heat blasting and the radio jacked up pretty loud. Restarting the engine after gassing up, I got Sub-only audio with nothing from any of the other speakers, and the sub was hot to the touch (presumably from blasting the heat in the footwell along with the dash vents).

With 91k on the clock, this has never happened before, so as soon as I got home I fired up a search for "Radio" in the 997 forum to see what you guys had already figured out on this. Needless to say, I was thrilled to see 185 posts (now 186 posts) identifying this problem and sharing solutions. Having spent the better part of an hour reading through all of this, I think I'm landing in Bruce's camp of this being a heat-related shutdown (at least for me). Like you guys, just turning it off while driving didn't solve it, but all was well after 30 minutes in the garage at home as it fired right up after cooling down. So like you guys, I'll keep an eye on it, and if this starts happening with some regularity I'll throw some of the thermal paste in that seemed to work for Bruce.
I found myself kind of nerding out on the details in this thread, so thanks for all of the impressive sleuthing on this

Last edited by North Shore 911; 04-14-2021 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I was happily driving my 2010 4S Cab back from my first Covid shot this morning when I stopped at a gas station on the way home to fill up. It was about an hour away, and with the top down and 48 degrees I had the heat blasting and the radio jacked up pretty loud. Restarting the engine after gassing up, I got Sub-only audio with nothing from any of the other speakers, and the sub was hot to the touch (presumably from blasting the heat in the footwell along with the dash vents).

With 91k on the clock, this has never happened before, so as soon as I got home I fired up a search for "Radio" in the 997.2 forum to see what you guys had already figured out on this. Needless to say, I was thrilled to see 185 posts (now 186 posts) identifying this problem and sharing solutions. Having spent the better part of an hour reading through all of this, I think I'm landing in Bruce's camp of this being a heat-related shutdown (at least for me). Like you guys, just turning it off while driving didn't solve it, but all was well after 30 minutes in the garage at home as it fired right up after cooling down. So like you guys, I'll keep an eye on it, and if this starts happening with some regularity I'll throw some of the thermal paste in that seemed to work for Bruce.
I found myself kind of nerding out on the details in this thread, so thanks for all of the impressive sleuthing on this
Welcome to the club!!! I've had this happen on a cold morning first start so I'm not in the too hot camp. I've had the problem after a simple power off and on within seconds routine. I've had it fixed by shutting down the motor and starting up up immediately. So that tells me it's a power on problem. But I've also had it self heal while driving. So who knows???
The following users liked this post:
Sam-g (10-23-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:35 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,751 Posts

Well . . . its warming up in the South and my radio works most of the time now.

Maybe someone can find the magic bullet before fall. Ha.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still no real answer.........

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-14-2021, 03:01 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope, no real answer. I'm partial to the theory about intermittent capacitors. I've had this happen to me on cold/cool days (even with the top down!) so I'm a bit skeptical about it being heat per se. I could see heat exacerbating a capacitor problem but it has occurred at times when I wouldn't think heat was an issue unless the heat built up and wasn't being dissipated properly.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

New!!! How to reset PCM units... I have not tried it yet. Maybe....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-06-2021, 01:18 PM
997Ferg
Rennlist Member

New!!! How to reset PCM units... I have not tried it yet. Maybe....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

https://youtu.be/2ZZjRpdYaKo

https://youtu.be/IQScdilsEgM
Good find Bruce! Maybe that could help our issues.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM
eschreyer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New info that (hopefully) will help others: My wife's 2014 Cayenne base w/ Bose audio had the same symptoms as described earlier: audio fine when car is in ACC mode, but after the car starts, only the subwoofer is heard. Larrysb's logic is sound; the DSP portion of the amp is functional, as audio is coming from the subwoofer, but the drivers for the rest of the speakers aren't getting power. I removed the amp and opened it to look at the circuit board, but all looked ok, nothing burnt, etc. My rework skills and equipment are lacking, so I sent the unit to Circuit Board Medics in Greenville, SC. Overnight express, same-day turnaround and the audio works as it should. I did open the unit up before I reinstalled it and lo and behlold, the capacitors had been replaced. My guess is that some of them deteriorate to the point that thermal or current fluctuation push the power circuit enough that it ceases to function. For those with similar issues, and board rework skills, this may be an inexpensive fix.
I know this is a 997 forum thread, but the audio systems are pretty similar. The amp in our 958 has a p/n 7PP.035.223.AA which comes up as a Boxster amp, so I'm guessing these are all pretty similar.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:39 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by eschreyer
New info that (hopefully) will help others: My wife's 2014 Cayenne base w/ Bose audio had the same symptoms as described earlier: audio fine when car is in ACC mode, but after the car starts, only the subwoofer is heard. Larrysb's logic is sound; the DSP portion of the amp is functional, as audio is coming from the subwoofer, but the drivers for the rest of the speakers aren't getting power. I removed the amp and opened it to look at the circuit board, but all looked ok, nothing burnt, etc. My rework skills and equipment are lacking, so I sent the unit to Circuit Board Medics in Greenville, SC. Overnight express, same-day turnaround and the audio works as it should. I did open the unit up before I reinstalled it and lo and behlold, the capacitors had been replaced. My guess is that some of them deteriorate to the point that thermal or current fluctuation push the power circuit enough that it ceases to function. For those with similar issues, and board rework skills, this may be an inexpensive fix.
I know this is a 997 forum thread, but the audio systems are pretty similar. The amp in our 958 has a p/n 7PP.035.223.AA which comes up as a Boxster amp, so I'm guessing these are all pretty similar.

Excellent information and in line with what others have been saying. Is it possible other parts were also replaced?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Fabulous!!! Cost?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 PCM Audio stopped