Help About to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help About to pull the trigger

Hi all
Hoping to purchase a 2009 4S with 76K. It's about 450 miles away so had a PPI done by the Porsche dealership.
Did a quick search but on a time schedule as I am at work and hoping to negotiate down the price.
Not sure if these are common problems and if it's expensive or DIY repairs (i.e. is it just plugged?). They didn't do diagnostics nor am I next to the car to check myself.
Hoping to fly out Saturday to pick it up, but have some more negotiating to do.

1. HVAC re-circulation not switching
2. One of the headlamp washer isn't working
3. Window Washer isn't working (don't know if there is motor noise or not). I know the original dealer/owner (it's on consignment) original tank was empty, currently full, so could just be clogged with debris?
4. right front door switch

Had been up to date for most of its life (dealer records) but all the 4wd/ PDK/brake fluids need to be replaced. FYI, Porsche fluid is expensive, who needs fine wine.
Needs "major service" which seems like sparks plugs and oil (which is up to date) and lots of checking. (which was just done)
Serpentine belt glazed. few other odds and ends
rear brakes at 5mm, will need soon.

But mechanically and cosmetically looks great per dealer.
Have the dealer quotes for the diagnostic top 3, but obviously no repair advice.

Thanks in advance,
Hope to join the club

Cheers,
Brad

Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Whats the asking price? What are the options? Im guessing 36-38k with those problems

Window washer might be simple fix with just hose coming loose under the plastic tray where the nozzles are. Happened to me.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Asking 39,900
Cabriolet
loaded
PDK,
heated/vented seats,
blue tooth
navi
Sport Chrono'
High end Bose
steering wheel controls
Universal audio
Bi color int, crest etc.
Pwr comfort seats both
Black on Tan

Last edited by Pbrad; 03-14-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

2 & 3 are super easy cheap fixes. Not sure on 1 & 4 and those are not super common. The bigger question I would have is why are so many easy/cheap maintenance items neglected. If the person neglected standard easy to see items what else was neglected and how was it treated when driven.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Rumor has it, he and the car live in Florida where the car spent most of its life then made its way north where it is used when he is in town.
Car fax shows low mileage the last three years.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbrad
Rumor has it, he and the car live in Florida where the car spent most of its life then made its way north where it is used when he is in town.
Car fax shows low mileage the last three years.
Well that would account for the neglect.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
2 & 3 are super easy cheap fixes. Not sure on 1 & 4 and those are not super common. The bigger question I would have is why are so many easy/cheap maintenance items neglected. If the person neglected standard easy to see items what else was neglected and how was it treated when driven.

I tend to look at it similarly.

I'm not big on purchasing a Porsche thats missing several different services and/or has a number of small issues to address. Just seems like the previous owner wasn't too careful about taking care of it. I'm not saying my Porsche purchase needs a spotless car that needs nothing. But it shouldn't be a number of small/cheap/easy fixes that were neglected as well services that were not done.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

"cosmetically looks great per dealer" is the most subjective I think.

Also I don't think a Serpentine belt feels like a "backburner" item if it's visibly worn out? you might be looking at 2-6k with brakes and that list, just my .2 cents.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You folks are tough! Not everyone is as **** as we are about car maintenance. If the major items are attended to like oil services, water pump replacement etc, I would not hesitate if it was a car that I liked in terms of options and colors. If you are inclined to do your own service, these things can be easily handled and done affordable. You might be able to negotiate down a bit due to the brakes. 5mm is getting close, particularly for Porsche brake system. I had a few minor things that were needed on my car and the previous owner was very good at maintaining the car. I actually enjoyed fixing and addressing the items as I bonded with the car. Just my two cents.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Appreciate the input!
Currently can get for around 36,500. Voiceprint1 is correct. Will need about 6K to bring up to date. Hope to do some of the hardware stuff myself and maybe the spark plugs to save some money (talked with SA about the serpentine belt. it is okay (no cracks) but is definitely on the short list of what needs to get done)
But Would then own a heavily optioned (see above) Gen 2 4S Cabriolet that is up to date on all its maintenance with new rear brakes. Though the tires are at 06 mm and will need replaced soon.
This will be a weekend, second car so could walk away.

Thanks for everyones advice.
Love to hear what you think of the price or just walk away etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Appreciate the input!
Currently can get for around 36,500. Voiceprint1 is correct. Will need about 6K to bring up to date. Hope to do some of the hardware stuff myself and maybe the spark plugs to save some money (talked with SA about the serpentine belt. it is okay (no cracks) but is definitely on the short list of what needs to get done)
But Would then own a heavily optioned (see above) Gen 2 4S Cabriolet that is up to date on all its maintenance with new rear brakes. Though the tires are at 06 mm and will need replaced soon.
This will be a weekend, second car so could walk away.

Thanks for everyones advice.
Love to hear what you think of the price or just walk away etc.
In my opinion I think the price is fair. As I mentioned, you could do a lot yourself especially if it is a weekend car and you can take your time. The serpentine belt is $50 in parts and 25 minutes of your time. A no brainer. Plugs are a bit more challenging but many have done it. It’s hard to find the right car with the right options. This one has pretty good service records according to your post. That’s valuable. Post pics if you have them.

Last edited by jll1011; 03-14-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding more content
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Over all, that's a pretty good deal.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Appreciate the input!
Currently can get for around 36,500. Love to hear what you think of the price or just walk away etc.
If you can get it for $36,500 that's a great deal. Fix what you can yourself and for 40k have a nice convertible C4S.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 AM
Pbrad
Advanced

Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
If you can get it for $36,500 that's a great deal. Fix what you can yourself and for 40k have a nice convertible C4S.
This.

Quick Reply: Help About to pull the trigger