Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here done the "IMS solution"? What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 03:10 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Anyone here done the "IMS solution"? What to expect?

I have a very early 2005 997.1. It sounds like you can NOT know for sure if it is early enough for the single row without tearing it apart, but my engine number and build date sure seem to fall on the side of it being extremely high probability (if not a guarantee).

I am in South OC, and doing some research, it appears that there is only one shop that does them in all of Calif and this is in Torrance (about an hour away). My car is still on an extended fidelity platinum program until Aug of this year, so if a major failure doesn't happen by then (which it probably won't since I only drive it about 500 miles a month at most). Just before that point, I will need to do the full IMS solution (it appears this is the most bullet proof kit). The car only has 33k miles so I guess I also need to figure out if doing the clutch at the same time makes sense (no signs of slipping at this point). So a few questions?

1. does this have to be done by only certain certified shops?
2. What is the typical cost with and without clutch?
3. Why do I see some kits online (CARDid) for around $1300 and others for almost $1900
4. I already have the thread on oil adapter and magnetic drain plug, is there a way to get the kit without those items?
5. What is your general feeling about the kit, are you happy with it?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,946 Posts

Having owned 3 996C4S's and concerned about possible IMS failure, I highly recommend just biting the bullet and replacing your IMS bearing. I've had the IMS bearing replaced in 2 of those 996's
With a good honest reliable indy mechanic who charges realistic labor rates, you should be able to get the bearing installed as well and RMS and clutch for $1500 labor
The IMS bearings cost $700, clutch $525 and RMS $25 = $1250 ---> Cost of labor to remove transmission, install bearing/RMS and clutch/re-install transmission($1400), it is a no brainer.

So for a rough total of $2600-$2700, you have a new clutch along with new IMS bearing which will not only give you peace of mind BUT increase the value of your Porsche and make it a more desirable car for the next buyer.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I have a very early 2005 997.1. It sounds like you can NOT know for sure if it is early enough for the single row without tearing it apart, but my engine number and build date sure seem to fall on the side of it being extremely high probability (if not a guarantee).

I am in South OC, and doing some research, it appears that there is only one shop that does them in all of Calif and this is in Torrance (about an hour away). My car is still on an extended fidelity platinum program until Aug of this year, so if a major failure doesn't happen by then (which it probably won't since I only drive it about 500 miles a month at most). Just before that point, I will need to do the full IMS solution (it appears this is the most bullet proof kit). The car only has 33k miles so I guess I also need to figure out if doing the clutch at the same time makes sense (no signs of slipping at this point). So a few questions?

1. does this have to be done by only certain certified shops?
2. What is the typical cost with and without clutch?
3. Why do I see some kits online (CARDid) for around $1300 and others for almost $1900
4. I already have the thread on oil adapter and magnetic drain plug, is there a way to get the kit without those items?
5. What is your general feeling about the kit, are you happy with it?

Thanks!
1. Not necessarily, but if you want it done right with a warranty, then you need a certified shop.
2. Of course, it all depends on how much work is involved on your specific car. Pre-qualification may reveal extra work that must be done before a certified shop is willing to install the bearing. It's always wise to change out the RMS, AOS, clutch, and flywheel along with the IMS solution. You save labor down the road. The IMS solution by itself is $1900.00. I don't want to spit out a figure. Best advice is contact a certified shop and get some numbers depending on the other preventive items you want installed.
3. That's a good question. You should direct it to LN. I would be careful buying anything from a non-authorized reseller of LN products. Apparently, from reading many threads, they're having problems with copycat bearings and people trying to sell used bearings. LN just posted on that topic today on their Facebook page.
4. Based on what I remember, the retrofit and IMS solution bearings are only sold as a complete package.
5. Happy? Absolutely, best thing I've ever done for this car. I'm keeping it. That's why I put the investment in the motor.

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 03-12-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:28 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Guys, keep in mind that the question is about the Solution, not the Retrofit. So cost to install will be much higher...unless you are recommending that he skip the Solution in favor of the Retrofit.

Given the age and condition of the car, and assuming OP will not be doing the labor, I'd probably lean toward doing the Solution along with the extras that groovzilla mentioned. However, I'd wait until it is out of warranty. If there is any trouble with the engine between the install of the Solution and the end of the warranty, OP risks having the claim bounced because the engine has been modified. Since he assumes no risk by leaving the bearing in place, I'd schedule any work for August.

Originally Posted by rodH
I have a very early 2005 997.1. It sounds like you can NOT know for sure if it is early enough for the single row
I think you mean the larger IMS bearing. All 997 IMSB's are single row. ;-)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, I am speaking of the IMS solution, not the retrofit. The solution is supposed to be the most robust of the options out there, and even though it is more expensive for the parts and labor, I consider it a worthwhile cost of ownership. I was doing some research a while ago and for some reason I had around $3k in my mind. I can't remember if that included the RMS and clutch as well. I guess it would be worth the piece of mind to do the clutch at the same time since everything is already taken apart.

I had no idea there were imitations out there (to be honest, it seems like an extremely niche market, so that wouldn't seem to make as much sense as say a fake Rolex) so that is good to know.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:50 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

After doing an extensive search, I did find a good thread on the issue/cost.... Looks like it can range from $3k to $8k, depending on condition and what else is done in there. The more realistic numbers seem to be $4-5k

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ll-west-3.html
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 AM
911Consultant
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im having IMS/RMS/Clutch done as we speak- IMS retrofit kit- on a 2005 53k mile car. The Indy doing it is a Porsche/Ferrari trained shop- 3350.00 out the door. Recent oil change by me, cut open filter, no debris so I install a magnetic plug and drop it off at the Indy. I have an early build car-9/04- so its peace of mind as it will no longer be a garage queen , ill be driving it quite a bit and if/when I sell the car will hold value. The retrofit is over engineered compared to the OEM bearing and the Indys around here at least have a ton more experience on the retrofit install.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Consultant
Im having IMS/RMS/Clutch done as we speak- IMS retrofit kit- on a 2005 53k mile car. The Indy doing it is a Porsche/Ferrari trained shop- 3350.00 out the door. Recent oil change by me, cut open filter, no debris so I install a magnetic plug and drop it off at the Indy. I have an early build car-9/04- so its peace of mind as it will no longer be a garage queen , ill be driving it quite a bit and if/when I sell the car will hold value. The retrofit is over engineered compared to the OEM bearing and the Indys around here at least have a ton more experience on the retrofit install.
interesting and thanks for feedback. May I ask how you decided on retrofit vs solution kit? Yours is built a month before mine. Indeed and early build. My engine number is
M97/016850477X. Car Build date of 10/04
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

The Retrofit has an expected service life. The Solution is a lifetime oil bearing as it doesn't have moving parts to wear. Personally, I'd only do The Solution.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an early '05, originally got the single row LN at 30K miles (as it was the only one on the market then), then when the engine needed rebuilding at 62K due to bore scoring I got an RND engine and had them upgrade it from the single-row-pro (dual row) ballbearing to The Solution, which from an engineering standpoint I feel is truly The Solution to Porsche's flawed design. For the additional cost which is about a grand, I have a device with virtually zero probability of failure, no need to ever replace it for the life of the engine (which is a plus to a potential future buyer), and finally it can be re-used if the engine ever needs rebuilding again (which I sure hope it does not!).

Btw about the spin-on adapter, unfortunately the one for The Solution is different from the standalone...has the oil takeoff port, and takes a different filter. You might be able to clean yours up and resell it to someone though, Idk.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a quote for $6k with a clutch. I decided on the retrofit instead for a bit shy of $4k.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM
Jersey John
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groovy dude
I got a quote for $6k with a clutch. I decided on the retrofit instead for a bit shy of $4k.
I have a 2000 Boxster S with 60k miles. I just did the dual row retrofit this week. I bought the car for 10650. The bearing, clutch , RMS and oil change was almost $3000. I couldn't see spending another grand for a total of $4000, almost 40% of what I paid for the car for the "solution". If you have a 911, I could see it as the car is worth substantially more than a Boxster. I know one thing. Selling a car without an IMS replacement is going to be difficult without a big discount. I did not want to be the guy that took his almost mint condition Boxster out of the garage for a trip to Florida and blow an engine in the Carolinas.

Quick Reply: Anyone here done the "IMS solution"? What to expect?