Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:44 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Guys, thank you all for your feedback. We landed on a price that was agreeable, I put a deposit down, and I'm having a PPI done on the car tomorrow at Mayo Performance.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Good for you. Meteor Grey is actually my favorite Porsche color, yet I don't own one in it

Might just be the lighting, but there looks to be some wrinkling or distortion in the leather on the upper section of the driver's seat and on the airbag. Maybe you can use these as negotiating points. Full leather is a must-have for me and this car has it, otherwise it's a pretty standard 997.1 S with a couple nice options - Sport Chrono & heated seats, but not a lot of options (i.e. PSE, Sport Seats, PCCBs, etc).

Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Hey Guys, thank you all for your feedback. We landed on a price that was agreeable, I put a deposit down, and I'm having a PPI done on the car tomorrow at Mayo Performance.
Hope the PPI goes well! If it all works out maybe we can go for a drive once all this snow melts.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:42 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 184 Posts

Congratulations! Hopefully the PPI comes back good and you will be driving your 911 soon. I know Ed Mayo and you are certainly in good hands at his shop.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

Good luck with the PPI. Mayo is good people.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:05 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Good for you. Meteor Grey is actually my favorite Porsche color, yet I don't own one in it

Might just be the lighting, but there looks to be some wrinkling or distortion in the leather on the upper section of the driver's seat and on the airbag. Maybe you can use these as negotiating points. Full leather is a must-have for me and this car has it, otherwise it's a pretty standard 997.1 S with a couple nice options - Sport Chrono & heated seats, but not a lot of options (i.e. PSE, Sport Seats, PCCBs, etc).
Thanks, I dig Meteor Grey too

I also noticed that S-shaped crease on the upper driver's seat. It's not as prevalent when you look at the picture from the passenger side door, but it's definitely there. Karl confirmed it when I had him take a look at the car while I was on the phone. It just appears to be a slightly odd wear/stretch pattern, but not a deal breaker for me. Possibly something that an upholstery shop could correct?

When you say the airbag, are you referring to the driver's airbag on the steering wheel around the crest? I think that is just the design of the 997.1 Sport Wheels. Let me know if you're seeing something else.

Originally Posted by JoshGordon
Hope the PPI goes well! If it all works out maybe we can go for a drive once all this snow melts.
Deal!

Originally Posted by TYPE911
Congratulations! Hopefully the PPI comes back good and you will be driving your 911 soon. I know Ed Mayo and you are certainly in good hands at his shop.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Thanks! And thank you for all of your guidance on the back channels. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by saabin
Good luck with the PPI. Mayo is good people.
Thanks. It goes in this morning. I'll keep you all posted....

Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Thanks, I dig Meteor Grey too

When you say the airbag, are you referring to the driver's airbag on the steering wheel around the crest? I think that is just the design of the 997.1 Sport Wheels. Let me know if you're seeing something else.
I see pictures of quite a few of them that don't have that seam nearly as visible. It's clearly where they airbag case opens (crest stays on the left side), but seems much more pronounced in these pictures on this car than I've seen before.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

GIG, update on your PPI please We need another 997 owner!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
I see pictures of quite a few of them that don't have that seam nearly as visible. It's clearly where they airbag case opens (crest stays on the left side), but seems much more pronounced in these pictures on this car than I've seen before.

Interesting. In the second pic you posted, you can see it, but it's faint. In the third pic (black wheel), it looks like it would show more if the exposure/lighting was better. Maybe its the bright lighting and the exposure on the pics that Dallas Motorsports posted. Kind of like that crease in the seat that doesn't seem as prevalent on the passenger side view where the lighting seems more balanced.

Never the less, good eye and thank you for the feedback!

But good to know the crest will deploy to the left side instead of tattooing my forehead in case of an accident
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by jll1011
Going good. Did you see my other post (below)? Slight moment of panic/concern, but after talking to a bunch of people (including Flat 6 Innovations), no one seems concerned about the #6 cylinder scope pics that I posted.

Bore Scoring or Normal Wear

I'm still waiting to hear back on the final results of the PPI. When I talked to them earlier, it sounds like the coil packs are cracked and need to be replaced, but nothing major.

Stay tuned....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I did see your previous post a short while ago. You have the right experts involved for sure. Hoping it all works out for you.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:10 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

After viewing those dealership pics, the center of the steering wheel looks wrong to my eye, there are several pics of it, and it looks like the plastic is bulging or deforming around something? Could this be from an airbag being improperly installed after a crash? Maybe that's what caused that odd deforming on the driver side seat back.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
After viewing those dealership pics, the center of the steering wheel looks wrong to my eye, there are several pics of it, and it looks like the plastic is bulging or deforming around something? Could this be from an airbag being improperly installed after a crash? Maybe that's what caused that odd deforming on the driver side seat back.

It looks like most of the Sport Steering wheels I've seen on these cars. Some pics capture it, some don't, but I don't think it is abnormal.

The car I'm looking at has a clean Carfax (no accidents or airbag deployments, at least according to them).

Here is a pic of one I just pulled off the Internet. You can see the same pattern around the crest.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

I guess I never noticed that on any 997 I have driven, but maybe it's due to the type of steering wheel or model type?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:35 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by jll1011
Haha, work'n on it!

Well, it's been a roller coaster today. Here is a quick summary of the PPI

- Pulled the #6 plug, no fouling, bore scope turned up "streaking", but not scoring. I'm not totally dismissing it, but based on everyone I talked to today and sent pictures to (my Indy, Flat 6 Innovations, Mayo of course), no one seemed overly concerned with the streak marks in the cylinder. It's not to say that bore scoring couldn't eventually present itself in this engine, but it could in any of ours at some point. Both Bryan and Chris at Mayo (Chris has taken the Jake Raby classes) said that what they saw would not deter them from buying the car.
- DME came back as follows:
Range 1: 1395
Range 2: 97
Range 3: 2
Range 4: 1
Range 5: 1
Range 6: 0
The previous owner probably bumped into the rev limiter a few times and ranges 3-5 seem to be anomalies, so I'm not concerned here.
- Coil packs appear to be original and have begun to crack. Probably need to knock that out (along with spark plugs) sooner than later
- Paint thickness seemed to be higher on the front and rear passenger side, but the same on the passenger door. He thought that there might have been a spot that showed some overspray on a seal where they masked off the rear passenger window. He said all door gaps and seems looked perfect, as did the paint. He said it was a bit of a head scratcher. He also said that if there was paint work done on that side, it was an excellent job.
- Possible weep from rear main seal. He said it was hard to determine if it had leaked previously and the weep was from that, or if it has just begun slightly. We're guessing the clutch is original, so most likely have the RMS replaced when the clutch comes due for replacement in the next couple of years.
- A few other small things: rear wing deploys but is slightly noisy, condensation/fogging in both headlight housings, minor curb rash on passenger side wheels, ignition switch is slightly loose.

Overall, Mayo said the car is in above average condition for its age, with below average miles. I'm going to remit final payment tomorrow, and determine if I'm going to drive it back to CO or ship it. Either way, hopefully it is in my garage within two weeks.

Lastly, Mayo Performance has been absolutely top notch! Not only were they able to arrange this PPI in under 24 hours, they have extremely responsive and helpful answering all of my questions throughout the whole process. A+ operation all around.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. It has been very helpful!

G

Quick Reply: Price Check/Dallas Motorsports Experience?