Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new indy scratched my seat...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My new indy scratched my seat...

Recently moved to a new area. I live deep in the country, so I have to travel 2h to get my car serviced. Went to an indy shop that is fairly well regarded here, and they did a lot of work for me at a very fair price. Unfortunately, I get home and notice this...

I've gotten in and out of my car hundreds of time wearing this particular pair of pants, so I know it wasn't me.

It looks pretty gnarly. Thoughts on how to proceed? I don't want to go back there and cause a scene if this is something I can fix. But if I can't, it sure looks bad.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I think a good conditioner like Lexol will maybe buff that out. I wouldn’t try much more, you might end up making it worse.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:55 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to see this. Not sure where you are in NC but my buddy here uses a great seat touch up guy. He comes to your house and matches the color. I'm in the Charlotte area. PM me if you want.

You might want to consider using a dealer in the future so you are more comfortable showing them mistakes they make. I had my dealer give me one of those thick seat covers in case it ever has to go someplace else to be serviced in an emergency.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Sorry to see this. Not sure where you are in NC but my buddy here uses a great seat touch up guy. He comes to your house and matches the color. I'm in the Charlotte area. PM me if you want.

You might want to consider using a dealer in the future so you are more comfortable showing them mistakes they make. I had my dealer give me one of those thick seat covers in case it ever has to go someplace else to be serviced in an emergency.
Hey thank you. I'm actually not in NC anymore, haven't updated my location. Living in the Midwest now. I'm sure if I call some of the Mercedes and BMW dealerships around here they can recommend a similar seat guy.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Leather in a bottle from Zano Brothers works on scuffs like that really well. Use a generous amount on the scuff place some sandwich baggies over it then on low heat use a blow dryer to warm up the area. Use gentle passes over the area rather than a constant stream of heat. Cheers
Old 02-23-2019, 03:35 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like he sat down in the seat with a screw driver in his rear pocket...ask me how I know.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:49 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 317 Posts

Leatherique and move on with life
Old 02-23-2019, 07:29 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 284 Posts

Yep ... That why I never ever use dealerships ...My local dealership washes the car after service and i have seen the way they wash cars .... Never ever will any of my Porsches see the dealership. We all should have a trusted indy or trusted tech when we are forced to leave our babies for service besides you wouldn't just leave your kids to any baby sitter. Knowing the business and depending on what service is required most dealerships will have Jr technicians doing the teardown or easier service jobs. No Jr's near my cars ever ..
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
Leatherique and move on with life
Ditto on Leatherique. With the painted on finishes the damage is a bit different than with the natural finishes. You might be able to touch it up.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Yep ... That why I never ever use dealerships ...My local dealership washes the car after service and i have seen the way they wash cars .... Never ever will any of my Porsches see the dealership. We all should have a trusted indy or trusted tech when we are forced to leave our babies for service besides you wouldn't just leave your kids to any baby sitter. Knowing the business and depending on what service is required most dealerships will have Jr technicians doing the teardown or easier service jobs. No Jr's near my cars ever ..
This was not done by the dealership, but by an indy that is well regarded here on Rennlist. Honestly, when I take my car to the dealership, I worry a lot less than when I leave it with an indy. This hiccup has certainly reinforced that anxiety.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I took one of our cars to the local Lexus dealer. Dealer techs make mistakes, too.

Thats a bad scrape. I hope you find someone to fix it right.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

If it can't be fixed, anyone know where to buy a whole new seat?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:20 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

http://www.ladismantler.com/
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (05-07-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's so annoying. You could always reupholster it if it bothered you that much but I'd personally just try to buff it out and not sweat it.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Conditioners will not fix a scrape, in fact conditioners won't do anything on modern leather seats except sit on top of the finish. Because modern leather seats are painted, not dyed. The only way to fix that scrape would be to repaint it. If done well it will be invisible (I have done my seatback outer bolster), but be aware that the repainted finish (no matter who does it or what company the paint comes from) is more vulnerable to solvents than the original finish. Any product containing alcohol will dissolve the paint. So once you have a "redye" you need to be sure you or any shop you take it to, nobody uses anything other than water and a very mild soap. This is why those leather refinisher guys get most of their work at dealerships, prepping cars for resale. Personally I think if you can DIY it's so economical it makes sense to deal with the downside. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred bucks for someone to do it though. I once did just that, and the job the dealer-recommended "pro" did was not as good as what I DIYed. It's just not that much rocket science.

Quick Reply: My new indy scratched my seat...