Sponsored by:

997.2 Cross Over Pipe/Center Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:24 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Funny you mention that. I'm thinking about skipping the Gundo all together and going straight into a BB crossover... $200-300 or so for Gundo vs $550 for the BB

I would prefer not doing an irreversible hack job to the exhaust if possible, just wonder if having just a BB crossover will make it sound that much better.
Go with the Fister Sport Exhaust first... you will not be sorry as I'm very happy with mine. https://fdmotorsports.net/fister-sport-exhaust

At this point, I'm only considering additional x-pipes but not really for sound purposes but for potential performance improvement / weight savings.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Funny you mention that. I'm thinking about skipping the Gundo all together and going straight into a BB crossover... $200-300 or so for Gundo vs $550 for the BB

I would prefer not doing an irreversible hack job to the exhaust if possible, just wonder if having just a BB crossover will make it sound that much better.
$300 is kind of rapey for a Gundo Hack. Are you paying someone to swap in the crossover pipe? If so, you might be able to pay that person to do the hack while they’re in there.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu

that’s what I would recommend , I did Side cans first and thought it sounded like a broken muffler ....bb tied everything together
Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Had 997.1S before without PSE. The Fister exhaust really woke it up, definitely recommend it or the gundo hack.

Just got Sharkwerks center bypass installed in the 997.2 C4S with PSE. I would says its a 10-20% improvement in sound until you hit 4k RPM as mentioned by a different poster. Above 4k RPM its definitely louder in a good way, but still only a slight improvement. Will update as this is based off of only a couple of drives with the window down, with our glorious PNW rain and traffic.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:35 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu

I did the BB x pipe first. It was not a big change so I did the 2" gundo straight hack and the car came alive. I really thing you need both to get it sounding awesome.
I have a template for the Gundo if you want it. I fabbed the first from a cut paper towel centre cardboard piece, then templated the two inch with paper and just reversed it for the other side.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

My Billy Boats crossover comes in next week. Time will tell if it is enough. I don’t want it loud, but I want it louder than my minivan. If it is not loud enough I will dust off my welder and weld in either 1.75” stainless pipes or 2” pipes. I have heard the 1.75” is what Fister recommends, or so I read that somewhere.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:09 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I started with the SW center bypass, then added the "Gundo/Fister/PSE", then went back to SW center bypass only, then added a CAI. I can share that:
1) The SW bypass makes the biggest sound difference above 3,000 RPM and on engine start.
2) The muffler bypass affects lower RPM's.
3) SW bypass + muffler bypass was a little too loud for my taste (although most people seem to like it here)
4) A CAI intake also makes the biggest sound improvement above 3,000 RPM.

So, I'm currently running a SW bypass + CAI, and the car is very respectable at lower RPM's, but it really opens up (understatement) at higher RPM's, such as in sport mode, or when I punch it. But I can still drive into the parking garage at work without getting looks. The sound from this combo puts a smile on my face every time. I mention it because it's not talked about a lot on these forums.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

That is what I am looking for. Something that will sing when I put my foot into it at higher RPM’s. Can’t wait until next week.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 AM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
That is what I am looking for. Something that will sing when I put my foot into it at higher RPM’s. Can’t wait until next week.
I apologize if this has already been said, but don't discount the added sound an intake provides for these cars. My car from 4500+ screams inside. It completely changes the dynamic and makes a great howl. I will still be doing exhaust modifications, but the intake coupled with an x pipe will give you a great sound inside the car without being intrusive. Just the intake has kept me occupied for the past 8ish months.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuey
I apologize if this has already been said, but don't discount the added sound an intake provides for these cars. My car from 4500+ screams inside. It completely changes the dynamic and makes a great howl. I will still be doing exhaust modifications, but the intake coupled with an x pipe will give you a great sound inside the car without being intrusive. Just the intake has kept me occupied for the past 8ish months.
What kind of intake?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:48 AM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What kind of intake?
Fabspeed.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:12 PM
kdu
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I started with the SW center bypass, then added the "Gundo/Fister/PSE", then went back to SW center bypass only, then added a CAI. I can share that:
1) The SW bypass makes the biggest sound difference above 3,000 RPM and on engine start.
2) The muffler bypass affects lower RPM's.
3) SW bypass + muffler bypass was a little too loud for my taste (although most people seem to like it here)
4) A CAI intake also makes the biggest sound improvement above 3,000 RPM.

So, I'm currently running a SW bypass + CAI, and the car is very respectable at lower RPM's, but it really opens up (understatement) at higher RPM's, such as in sport mode, or when I punch it. But I can still drive into the parking garage at work without getting looks. The sound from this combo puts a smile on my face every time. I mention it because it's not talked about a lot on these forums.
Thanks for the input, this is great info. Any chance you have an audio clip of how it currently sounds? I also prefer a more reserved exhaust at lower RPM when just putting around town.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:29 PM
DocKill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Billy Boat Crossover. Minimal difference. Its got a bit more growl, and deeper sound. otherwise stock.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I will do a before (completely stock) and after (crossover only) with my car later this week. I will post later this week.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:08 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Well off to the garage to put this on after having Strep all week. Hoping I can put it on without removing the side cans. Any tips? Of yea no rusted hardware on
my car.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Cross Over Pipe/Center Muffler Delete