Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off topic, Aston Vantage opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Off topic, Aston Vantage opinions?

Ended up behind one of these again today. Each time I do I say to myself that 's one of those few cars I must own before my time is up . Anyone here have any seat time in a Vantage? As much as I like the looks of it I can't help but wondering if going from a 997 GTS (or any pre-991 for that matter) to a Vantage would introduce too much plush and luxury along with totally different driving characteristics. I think I already know the answer but just curious about other's opinions. Also really surprised at how inexpensive they've become. Maybe something should be read into that...

Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I think they photograph well but are less impressive in person. I was surprised how small the Vantage is. Great exhaust note though. But these are just my uninformed opinions. Never driven one.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
...Anyone here have any seat time in a Vantage?
Not personally.

But for what it’s worth, there are (as of the time of writing) 10 different 997.1/.2 vs. Vantage contemporary reviews listed here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-reviews.html

Karl.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

considered one....short lived.

they look nice and sound great....and thats it. they are not particularly quick (save for maybe the DBS or whatever), they don't handle or brake particularly well, and reliability and parts availability is hit or miss. I found the car pretty comfortable with good sight lines and a decent interior layout. The reverse gauges take some getting used to and that center stack/navigation is pretty dated at least on the older models. Not sure what the newest ones use, but the older ones are volvo units and not very good. They are a bit cheesy with their power/respect/heritage or whatever they flash on the screen every time u put the key in and the emotional response unit (i.e. the key that you shove into the dash hole). Ride quality wasn't bad, but on larger bumps/potholes it felt a bit harsh. Overall, a bit heavy on pomp & circumstance and a bit light on substance.

I also feel like since they used the design for so long, they tend to look dated. I used to love the design, but not so much any more.

If you want a good looking and good sounding GT without really seeking much sporting pretension, it might be a decent choice. Otherwise, there are better options.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Beautiful car.... but....

My friend's brother has one... can't remember what year.... anywho.. he made a big mistake.. thought he could track it..... barfed power steering fluid and had a few other problems. I have a picture of him pulling the car up on a flatbed from NJ track. Lotsa laughs given how proud hew was I don;t remember the numbers but ignition packs were stupid expensive. You are moving into Ferrari planetdumbness IMO. Super model territory... crumbs in the bed are nothing compared to the rest. You better have deep pockets.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are really heavy (3800 lbs) compared to 911s. The older ones from the 2000s are even heavier at over 4,000 lbs.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:40 AM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I went from an air-cooled 993 to an 06 Vantage. The 993 had Wevo semi solid motor mounts and Bilstien/HR springs along with a few other basic mod/upgrades. The Vantage is WAAY better looking in person than pictures, and everything is covered in leather. Both cars have a presence and everyone loves an Aston. For me though, the Aston was lethargic (see 96tiger's post, the Vantage is a heavy girl) with its steering ratio and throttle response. The car was comfortable like the 993 never could be, but for a weekend driver I'd pick the 993 every time. I have recently sold the Aston and am looking to get back into a Porsche. Porsches communicate so much and feel light on their feet compared to my year and a half experience with the Aston Martin. I'm looking at early boxsters or 996s with full leather (thanks Aston Martin) if anyone has any leads on clean cars. Having said all of that, I will get another Aston, but I will not be without a Porsche again. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Such beautiful cars. Every time I see one I just kinda gawk at it. Some of them are heavier, some are not. I don't have seat time, but have seriously considered one on more than one occasion. I was considering it before I even thought about getting a 997.2. Fella in my office has one and parks it up on the parking deck occaisionally. When my daily Cayman S (987.2) is parked up there nearby the size is very similar.

I'd have to go for a V12 if I went that route on the older vantage, the V8 on the 2019 would be plenty.. of course at the cost for a 2019 I'd be in a GT3, no questions asked. Also I have my doubts about it being robust on track. I'll likely end up buying one at some point once I'm a bit older, but not for abusing, for taking my wife on dates and such.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

I don't know crap about Aston's, other than that I think they're very pretty cars. Wasn't there a model called a Vanquish that was the sporty one vs the Vantage that was the GT one. I thought the Vanquish had a V12 to the Vantage's V8, but I could also be completely incorrect on all of this.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default NOT YET!

I've often said when I'm ready to slow down, the Vantage is the car I'd moved to. Now, maybe, the F-Type. Both great lookers (IMO, much prettier than the 911), and both more than adequate for canyon carving. But neither in the same handling and feel league as the 911, especially the GTS.

I get a wild hair now and again, and go drive one or the other. Each time, getting back into the GTS brings a bigger smile to my face.

75 now! I figure when I'm 90, I'll be ready to make the move.

​​​
Old 02-15-2019, 11:39 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Pete, just the reverse, the Vanquish is the larger GT, the Vantage the smaller GT. But there was (is?) a Vantage S with the V12. Note that I classify both as GTs, my opinion.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I own a British car. Just say no.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather not have to maintain that....
Speed and performance are really irrelevant in this electric car age, but yea, i don't know where i would get parts for an Aston.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

They are good cars with the clutch being the major achilles heel. Rich at Redpants (owner and enthusiast) supplied me with everything I needed during my Aston stewardship. He worked with other vendors to create aftermarket upgrades such as oil catch cans and air filter housings too. Anyone considering Aston ownership needs to look him and Velocity up for all Aston needs. If you're coming from a Porsche though... you'll be back! You just cannot beat the way a Porsche communicates to the driver.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I always look at them somewhat longingly and halfway consider getting one, but I'd only ever want a V12 manual variant. I know I'd be giving up something in performance and reliability over my Turbo, but man do they have panache to make up for it.

Quick Reply: Off topic, Aston Vantage opinions?