Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your PDK downshift in Sport/Sport+ mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
2009 is early software. I would insist no software upgrade.

Due to early version PDK drain plug problems your pan may need to be replaced. Don't assume ...
Pull the plug first and replace the pan only if needed (save $500).

Gear selection is different based upon how you are driving. Does it shift like this under heavy braking or hard acceleration or only when you gently coast to a lower speed?

Rev matching is so fluid you can almost miss it on these cars. It is not like the blip you get with a manual transmission.
Yes, I will ask Fremont to change the PDK fluid and if they can just pull the plug, good for me. If not, I will have to pony the money for it.

I haven't really driven the car hard so I haven't experienced heavy braking downshifts. And because I've seen this behavior, I tend not to downshift in higher RPMs, say 4k in third gear going into 2nd because I feel like there's unnecessary stress on the engine and transmission. I liken it to when you downshift in a manual car and just release the clutch without blipping the throttle, the engine gets "forced" to go into higher
RPMs.

Originally Posted by ADias
I was not referring to you. Your definition of rev matching is correct. When the transmission downshifts, say on braking hard from 4th gear, the engine will blip up to match the higher revs of 3rd or 2nd. That blip is more dramatic when this is done energetically - say 60MPH approaching a sharp turn in 4th gear, hard on the brakes, the engine blips up and the PDK engages 2nd to make the turn at 35MPH.

Since you are taking the car to Fremont, Gunter will check it out. Miles-wise you are low, but PDK requires clutch oil change at 6 years or 60k miles whichever is lower.
Thanks. Yes, I will hopefully get a tech to ride with me to confirm if this is within normal spec or not. Either way, I will have them change the PDK clutch oil as my father confirmed that he hasn't done any of those ever since getting the car.

Originally Posted by Balr14
If you are referring to downshifts that occur because you are slowing down, there is no need to rev match as the downshift won't occur until rpms drop. If you are referring to gear kickdown when you accelerate hard, the rpm increase and shift occur very closely and is not all that exciting. If you expect neck snapping acceleration you have the wrong car.
​​​​​​​I think this is the one I'm looking for. I'm not expecting neck snapping acceleration, but more of a more pronounced blip / tachometer needle snap when downshifting.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810

​​​​​​​I think this is the one I'm looking for. I'm not expecting neck snapping acceleration, but more of a more pronounced blip / tachometer needle snap when downshifting.
Who says there is no neck snapping acceleration on a 997.2S/PDK?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Who says there is no neck snapping acceleration on a 997.2S/PDK?
Two things:
- I have the Base model
- I didn't say it's not there, I just said I didn't expect it I do get some of that "put you back in your seat" acceleration from first to second gear, but not like the ones I experience from my C43 or F80 M3.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Two things:
- I have the Base model
- I didn't say it's not there, I just said I didn't expect it I do get some of that "put you back in your seat" acceleration from first to second gear, but not like the ones I experience from my C43 or F80 M3.
Try launch control...
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Try launch control...
Yup, one of the things I've been meaning to do. Will have Gunter sort it out first and make sure everything is good
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, that is correct. I drove it yesterday for a good 40-50 mins and everything was up to temp. Still, the tachometer needle wasn't snappy at all on downshifts. Instead of snapping into the higher RPMs, the tach needle would take its time to get to the RPM of the lower gear.

Had my wife take a short video yesterday while I was driving. Is that how it really shifts even in Sport+ mode? The warning indicators are for my TPMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_M5BT592Mw

Thanks for the insights folks, I will bring the car tomorrow to the dealership and have a tech ride with me and they can confirm if the behavior is normal or not for the first gen PDK.
if that was sport plus it should have brought tach up to redline 7k+
Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by Redhot2474

if that was sport plus it should have brought tach up to redline 7k+
Yes, that was sport plus but I was also in manual mode and was shifting early - I wanted to show the downshifts.

Quick Reply: How does your PDK downshift in Sport/Sport+ mode?