Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That ground strap should probably go somewhere...anyone know? [997.2 c2]

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default That ground strap should probably go somewhere...anyone know? [997.2 c2]

Hey all, first post, first 911. New to me 2010 C2 6mt. Previous owner, as his last acts with the car, took it to the local Porsche dealer to have a PPI done, and to have the clutch replaced. The PPI turned up very low rear brakes & tires, such that I knew I probably wouldn't pass my initial inspection once I registered the car. There was also a "Drive off assistant" error when starting the car (the clutch hold for hill starts). I'd rear the clutch position switch fixed those errors, but after removing those switches and testing them with a multimeter, they were fine. Figured it must be due to the pads being low? So, first things first, got a set of Textar rear pads.

Here's what greeted me when I removed the driver side rear wheel:

Two of the axle bolts are fully missing. The rest are about half backed out and not even finger tight. Ugh. I don't like shops. This is why. Clearly they were extremely slapdash when buttoning up after the clutch replacement. The car had only done maybe twenty miles between then and now - shop to previous owner's place, then from there to my home when I picked it up. But man...that could have been really bad.

Anyeway, I made note to buy some replacements, then tightened up the remaining bolts to about 60ft/lbs and then replaced the brake pads. Then I moved over to the passenger side rear wheel. Here's what I found there:

Random connector and ground strap hanging loose. Couldn't see where either was supposed to go. But hey at least they seem to have torqued the axles down.

Having searched everywhere, and looked at images of bare gearboxes for sale - I'm 99% sure that the white connector goes to the reverse light switch, which is maybe 6" above the axle stub, and seems to take this sort of connector. The ground strap though? No clue. Per diagrams, and the clutch DIY thread here at Rennlist, about a foot towards the front of the car there is the small junction box for the "B+" cable, attached to the transmission case. I haven't checked to see if all cables there are accounted for, but logically I don't think it can go there - that feeds the starter motor (I think) and the car starts fine.

From the few pics I took, both unplugged connector and strap come off the same harness, if that helps anyone recognize it. On this passenger side I did find one of the two missing axle bolts from the driver side axle, rolling around in the plastic splash pan, so...yay?. Pelican is delivering two OEM bolts for that this week, won't be driving on it until those are replaced and torqued, of course.

Sadly I don't have a garage, just a carport, and it's cold/rainy/dark out, or I'd go take more pics of the area around the hanging ground...or power cable, whatever it is. And also try engaging reverse to see if the lights come on to test that theory. But it would definitely save me some time if anyone knows what these things go to...

Cheers everyone -Hass
Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

In case anyone stumbles on this in the future and needs to know:

The connector was for the reverse light switch. It's about 8" above the passenger side stub axle. Can't see it from the wheel well or under the car, but you can stick your arm up there from the wheel well and feel it. Indicated in the picture with the red arrow.

The ground strap connects at a black junction box mounted to the transmission, as shown in the DIY for 997 clutch replacement in the DIYs sticky. Unsnap a plastic cover, and it attaches to the post with a 13mm nut. Have to remove the rearmost undertray to access.

Location indicated with the blue arrow. Box isn't shown, just where it mounts.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

This Forum usually responds quickly. I didn't see your first post at all. I wonder if this was the case for others too.

Sorry for the lack of responses, and thank you for getting back with your solution.

Now go out and drive 8)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Great info for the future, thanks and glad it worked out. Thats exactly why i HATE taking my car to a shop.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 PM
STAR997
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you OP for the details and the photos. I have diagnosed my car to having a bad reverse light switch and have it ordered but needed to know exactly where to look for it. I thank you. Will be changing the tranny oil and that switch next weekend.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

Glad to help, and good luck!

Quick Reply: That ground strap should probably go somewhere...anyone know? [997.2 c2]