Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your PDK downshift in Sport/Sport+ mode?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How does your PDK downshift in Sport/Sport+ mode?

I had the Sport/Sport+ software installed about a month ago on my 2009 Base and while it did change how PDK shifted, I'm still not sure about downshifts. Even in Sport+ mode, I feel like my car downshifts more like an automatic where there's no blip of the throttle so the downshift sounds more like waiting for the engine to catch up in RPMs rather than a snap (if that makes sense). I remember driving a loaner Boxster a few years back and it had a really snappy downshift like in the video below:

Obviously, it's a different car and a GTS, but is that how your PDK downshifts? Hope to hear some thoughts as I have an appointment to have this checked out, but if what I describe is the normal behavior for the first generation PDK, I would just cancel that and would rather not waste anyone's time.

EDIT:
Had my wife take a short video yesterday while I was driving. Is that how it really shifts even in Sport+ mode? The warning indicators are for my TPMS

Last edited by oofie810; 02-10-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Something is off. A PDK rev matches in all modes - more pronounced in Sport and Sport+.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

When was the last time your car had the PDK fluid/filter changed?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Blip

The blip is very aggressive in sport plus, throws you back in seat - a tad less now that PDK has fluid changed , it’s a bit smoother , something seems off with your car
Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fined
When was the last time your car had the PDK fluid/filter changed?
It hasn't been changed. I bought the car from my dad this year and he hasn't had it serviced yet. The only things he did to the car was getting an oil change. I think he didn't realize that he had to do these periodic maintenance work since he wasn't driving the car too much (car only has 25k miles).

I have an appointment tomorrow with a dealership (Fletcher Jones in Fremont) and will probably have them do the PDK fluid change.

@all - thanks for the insight and info.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

On the 09 PDK the throttle blip and shift occur so fast it's hard to tell. Plus, there isn't a ton of torque, so there isn't much snap until rpms build.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm confused... whats wrong? Video looks normal.

I found that PDK must be warmed up and out of 'learning period' before it shifts instantly. Its also more aggressive if you're on the throttle.

NVM re-read and see you're saying the video is the loan boxster and example of normal. I suggest you confirm everything is up to temp and not in learning mode (20min+ driving).

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2019, 01:36 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by minthral
I'm confused... whats wrong? Video looks normal.

I found that PDK must be warmed up and out of 'learning period' before it shifts instantly. Its also more aggressive if you're on the throttle.

NVM re-read and see you're saying the video is the loan boxster and example of normal. I suggest you confirm everything is up to temp and not in learning mode (20min+ driving).

Yes, that is correct. I drove it yesterday for a good 40-50 mins and everything was up to temp. Still, the tachometer needle wasn't snappy at all on downshifts. Instead of snapping into the higher RPMs, the tach needle would take its time to get to the RPM of the lower gear.

Had my wife take a short video yesterday while I was driving. Is that how it really shifts even in Sport+ mode? The warning indicators are for my TPMS

Thanks for the insights folks, I will bring the car tomorrow to the dealership and have a tech ride with me and they can confirm if the behavior is normal or not for the first gen PDK.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

I have a 2009 Boxster that I added Sport/Sport+ early last year. I started tracking the car the end of 2017 and added Sport+ primarily for the track and really love it. I have roughly 32,000 miles. Sport+ is a track mode not practical for normal driving. It keeps the RPMs between 4K and redline. Sport+ also has a different throttle map. Up shifts are harsh. It down shifts and rev matchs as your brake to keep the RPMs above 4K. If you listen hard you can hear the engine and PDK rev matching as you brake hard at the end of a straight away from 6 to 2 as an extreme example. 7th is not available in Sport+. Sport raises the shift limits and slightly crisper shifts. In normal mode the car will shift quickly to a high gear for fuel economy. If you select Sport (or Sport+) will in motion the car will downshift and hold higher RPMs. You can put PDK in the manual mode in Sport/Sport+ and manual down or up shift. You have to understand the PDK has two clutch packs; one has 2, 4 and 6 the other has 1, 3, 5 and 7. When it shifts one clutch is engaging while the other is disengaging. The normal mode blends the two shifts to make the shift smooth plus get to the highest gear quickly. Sport+ has very little if any blending and up shifts are as quick as possible to the point of feeling a jerk. Kick down shifts should be quicker and harsher in Sport/Sport+, but remember the engine is already at a higher RPM especially in Sport+. The downshift should be very quick, but not necessarily super harsh. It is hard to get the full appreciation of Sport+ without going to the track. Sport is a good driving around mode to get sharper shifts and acceleration. You have 255 HP and 214 lb-ft of torque. If your loaner was a 918S you had 300+ hp. The Sport/Sport+ upgrade option is not cheap. I would not recommend it unless someone wanted to track or their car using Sport+. You can simulate Sport by selecting the manual mode. Let us know the results of your tech ride.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 722 Posts

What year is your 997? They made a software change in 2011 that made the shifts softer. If you update to this you cannot go back. You may want to specify to Gunter when you go in whether you want the "upgrade" or not.

It sounds like you are gently backing off the throttle in your video. On that basis the computer is seeing the rpms drop below 4000 but not seeing a need for urgency. The clutches will feather and the motor will gently adjust. The question is what happens in a near panic braking situation?

I'm not seeing anything wrong given the apparent driving conditions.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The other thing in this thread is an apparent confusion of rev matching and shift snap...
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
What year is your 997? They made a software change in 2011 that made the shifts softer. If you update to this you cannot go back. You may want to specify to Gunter when you go in whether you want the "upgrade" or not.

It sounds like you are gently backing off the throttle in your video. On that basis the computer is seeing the rpms drop below 4000 but not seeing a need for urgency. The clutches will feather and the motor will gently adjust. The question is what happens in a near panic braking situation?

I'm not seeing anything wrong given the apparent driving conditions.
I have a 2009 so I think I might have the first iteration of the software. I guess this is what I'm noticing. Instead of the tach needle snapping to the lower gear's RPM, it "feathers" into it and the motor is adjusting.

So is this how your car behaves even in Sport+ mode?

Originally Posted by ADias
The other thing in this thread is an apparent confusion of rev matching and shift snap...
I'm not sure if you meant me, but to me, my definition of rev-matching, at least when I drove a manual car, is that the engine's RPM will match the transmission's RPM. In my video, it looks more like the engine is catching up on the revs when I downshift. Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, but can you expound on your statement? I am here to learn and it would be helpful if you can point out the difference between rev matching and shift snap.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 722 Posts

2009 is early software. I would insist no software upgrade.

Due to early version PDK drain plug problems your pan may need to be replaced. Don't assume ...
Pull the plug first and replace the pan only if needed (save $500).

Gear selection is different based upon how you are driving. Does it shift like this under heavy braking or hard acceleration or only when you gently coast to a lower speed?

Rev matching is so fluid you can almost miss it on these cars. It is not like the blip you get with a manual transmission.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

If you are referring to downshifts that occur because you are slowing down, there is no need to rev match as the downshift won't occur until rpms drop. If you are referring to gear kickdown when you accelerate hard, the rpm increase and shift occur very closely and is not all that exciting. If you expect neck snapping acceleration you have the wrong car.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by oofie810

I'm not sure if you meant me, but to me, my definition of rev-matching, at least when I drove a manual car, is that the engine's RPM will match the transmission's RPM. In my video, it looks more like the engine is catching up on the revs when I downshift. Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, but can you expound on your statement? I am here to learn and it would be helpful if you can point out the difference between rev matching and shift snap.
I was not referring to you. Your definition of rev matching is correct. When the transmission downshifts, say on braking hard from 4th gear, the engine will blip up to match the higher revs of 3rd or 2nd. That blip is more dramatic when this is done energetically - say 60MPH approaching a sharp turn in 4th gear, hard on the brakes, the engine blips up and the PDK engages 2nd to make the turn at 35MPH.

Since you are taking the car to Fremont, Gunter will check it out. Miles-wise you are low, but PDK requires clutch oil change at 6 years or 60k miles whichever is lower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does your PDK downshift in Sport/Sport+ mode?