997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sachs Performance Clutch SUCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019 | 12:58 AM
99Slammed
Advanced

Default Sachs Performance Clutch SUCKS!!

Anyone else install the performance clutch over the oem one when re-doing their clutch?

Got the one on Sachs website versus the one on pelican parts since it looked beefier and the description said it works and feels the same as oem. I've had this clutch on my daily 997 S for a couple months now and it's just horrible. When re-doing the clutch I also changed out the flywheel and everything else in there.

Curious to see if anyone else has installed this one over the OEM and what you think about it..

Link:
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...-000884-999957
Old 02-05-2019 | 07:55 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

It would help if you described what was wrong with it.
Old 02-05-2019 | 08:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

All those performance clutches do. I have a Spec one in my 928 that's the worst part of the car. Grabby, shudders because of the grabiness, etc.

I have the stock clutch in my 997 C2S and it's not having any trouble holding the 485-500 HP I'm putting out. When people ask I always recommend they stay with the stock 997 clutch for drivabiliry unless there's a really good reason to not use it, like monster power upgrades. For the 928 I've purchased the OEM dual discs and am going to put those in since I'm only running about 120 HP more than stock (350 HP & 350 TQ) and upgraded the whole clutch setup from the original 79 single disc to the twin disc with intermediate plate from an 83 so should be fine.

The problem with the aftermarket, "upgraded" clutches is that the friction discs don't have the metal wave springs sandwiched between the friction material (called a Marseille spring), which help them to engage smoothly. Some OEM setups also have sprung hubs to help with this as well.

Last edited by Petza914; 02-05-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2019 | 08:25 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
All those performance clutches do. I have a Spec one in my 928 that's the worst part of the car. Grabby, shudders because of the grabiness, etc.

I have the stock clutch in my 997 C2S and it's not having any trouble holding the 485-500 HP I'm putting out. When people ask I always recommend they stay with the stock 997 clutch for drivabiliry unless there's a really good reason to not use it, like monster power upgrades. For the 928 I've purchased the OEM dual discs and am going to put those in since I'm only running about 120 HP more than stock (350 HP & 350 TQ) and upgraded the whole clutch setup from the original 79 single disc to the twin disc with intermediate plate from an 83 so should be fine.

The problem with the aftermarket, "upgraded" clutches is that the friction discs don't have the metal wave springs sandwiched between the friction material, which help them to engage smoothly. Some OEM setups also have sprung hubs to help with this as well.
Pete,

There is not a day that goes by that I do not learn something new from you! Thanks for your contributions. I agree that often OEM seems to be the better replacement option.
Old 02-05-2019 | 09:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Pete,

There is not a day that goes by that I do not learn something new from you! Thanks for your contributions. I agree that often OEM seems to be the better replacement option.
🙂

Old 02-05-2019 | 01:03 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
🙂
Yes, appreciate the input. I’m wondering what my options are I really don’t want to spend another $800 on a clutch plus another $1,000+ to have it installed..

Any recommendations?
Old 02-05-2019 | 02:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Slammed

Yes, appreciate the input. I’m wondering what my options are I really don’t want to spend another $800 on a clutch plus another $1,000+ to have it installed..

Any recommendations?
Unfortunately there's not really a way to correct the grabiness (if that's the complaint) other than to replace it.

Letting the clutch out faster will reduce the shuddering since you'll have the friction disc spinning against the flywheel for less time, or you can launch it harder, but neither is a great solution.
Old 02-05-2019 | 05:27 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Because our cars have a "sprung" dual mass flywheel to help absorb a lot of the initial grab the clutch disc does not have springs. It is the reverse in other car applications where a single mass flywheel is used and therefore the clutch disc is "sprung" to absorb some of the initial grab. I am really impressed to hear the original 997 oem clutch can hold Pete's supercharged 500 hp. Although I believe your smooth shifting and supercharged progressive power delivery has a lot to do with that. In a turbocharged situation where power delivery can be more of an on/off or build torque rapidly, then a stronger clutch is probably needed

In my "fast n furious" days of 500 hp rice rockets I would have lightened flywheels using sprung 4 puck discs and 2600 lbs pressure plates. Made the cars no fun to drive on the street in traffic. Taking off from a stop light was embarrassing. it was shudder away, or bucking bronco Could never get 2 take offs from a stop light the same, let alone at the 1/4 mile track.

The sachs clutch link reads like a really good daily driver friendly clutch with a bit more strength. That's marketing for ya. Really sucks to hear it is so grabby and shudders. I hope someone else can chime in to see if they have had a similar experience.
Old 02-05-2019 | 07:18 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Because our cars have a "sprung" dual mass flywheel to help absorb a lot of the initial grab the clutch disc does not have springs. It is the reverse in other car applications where a single mass flywheel is used and therefore the clutch disc is "sprung" to absorb some of the initial grab. I am really impressed to hear the original 997 oem clutch can hold Pete's supercharged 500 hp. Although I believe your smooth shifting and supercharged progressive power delivery has a lot to do with that. In a turbocharged situation where power delivery can be more of an on/off or build torque rapidly, then a stronger clutch is probably needed

In my "fast n furious" days of 500 hp rice rockets I would have lightened flywheels using sprung 4 puck discs and 2600 lbs pressure plates. Made the cars no fun to drive on the street in traffic. Taking off from a stop light was embarrassing. it was shudder away, or bucking bronco Could never get 2 take offs from a stop light the same, let alone at the 1/4 mile track.

The sachs clutch link reads like a really good daily driver friendly clutch with a bit more strength. That's marketing for ya. Really sucks to hear it is so grabby and shudders. I hope someone else can chime in to see if they have had a similar experience.
I just hope this post can save someone the headache i'm going through. The shifter on these cars aren't the best and with this specific clutch i'm starting to really dislike the car.

I would assume it would be almost impossible for me to sell this clutch if I were to buy a new oem one right?
Old 02-05-2019 | 07:22 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

When re-doing the clutch I also changed out the flywheel and everything else in there.
Did you stick with OEM for the flywheel and all the other components? Or something else at the same time as going with the Sachs clutch (pressure plate)? I'm mostly interested in if the flywheel was changed from dual mass to single mass or lightweight single mass.
Old 02-05-2019 | 07:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I just hope this post can save someone the headache i'm going through. The shifter on these cars aren't the best and with this specific clutch i'm starting to really dislike the car.

I would assume it would be almost impossible for me to sell this clutch if I were to buy a new oem one right?
Someone with a dedicated track car might want it, where they're be more concerned with it holding during extreme use more so than smoothness of takeoff.
Old 02-05-2019 | 07:56 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Originally Posted by semicycler
Did you stick with OEM for the flywheel and all the other components? Or something else at the same time as going with the Sachs clutch (pressure plate)? I'm mostly interested in if the flywheel was changed from dual mass to single mass or lightweight single mass.
When re-doing the clutch I also got a new flywheel put in which was the OEM dual mass flywheel. I also replaced all the bits in there with OEM parts. I got the clutch put in June 2018 (about 3,100 miles ago).

Just curious, why would you want the clutch if I had put in a LWFW? Does the dual mass have more stress on the clutch plate?
Old 02-05-2019 | 08:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When re-doing the clutch I also got a new flywheel put in which was the OEM dual mass flywheel. I also replaced all the bits in there with OEM parts. I got the clutch put in June 2018 (about 3,100 miles ago).

Just curious, why would you want the clutch if I had put in a LWFW? Does the dual mass have more stress on the clutch plate?
The LW flywheel takes a different friction disc with a sprung hub, like this

compared to the normal friction discs that look like this (which probably have the Marsailles spring riveted in between the layers of friction material, but maybe not since the dual mass flywheel is sprung)

Sandwedge has a LW flywheel in his car already, so if you did too, that means he would be able to use your friction disc once removed.

Last edited by Petza914; 02-05-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2019 | 09:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Still waiting to here why your Sachs Performance clutch sucks?
I've heard they are firmer feel and grab harder.
Like a young lover
Old 02-06-2019 | 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Surprised to hear this. Did you dislike the shifter even before the clutch swap or is there a connection? I'm asking since the 6sp manual on my -06 C4S was easily the best manual transmission I've ever had on any car. Got even better with the short shift kit installed. Smooth as warm butter, tight, precise and just a joy to operate. Didn't even have the first gear issue so many complain about.

Quick Reply: Sachs Performance Clutch SUCKS!!