Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

One of the first things I did when I taught my sister, brother and kids how to drive was take them on a hill and use the clutch and gas pedal to hold the car in place. It had some humorous moments. My youngest son was sweating so bad it looked like somebody poured a bucket of water over him. My sister rolled backwards onto someones lawn, panicked and dug furrows about 6" deep in their grass.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I hate that hill assist... hate it. My clutch to gas response is way faster than that... I hate it. It was the first question I asked of the dealership... how to disable it. Can't.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agree. Mine's a 997.1 so I dont have it but in other makes/models I've driven i has been slow and I never really want to trust it anyway. No thanks.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Fun fact, the reason 'hill assist' is on the .2 and not the .1 is because the .2 has the 3 axis accelerometer and the .1 does not.
Counter to Bruce, I like it. I could manage myself but it's helpful when there's a line up the ramp in my condo building's parking garage.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:57 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I hate that hill assist... hate it. My clutch to gas response is way faster than that... I hate it. It was the first question I asked of the dealership... how to disable it. Can't.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
If you double tap the brakes, it disables... but only that single time. I wish it could be permanently disabled as well. Learned to drive in a manual and haven't owned anything other than a manual since, so I find it unnatural.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

You guys never learned how to use a cable-operated parking brake?
Over here it was part of the driving test...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
One of the first things I did when I taught my sister, brother and kids how to drive was take them on a hill and use the clutch and gas pedal to hold the car in place. It had some humorous moments. My youngest son was sweating so bad it looked like somebody poured a bucket of water over him. My sister rolled backwards onto someones lawn, panicked and dug furrows about 6" deep in their grass.
Not the best thing for the clutch to sit there with it spinning against the flywheel in perfect balance. I'd recommend doing that education day in something with a less expensive clutch than a Porsche. Wait, what's that smell?

No trouble with the parking brake method in any of my 4 manual trans cars. The Cayenne with tip has hill hold and it's a weird sensation to use the gas to overpower the brakes. I wonder if the double tap of the pedal will defeat it in that too - gonna try it.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:04 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

That's when the hand brake comes in well....handy
Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Is this like nails on a chalkboard to anyone else? I don't understand why you would torment your clutch like that... I think that's worse than the people that sit at red lights with the car in-gear, clutch pedal pressed.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Is this like nails on a chalkboard to anyone else? I don't understand why you would torment your clutch like that... I think that's worse than the people that sit at red lights with the car in-gear, clutch pedal pressed.
This was many years ago, clutches with organic facing were cheap and replaced often, or "resurfaced' by burning it in a little more. I absolutely hated the cars from 1973 to 1992. So, I drove cars from the 50s and 60s until 1996. I could replace a clutch in about 2 hours for under $100. I would not do that with a modern car, especially a Porsche. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously, just an anecdote from 50 years ago. Sometimes I forget I am in a forum were everyone takes everything dead seriously.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Starting on an incline without using a handbrake is fine as long as you don't spool up the engine for a dragster start. I usually wait until the light turns green, then use the clutch to put the car in gear and then just apply throttle and ease the clutch off to start the car rolling, Never burned a clutch in my 50 years of driving. The very function of the clutch is to let you slip and engage the flywheel with the engine without stalling the car.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:13 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Back in old country it was a standard driving test. Park on a hill, stop, and start moving. If you backup more then x cm or stall you fail. Keep practicing and don't burn your clutch.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

X3 - hate hill assist.
But I like it when i'm in my strappy 6 inch pumps.

I still stall my standard cars. My 15 year old still looks at me funny. Dad, why did you stall out the car?
Thus proving I'm human. I will never be autonomous.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
You guys never learned how to use a cable-operated parking brake?
Over here it was part of the driving test...
Yea but so was "Priority of the right"!!!! Years ago, I rented a car and nearly killed myself and a ton of others! Then there is your darn highway signs... sometimes in French and sometimes in Dutch!! I was fallowing signs for Liege and then promptly got really lost.... signs magically changed to Luik.

(Best beer, chocolate and French cooking in Europe.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMorey
If you double tap the brakes, it disables... but only that single time. I wish it could be permanently disabled as well. Learned to drive in a manual and haven't owned anything other than a manual since, so I find it unnatural.
Wow, I did not know that! Thanx!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Fun fact, the reason 'hill assist' is on the .2 and not the .1 is because the .2 has the 3 axis accelerometer and the .1 does not.
Counter to Bruce, I like it. I could manage myself but it's helpful when there's a line up the ramp in my condo building's parking garage.
I thought the reason why the .1 997 doesn't have hill assist was because the .2 drivers couldn't handle manual on hills according to the internet. You learn something new everyday. but seriously, I didn't know that fact. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Manual tranny question.