Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This was brought up in the market place too and of course I've thought about it. As you say though, that's an awful lot of time and hassle to ship wheels and seats back and forth across the country and I just don't have the time or the enthusiasm for a project like that. No doubt I would come out ahead but I'm not sure the amount would be worth it once it was all said and done.
Ha! I hear you.

I would love, repeat love, to own your car. It is totally transformed from a stock GTS.

FYI, the pics below are of the car that got my "old" spoiler! I recently shipped a bunch of "crap"; 997 GT3 spoiler, 5 sets of wheels: it was a project. I learned a few things though in the process!

When shipping wheels, the easiest way to do so is to band 2 wheels together, and use ship-nerd or another fedex ground service. I got to a point where I could get 2 wheels together and ready to go in 25 minutes. I cut out cardboard circles for each wheel end, and also one for the middle where the wheels came together. Between the wheels, I also used small diameter bubble wrap, and also on the ends, over the cardboard wheelcaps, held together with packing tape. I then used packing tape to stretch-wrap around and around the wheels until 2 wheels were essentially one piece. Only the tires were exposed: each rim was completely protected by cardboard and bubble wrap.

I got everything I needed from U-Line. Cardboard was easy to find: I grabbed a few bike boxes and cut them up. I was able to ship 4 wheels for $95 to Florida from the West Coast.

I don't recommend buying 22x22x22 boxes from Home Depot for shipping wheels, I did one set that way, at the request of the buyer: it was a huge headache. You will need 4 boxes, and as the wheels are circular, you have to be creative to get the cardboard to fit. The method above is much easier and just as durable, IMO.

When I shipped the spoiler, I used 2 large 24x18 boxes from Home Depot, and put them together. I bubble-wrapped and them shrink-wrapped the heck out of the spoiler, after using a lot of high-density foam for the angular sides (again, high-end bicycle shipping leftovers). The spoiler took me 90 minutes, as it is quite delicate!

So yeah, I think if you aren't an idiot, you can ship wheels reasonably inexpensively, without a huge time commitment.

Last edited by raidersfan; 01-24-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:46 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Have talked to two dealers who both offered $50K for a trade deal. End of those discussions. Have a buyer now that I think I have a deal with close enough to my asking price. I've sold two other 997's before with after market wheels and exhausts but didn't get anywhere near the push back I'm getting on this and the mods on this are far more expensive than those on the previous ones. I'm baffled but the market is what it is. Lesson learned. Will never again get rid of (in my opinion) inferior OEM parts if I do any mods. Will let you know what I get out of this once it gets done.
I had the same issues with my C4, which had mods but included OEM parts. I went back to stock, gave it to a consigner, and voila: full asking price in 2 weeks. I netted $1500 more than I was asking here, and I netted an additional $2400 on the extra mods I sold. Nobody wanted the mods: not even the Gundo Hack and Sharky bypass pipes!

Who are these people, and what did they do the Porsche enthusiasts?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Have talked to two dealers who both offered $50K for a trade deal. End of those discussions. Have a buyer now that I think I have a deal with close enough to my asking price. I've sold two other 997's before with after market wheels and exhausts but didn't get anywhere near the push back I'm getting on this and the mods on this are far more expensive than those on the previous ones. I'm baffled but the market is what it is. Lesson learned. Will never again get rid of (in my opinion) inferior OEM parts if I do any mods. Will let you know what I get out of this once it gets done.
Glad you found a buyer! Hope they keep its story alive here on RL.
You should have followed mdrums when he had his tracked GTS for sale. It was setup PERFECTLY and he couldn't find a buyer for it until he converted it all back to stock (at considerable cost having to replace with new OEM parts). I learned my lesson from that and have every OEM part in storage. Hope this one works out!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

The simpler solution is just to decide to keep them forever once you buy the right one. That's my strategy.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:15 PM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Glad you found a buyer! Hope they keep its story alive here on RL.
You should have followed mdrums when he had his tracked GTS for sale. It was setup PERFECTLY and he couldn't find a buyer for it until he converted it all back to stock (at considerable cost having to replace with new OEM parts). I learned my lesson from that and have every OEM part in storage. Hope this one works out!
I'm so confused with all of this. So basically if I ever decide to sell my car there's about 5 people on here that would be interested in it? I'm currently collecting parts to get ready for track season for my recently acquired 997.1 and will create a thread once it all gets under way. Looks like I am heading down the path of the 997.1 vs of your car.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Who are these people, and what did they do with the Porsche enthusiasts?
I wonder that too. Do these folks also want to make sure it comes with run-flats?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I wonder that too. Do these folks also want to make sure it comes with run-flats?
they want to go on the same journey the OP did which is why mods are worth a fraction of their original price when sold still installed on the vehicle
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined

Strange that so many don't want the mods. I'd be the exact opposite if looking at any 911.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:16 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on the car. I would assume most people modifying a 997 GTS aren’t cutting corners or using inferiors parts because the price of entry is so high. I recently bought an RS4 and would have been very weary of a modified one. The car is relatively cheap and also over 11 years old these days. I’d have purchased the op’s car most likely though lol. And I am modifying both my cars as well.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, everyone wants a virgin. To do what they wish, but but not necessarily what the previous owner did.

it doesn’t make a lot of sense on a car like this with quality upgrades, but I guess that’s just the market.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 AM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your GTS is the perfect spec and worth every penny of what you're asking IMO, including the choice upgrades.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.

they want to go on the same journey the OP did which is why mods are worth a fraction of their original price when sold still installed on the vehicle
In my opinion it also has to do with the "boy-racer" image of a modded car.
Lowered cars with a lot of go-faster parts give the impression that they have been used... hard.
Although that it is not necessarily true, nor a bad thing, most people prefer an old lady's car.

I have to admit that in my search for the 997 I didn't even open the adverts for non-original cars...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe my question will be better answered here rather than the marketplace...How does one avoid having a Collision with $16k damage, plus a DV claim paid by the offender's insurance, from showing on the Carfax?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:59 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
maybe my question will be better answered here rather than the marketplace...How does one avoid having a Collision with $16k damage, plus a DV claim paid by the offender's insurance, from showing on the Carfax?
post a new thread to the forum please.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS

post a new thread to the forum please.
why? i'm speaking specifically about Sandwedge's GTS advertised in the marketplace with a "perfectly clean" Carfax, which technically is true if you pull the Carfax, but there is no mention of the accident that was detailed in his thread Another Rear End Story

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my GTS