Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

^^^ this sounds like the best advice so far. it'll be easy to tell your feelings about it after not having driven it and having driven some other porsche for some time
Old 01-17-2019, 04:31 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Nieghbor and fellow P car nut just went through this with one of his cars.

2012 Porsche, Cab, PDK, 28k mi, perfect condition. Couldnt give it up, ever, until he drove GT3 Touring. Dealer trade a week later for the GT3.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
I was just joking

All it boils down to is how you feel about the car, and nobody else.
If you think the mileage is an issue, or you're simply ready for something else, it shouldn't matter whether other people think it is "too nice to sell".

In the end it's a toy, and if you're bored with it (and can afford it), look at a new one that makes you happy.
Not bored with it at all. In fact I got it set up just the way I want it. To the contrary I get bored with a 991 every time I drive one.

Originally Posted by C4SNY
I understand how you feel and made a mistake selling my 2009 997.2 c4s because it was getting old and the mileage was at 40k. I never owned a car with that many miles. I left porsche and bought 2 different newer cars with all the technology and the eventually came back to a 2011 997.2.

If your car is spec out to your liking and been maintained, I wouldn’t let it go. Ultimately it’s up to you and your finances.
Probably leaning in that direction. Especially after spending a couple of days dealing with dealerships who never fail to disappoint. Sent VIN # and pictures to two of them two days ago for a rough estimate on trade in value for my car. Was promised a call back later that day with a number from both of them. Still haven't heard from either one. Gotta give credit where it's due though. They seem to work hard on maintaining the rotten reputation they have.

Originally Posted by Balr14
Buy a TT. It will be a completely different experience. Another GTS is just a little different flavor of the same. Live a little!
Thought about that. May seem silly but it kind of bothers me that you can't make them sound like a P-car. Love the PSE/Sharkworks setup on the GTS and I know I could never make a TT sound that way no matter how much $$ I spent.

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Buy another porsche, let your GTS sit for 3 months. Then decide.

Dont care about miles anymore.
Trying to get there.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thought about that. May seem silly but it kind of bothers me that you can't make them sound like a P-car. Love the PSE/Sharkworks setup on the GTS and I know I could never make a TT sound that way no matter how much $$ I spent.
What made me even consider buying a Porsche was a black 997.2 TT cab that showed up at a local Saturday night car meet in August 2017. It sounded awesome and drew a ton of attention; kind of like a V8 but the cadence was quicker and sharper. I asked the guy who owned it if that was stock and he told me he had a full FabSpeed exhaust system and a custom tune. It was bad-***! So when I bought my C2S, I just had to have the FabSpeed setup. It sounds good and attracts a lot of attention, too. But, it sounds kind of wimpy next to that TT.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The 'high mileage' negative fixation is a trait Europeans do not have - they just drive these cars and they last longer...
Exactly. The odometer is there to keep track of scheduled maintenance, that is all.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Go turbo and you will never go back. The turbos are just that much better in every way. Candidly, the 991 GTS perhaps has sufficient performance versus a 997 TT. Tet 991 GTS is an amazing car to drive. In the end, its still not a turbo and there is just something much more special about turbos.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

May seem silly but it kind of bothers me that you can't make them sound like a P-car. Love the PSE/Sharkworks setup on the GTS and I know I could never make a TT sound that way no matter how much $$ I spent.
Correct. You cam make them sound OK augmenting the whistles (Turbos) and honks (diverter valves), but they'll never sound as good as the NA cars since the turbos muffle and change the engine sound. The power and torque is addictive though, which is the tradeoff for the sound.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Try these links to those cars - $90k for one and $99k for the other, but both come with a crack pipe to justify your purchase

https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...-gts-c-512.htm

https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...-gts-c-530.htm
Lol, neither car reflects market and there are always those out their that have more $$$ than sense and purchase time capsule type cars for reasons that too many are yet obscure.

That said, factory installed aero kit cars have a huge premium. I would almost be tempted to purchase the white car for low $80k if it had a pdk. I want a time capsule GTS, white or black, with factory aero kit and pdk. Amazingly, there are several GTS with factory aero kits available currently, but they are all manual.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, neither car reflects market and there are always those out their that have more $$$ than sense and purchase time capsule type cars for reasons that too many are yet obscure.

That said, factory installed aero kit cars have a huge premium. I would almost be tempted to purchase the white car for low $80k if it had a pdk. I want a time capsule GTS, white or black, with factory aero kit and pdk. Amazingly, there are several GTS with factory aero kits available currently, but they are all manual.
I am surprised that there are several aero kit GTS with manual tranny. To me, that is the car to get as manuals will become extinct. That is the true time capsule.

I never heard of Ryan Friedman until recently. He has some pristine inventory. Similar business model to Sloan and Holt.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am surprised that there are several aero kit GTS with manual tranny. To me, that is the car to get as manuals will become extinct. That is the true time capsule.

I never heard of Ryan Friedman until recently. He has some pristine inventory. Similar business model to Sloan and Holt.
Yep, the manual is probably rarer in aero kit form, but not sure. Seems like a lot of the factory aero kits had manuals. I am cool with manual, but my wife cannot drive a manual. Sux trying to be a good hubby sometimes and I also really like pdk anyway.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14
What made me even consider buying a Porsche was a black 997.2 TT cab that showed up at a local Saturday night car meet in August 2017. It sounded awesome and drew a ton of attention; kind of like a V8 but the cadence was quicker and sharper. I asked the guy who owned it if that was stock and he told me he had a full FabSpeed exhaust system and a custom tune. It was bad-***! So when I bought my C2S, I just had to have the FabSpeed setup. It sounds good and attracts a lot of attention, too. But, it sounds kind of wimpy next to that TT.
I'd like to hear that. Have heard Turbos with all kinds of expensive exhaust mods and have yet to hear one that matches a NA car with a proper exhaust.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug H
Go turbo and you will never go back. The turbos are just that much better in every way. Candidly, the 991 GTS perhaps has sufficient performance versus a 997 TT. Tet 991 GTS is an amazing car to drive. In the end, its still not a turbo and there is just something much more special about turbos.
Ruled out the 991 GTS today. The trade in number they finally gave me was a joke. That along with the fact that I really don't like the 991 to begin with closed that chapter. I can buy a 2010 or 2011 997 turbo for the same money or less so starting to look a little in that direction. That said, also beginning to forget the whole thing and just keep what I have. Forget about the miles and just keep enjoying a car set up exactly the way I want it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call and it sounds like you're doing a bit of discovery and realizing what you have. 997.2 TTs are great, but will probably cost you $20k+ and then what happens when it hits 60k miles? Nothing I would change on your car other than the transmission, but that's me.

Ruled out the 991 GTS today. The trade in number they finally gave me was a joke. That along with the fact that I really don't like the 991 to begin with closed that chapter. I can buy a 2010 or 2011 997 turbo for the same money or less so starting to look a little in that direction. That said, also beginning to forget the whole thing and just keep what I have. Forget about the miles and just keep enjoying a car set up exactly the way I want it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Correct. You cam make them sound OK augmenting the whistles (Turbos) and honks (diverter valves), but they'll never sound as good as the NA cars since the turbos muffle and change the engine sound. The power and torque is addictive though, which is the tradeoff for the sound.
How does the supercharger in your 997 change the exhaust sound (if at all)?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:10 AM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Between the near 60k mileage and sounding nothing like a P-car I might as well be driving a Camry over my 997TT;-)

In all seriousness, I’ve been in your same position before where I felt like I owned the perfect car and still had the itch to move on. In a perfect world, I’d keep every car and appreciate them all. Sell your GTS and try something else. If you decide you want to go back, you shouldn’t have a problem finding a sub 60k mile example. 997.1 GT3 or GT4 are pretty attractive NA options at the moment.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my GTS