Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep original wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 02:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

What you plan on replacing them with. Few buyers have issues with high end, non obnoxious styled forged after market wheels. As well they shouldn't since a set of 4 typically cost around $6,000 and reduce unsprung weight on each corner by up to 10 lbs compared to the heavy cast stock wheels.

I've sold two 997's with after market wheels and if anything I actually think it helped rather than detract from what I was asking. BTW....by high end, I'm referring to brands like HRE, Champion, Forgeline and BBS. There are others but I think those are probably the ones most are familiar with. Whichever way you go and have room to store, keep the turbo wheels and then play it by ear when it comes time to sell.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What you plan on replacing them with. Few buyers have issues with high end, non obnoxious styled forged after market wheels. As well they shouldn't since a set of 4 typically cost around $6,000 and reduce unsprung weight on each corner by up to 10 lbs compared to the heavy cast stock wheels.

I've sold two 997's with after market wheels and if anything I actually think it helped rather than detract from what I was asking. BTW....by high end, I'm referring to brands like HRE, Champion, Forgeline and BBS. There are others but I think those are probably the ones most are familiar with. Whichever way you go and have room to store, keep the turbo wheels and then play it by ear when it comes time to sell.
Interesting. Ive always been of the mentality to keep it stock. Or at least keep the add on's to bolt on stuff and retain the original equipment. When its time to sell, give the buyer an option, take the car as is, put it back to original, but if you want all the goodies AND the original parts.....we need to negotiate some more.

I would love to get some 80's style 3 piece BBS wheels for my ride. But I would hang on to the Lobsters cuz I dont think they would fetch a high price. I do think the original Turbo wheels would get a better price.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Interesting. Ive always been of the mentality to keep it stock. Or at least keep the add on's to bolt on stuff and retain the original equipment. When its time to sell, give the buyer an option, take the car as is, put it back to original, but if you want all the goodies AND the original parts.....we need to negotiate some more.

I would love to get some 80's style 3 piece BBS wheels for my ride. But I would hang on to the Lobsters cuz I dont think they would fetch a high price. I do think the original Turbo wheels would get a better price.
There's probably no hard and fast answer to this whole thing. Some buyers will have nothing but bone stock and then there's a large flock who can't wait to start modding if they buy an all stock car. Based on what's posted here, three mods seem fairly popular and "safe" in terms of resale. Lowering springs or coilovers as long as it's not slammed, exhaust as long as it doesn't involve parts that make it sound like a Harley Davidson and again, high quality wheels in good taste. What good taste means can be debated forever but there are plenty of wheels out there that aren't too far from stock look. Especially a lot of slight variations on the GT3 wheels.

What I personally would not do is modifications to the body. Like weird wings, over the top custom front and rear bumpers etc. But, to each their own.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Historically, Porsche have been kind of hot rodded and modified so new wheels, tails and other body and interior modifications, provided they are tastefully and professionally done, can generally increase value to many potential purchasers in the market for a USED Porsche 911. This was really the case 15 + years ago, especially in the air cooled market.

The 996/997s for whatever reason, seem to be different, attract purchasers with different mentalities and are modified much less than the SCs, 3.2s and 964s of old.

IMO, save the original parts (side lights, mats, intakes, interior parts, wheels, and everything), especially if you have desirable original parts such as the Turbo II wheels provided you don't need the extra cash to apply toward the upgrades and you have a place to store the parts. If you do not, then sale them to apply toward the upgrades and forget about them.

The one caveat may be if you have a special build (for instance factory installed aero, X51 AND PTS) with super low miles. If your car is a basic garden variety base, S, C4S with 30,000 + miles and you intend to drive it . . . forget about it. Tastefully done modifications will enhance such as lightweight 19 inch high quality rims will enhance value/marketability later on and no reason to keep those crappy looking, stock rims (Turbo IIs excluded as I think you should keep those if possible).
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Wheels are a very personal taste. I don't think buyers really care. They either like what's on the car they're looking at or don't and since they're one of the easiest things to change, don't keep someone from buying a car. Plus, if they are good quality forged wheels like those mentioned already, the buyer could sell those and buy replacement OEM wheels and come out a thousand or 2 ahead.

Not sure what type of wheels you're looking for, but I have some polished Champion RS171s for sale in the marketplace. If your car is basalt with the shiny metal flake in it, the polished wheels will really bring that out and coordinate well. Also compliments the shiny targa trip strip above the window line.

Last edited by Petza914; 01-15-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

THE ONE BIG CAVEAT HERE to what I just typed above is I see many cars with aftermarket rims that to me look hideous be it color, style or both that is just off for the car. I literally, would shy away from many cars just because the after market rims look like crap on them and I don't feel like wasting the effort and extra dollars to replace them unless the car is cheap or below market. If the after market rims look awesome and would be comparable to what I would put on the car, I see that is added value above the market price of the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

When I was looking around for buying a 997, I definitely preferred cars with the original wheels / no other mods.
I just gives some peace of mind knowing that everything is kept stock and not (potentially) ruined with low quality/unsuitable parts.
Even if it is only false comfort

If I ever decide to sell the car I will even reinstall the original taillights instead of the Depo ones, so as not to scare off buyers -like myself - looking for a completely stock car.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Carolina Girl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone on this thread interested in a set of Turbo II 20", I have a PRISTINE set with new Michelins in central NC if the OP is not selling.

I am located in central North Carolina.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

So it looks like:

Pros for selling old wheels
  • no need to store wheels
  • Recoup some of the cost of new wheels
Pros for keeping old wheels
  • Retain option to put back on when selling (or not) depending on buyer
  • Spare wheels for use in winter or at track
  • Might not get much in trade or sale anyway
Even though it looks like it can make good sense to keep them, I don't really have the space and would like to get a little something for them, so I will likely be selling.
Good input from you guys! It was especially helpful to hear that a lot of folks don't think it's important to keep the OE wheels for resale of the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Your wheels are on my short list! I really like the color in combination with the black as being just the right contrast (not too bright, not too dark).

But I also keep going back to these Forgelines:
Forgeline FUC3 They are pictured on a 991 Targa and look fantastic, but I wonder if they are a 'too modern' take on the Fuch style for the 997 (?).

Will have to start a new thread for that

Last edited by holgum; 01-15-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

In wide or narrow body fitment?

Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Anyone on this thread interested in a set of Turbo II 20", I have a PRISTINE set with new Michelins in central NC if the OP is not selling.

I am located in central North Carolina.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:20 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheels are such personal choice. If you don't like them get something different.

It's up to you whether to keep the originals, but I always think of the back-end and it seems buyers value original, unmodifed cars... but weigh that with having to sell the aftermarket wheels at ~50% as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
So it looks like:

Pros for selling old wheels
  • no need to store wheels
  • Recoup some of the cost of new wheels
Pros for keeping old wheels
  • Retain option to put back on when selling (or not) depending on buyer
  • Spare wheels for use in winter or at track
  • Might not get much in trade or sale anyway
Even though it looks like it can make good sense to keep them, I don't really have the space and would like to get a little something for them, so I will likely be selling.
Good input from you guys! It was especially helpful to hear that a lot of folks don't think it's important to keep the OE wheels for resale of the car.
If you selling or trading in at P dealer or carmax then OE wheels will help (carmax for sure pays more for all stock/OE). Private sale may not matter. I would keep atleast till time for new tires.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:39 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread. I dislike the OEM Sport Designs that came on my C4S. They are actually a pretty light, well made wheel by BBS I think. I scored a really nice set of Turbo IIs with winter Sottozeros, that I use, you guessed it, in the winter. They are on now. I love the Turbo II's!! I think on your black car the Turbos would look better with black trim. but on my gray car I think they look dynamite, and they are also light and expensive to replace.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:43 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Interesting thread. I dislike the OEM Sport Designs that came on my C4S. They are actually a pretty light, well made wheel by BBS I think. I scored a really nice set of Turbo IIs with winter Sottozeros, that I use, you guessed it, in the winter. They are on now. I love the Turbo II's!! I think on your black car the Turbos would look better with black trim. but on my gray car I think they look dynamite, and they are also light and expensive to replace.

Quick Reply: Keep original wheels?