Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Keep original wheels? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1124076-keep-original-wheels.html)

holgum 01-14-2019 04:43 PM

Keep original wheels?

Just acquired this 2012 Targa 4S (with only 6k miles!).
Thinking about changing wheels - for some reason the Turbo II wheel doesn't quite do it for me on this car. My question: should I keep these wheels or sell them if/when I change?
Will some future buyer really want the original wheels?
I plan on keeping this car for a number of years, drive it lightly and maintain it well, but ultimately I'm not a collector, so I just wanted to know what the community thinks. Do people really care if the car has the original wheels?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2e9cf80a3c.jpg

okbarnett 01-14-2019 05:06 PM

switch to new tire,wheel size and keep the old for spare

Fined 01-14-2019 05:26 PM

It's situational for me. I sold the centerlocks off my GTS because of several reasons;

-No good place to store them where I was living at the time
-Would never want to put them back on the car
-Another guy with a GTS was taking his car to the same Porsche shop as I was so selling them was painless. I took my car in to get the new wheels/tires put on and the shop kept the old wheels and the buyer got them from there. The wheels came off and I didn't think about them or worry with them again.

I'm not too concerned about the long term implications of the car not having the OE wheels. It's a driver and I hope to keep it.

holgum 01-14-2019 05:38 PM

I could keep them for use in the winter with all-season tires, but I tend to not drive the sports cars when it is too cold or messy anyway.

kellen 01-14-2019 06:17 PM

I’d be interested in the wheels and tpms.

linderpat 01-14-2019 07:22 PM

I use my originals as dedicated track tires. If you have no need, sell them. I see you live in NoVA, so take them to Hershey in the spring to sell.

cwheeler 01-14-2019 08:13 PM

If you're in NOVA, I'm in richmond. I may be interested. Especially if you're not changing them out for a couple months....

rickdogg82 01-14-2019 08:20 PM

I'd only keep them if you plan to replace them with something very expensive that you may want to remove (and sell separately) when you eventually sell the car.

workhurts 01-14-2019 08:36 PM

Is it my imagination or are you selling you 50th? Why do that to get a 4s?

Anyway, I have the same wheels with winter tires. Went romping around in yesterday's snow up here in nova. They behaved well. Better than a fwd with all seasons.

Christian Stark 01-14-2019 09:24 PM

Wish I were closer. I bought mine with what I assume is winter tires on 18” wheels. I love the turbos.

pghpp70 01-14-2019 10:15 PM

It could affect my decision to buy it. I usually seek out cars that are not modified. I prefer to be the one that makes any changes, so I know they were done correctly. Once something like the wheels are changed it makes me wonder what else was done to the car. If there are two similar cars for sale I will gravitate to the one that appears to be stock, with all other things being equal.

holgum 01-14-2019 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by cwheeler (Post 15566203)
If you're in NOVA, I'm in richmond. I may be interested. Especially if you're not changing them out for a couple months....

Would probably be doing it in a couple months. Will pm you.

Originally Posted by workhurts (Post 15566255)
Is it my imagination or are you selling you 50th? Why do that to get a 4s?

Sold the 50th about a year ago, partly for financial reasons and partly because it was so nice I didn't want to drive it so I could keep it perfect. At which point I realized I didn't want a garage queen.

As for 'why get a 997 4S' - do you really have to ask? :)

holgum 01-14-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by rickdogg82 (Post 15566219)
I'd only keep them if you plan to replace them with something very expensive that you may want to remove (and sell separately) when you eventually sell the car.

An interesting thought I hadn't considered. Some of the wheels I am looking at are indeed ridiculously expensive. But from what I have seen in the used wheel market, they don't hold their values very well. So I would hope if I were to get wheels that looked great w/ the car, it might actually help the resale value enough to make it 'not worth the trouble' to put back the original wheels and sell the other wheels separately.

jkfuel 01-14-2019 11:42 PM

I would just sell them and get the wheels you like. Those aren't "specific" to your car anyways.

captainbaker 01-15-2019 02:13 AM

My only reason to keep them would be for originality reasons when selling. But if you do sell and a buyer quips, tell them you will swap out your high buck wheels for a set of stock wheels. In other words you are calling their bluff.