Sponsored by:

Tracking a 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:12 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tracking a 997.1

I am looking for a 4 seat sports car that I take to the track a few days each summer and use on the weekends with my kids. My list includes a 997.1 (as well as the M4, M2 and GT350). My question is how much do I have to worry about tracking a 997.1 that’s 10+ years old? I’m going to be looking for one that has less than 50K miles and a solid service history. I’m not looking to break land speed records, just attend a few track events and drive the car more spirited than is safe on the streets. I will not be doing any mods, I prefer to keep my cars stock. I know as cars age seals dry out and other components wear.

I know this is a generic question that is car specific, but in general are there specific parts I should look to replace or have inspected prior to hitting the track? If I want to go with the 911 my budget diticates an older model. I’m just a bit concerned with taking an older car to the track. I know people race older cars all the time but most of these cars have extensive work done on them. I am looking to take a 10 year old factory car to the track. My biggest worry is a blown engine/transmission or broken suspension parts.

Last edited by pghpp70; 01-06-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Wanna car you'll never have to worry about on track? Get the GT350. No Porsche or BMW tax at the parts counter, either.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

I have an 06 S 997.1 that has 95k miles. I track it about 5 times a year. Car runs great and I've had excellent reliability and performance.
Knock on wood.
Oil Analysis always come back strong with a "Keep doing what you're doing" note from the lab.
That being said, look for a 997.2. It's just better. All things being equal, a slightly higher milage .2 would be a better choice than a .1.

IMHO.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:01 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

I agree with the 997.2 but the pricing is the main issue with those. I have been seeing a lot of really nice 997.1’s with low mileage for mid to low 40’s which is hard to beat.

As for the Gt350, I have been doing a good bit of research on them as well and it seems like reliability to horrible. Lots of engine replacements from oil loss and a host of other issues.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pghpp70
As for the Gt350, I have been doing a good bit of research on them as well and it seems like reliability to horrible. Lots of engine replacements from oil loss and a host of other issues.
Replaced under warranty/recall, no?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

Yes, everything is replaced under warranty, but once that runs out I would be afraid to own that car. Replacing the motor would be a lot of $$$$$.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

I agree with the 997.2 but the pricing is the main issue with those. I have been seeing a lot of really nice 997.1’s with low mileage for mid to low 40’s which is hard to beat.

I'd wait and save a little more. A blown .1 engine is pricey.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A high mileage 997.2 C2 is similar power and price to a 997.2 C2S. I would suggest looking for a base .2
Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I was sorta in the same situation with a similar list of cars. I currently track a really prepped S2k, but wanted something I could drive my daughter to daycare and then to work, but could take it out for 1 or 2 weekends on the track. I instruct and have driven/ridden right seat in lots of cars including the ones you listed. The M2 is an awesome car, that maintains the special BMW predictability and is easily driven at the limit. To me the interior leaves a lot to be desired (really not much different than my E90 daily) and exterior is only slightly special to those who are attracted to the M badge. The new competition would be a great car with a warranty, but @ $60k was outta my budget. The GT350 is amazing, the engine, power, sound, handling, all the right things. But you are correct they have been having engine problems, plus hey are going to be $10k more than a 997.1.

I went 997.1 because a 911 is such a special car. Plus, whatever car I was going to get would never be driven nearly as close to the limits as my S2k (I just wouldn’t feel that safe), so to me just the driving experience of the 911 would be perfect, the GT350 I would constantly be dialing up the speeds.

I have seen tons of mechanical failures (had a couple myself) over the years and can honestly say things can just happen to any car. Taking the proper preventative steps and maintenance certainly helps reduce the chances. Preventative for this car under mild tracking seems to be some type of baffles (I bought the X51) and then possibly the 3rd radiator. I would definitely change the oil more frequently and would consider a UOA (I soon all my cars that see the track). As far as incorporating the cost of a failure into your decision I would focus more on consumables (tires and brakes).

One last thought is the Camaro SS 1LE, I have instructed in a couple and they are quite impressive and seem ready to go right out of the box. In fact I did some driving with Randy Pobst this season and asked him what car he though was a good “drive to work on the weekday/track on the weekend” and that was his pick.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

I second the Camaro. Heck, a 5.0 mustang with magna ride and track pack is stupid fast compared to a 997.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:46 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

If this car was just a track car for me I would do the SS1LE. However for a weekend car to have fun with the kids its too closed in. There is zero rear visibility and the side windows are way to small. I’ll only hit the track 2-3 times per summer so I need a car that is a good mix of fun at the track and weekend fun with the family.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

If this car was just a track car for me I would do the SS1LE. However for a weekend car to have fun with the kids its too closed in. There is zero rear visibility and the side windows are way to small. I’ll only hit the track 2-3 times per summer so I need a car that is a good mix of fun at the track and weekend fun with the family.
I can definitely agree, it does feel a bit like a battleship.

I will say the back seats of the 997 are about the limit of what I am comfortable putting my daughter in. I actually removed the rear seat back to provide more room to get her booster seat all the way back, it seemed like any sudden braking and her face would hit the back of my passenger seat with my wife in a comfortable position and I have the adaptive sport seats with the plastic back. I went a full booster to get head protection for the sides, because without that any side impact and her head is hitting the side trim. I feel like it is safe, but I a pretty cautious when driving on the highway with her.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Get the 997 (S model), add the LN spin on filter adapter so you have a metal filter canister instead of the plastic one, get a baffled deep sump like MantisSport, along with the stainless skid plate from LN to protect it, add the extra front (3rd radiator), the TPC DSC module to better configure the 2 suspension modes for the street and track and you'll be set. There's a few thousand in mods here, but the car will be much more special than any of the others on the list and those changes will help protect the motor during track days.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Get the 997 (S model), add the LN spin on filter adapter so you have a metal filter canister instead of the plastic one, get a baffled deep sump like MantisSport, along with the stainless skid plate from LN to protect it, add the extra front (3rd radiator), the TPC DSC module to better configure the 2 suspension modes for the street and track and you'll be set. There's a few thousand in mods here, but the car will be much more special than any of the others on the list and those changes will help protect the motor during track days.
That DSC module definitely seems like a worth while mod for these cars.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

My strong suggestions is a base manual 997.2 for low $40s. Do a proper PPI with all service records. Save thousands for DE events and private instructors for not buying S-model. Extra power doesn't make much difference in good hands. Just change all fluids first, then keep adding stuff as needed especially safety equipment. I use BK harness bar with proper seats, HANS, and belt. 15 min to remove to get a car ready for streat.

Quick Reply: Tracking a 997.1