Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

How do you install the actual button? Do you cut into the existing console? Sorry if this is a silly question ...
Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
How do you install the actual button? Do you cut into the existing console? Sorry if this is a silly question ...
The kit comes with a new plate that includes the button, or is available separately from Suncoast (I don't recall). However, it is available and I am sure that if instructions are not included (which they probably are) that there is a video on YouTube.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuccs
Having driven a new cayman with and without sport plus, I noticed sport plus is a must have. Is the difference similar with the 997s and the sport button?
Certainly is on my car. Makes a very big difference to the car's behavior. 2005 C2s with sport chrono, pse, dsc, aerokit
Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuccs
Having driven a new cayman with and without sport plus, I noticed sport plus is a must have. Is the difference similar with the 997s and the sport button?
Not enough info to give you a good answer. What year and configuration is your 997? If it's a manual regardless of year, there are different opinions whether or not sport chrono is worth the money. For 2009 models or later if PDK rather than manual I think there's near 100% consensus that sport chrono is a must have. A 997 with PDK but without sport chrono and the sport/sport plus options is a miserable experience.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went from a 2006 C2 to a 2011 C2S PDK with sport plus. When I drive the C2S in normal mode it seems about like the C2, maybe even a little more lethargic. Put it in sport or sport plus and every bit of that extra HP comes alive. Totally different experience. Scared me when I first took it on some of my favorite back roads, so much faster, more responsive than the older C2 (and I loved the 2006 C2)
Old 02-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Mikar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the sport button be retrofitted by an OPC?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

I added Sport/Sport+ to my 2009 Boxster w/PDK last Spring. Adding it is only an option for 2009-2012 (997 and 987) and must be done by a dealer as indicated in the Suncoast footnote. You get two extra buttons: Sport and Sport+ and a new bezel plate. Sport or Sport+ are displayed in the instrument panel. IMHO Sport+ is strictly for the track. Keeps RPMs between 4K and redline with almost harsh upshifts. Car is always in the power band coming out of a turn. Also has a different throttle map and PSM less intrusive. Really, really makes a difference on the track.. Sport keeps street RPMs up with sharper shifts.

2009 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not enough info to give you a good answer. What year and configuration is your 997? If it's a manual regardless of year, there are different opinions whether or not sport chrono is worth the money. For 2009 models or later if PDK rather than manual I think there's near 100% consensus that sport chrono is a must have. A 997 with PDK but without sport chrono and the sport/sport plus options is a miserable experience.
I don't understand what the big deal is about Sport/Sport+. It doesn't do anything I can't do by shifting my PDK manually.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

You can do most if not all of the things that Sport does, but not Sport+ in manual mode. With PDK in Sport+ you get a different throttle map and a less intrusive PSM. If you have a car equipped with PASM it also firms up the suspension in Sport+. It keeps the RPMs between 4K and redline. I'm still learning at the track so letting Sport+ pick the right gear coming out of a turn lets me concentrate on braking and the right line. If you drive in Sport+ on the track you will see the difference otherwise I agree PDK in manual mode is as good as Sport on the street.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14
I don't understand what the big deal is about Sport/Sport+. It doesn't do anything I can't do by shifting my PDK manually.
Assuming you have sport chrono paired with your PDK, if you can't tell the difference in the the shifts between normal, sport and sport plus in manual (or auto) mode something's not right and you're due for a visit with whoever services your car. If you don't have sport chrono with your PDK then I can understand your question. You're right. Sport and sport plus modes that comes with sport chrono doesn't do anything you can't do by shifting a PDK car without SC manually. The difference is in how it does it. Sport mode, quiet a bit quicker shifts. Sport plus, dramatically quicker.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
You can do most if not all of the things that Sport does, but not Sport+ in manual mode. With PDK in Sport+ you get a different throttle map and a less intrusive PSM. If you have a car equipped with PASM it also firms up the suspension in Sport+. It keeps the RPMs between 4K and redline. I'm still learning at the track so letting Sport+ pick the right gear coming out of a turn lets me concentrate on braking and the right line. If you drive in Sport+ on the track you will see the difference otherwise I agree PDK in manual mode is as good as Sport on the street.
Not talking about the suspension or anything else here. Just the shifting. I don't understand what you're saying here. What is it that you can't do in sport + in manual mode? Sport + in manual mode gives you full control over when to shift just like a car without the SC and the sport/sport + options. Bottom line.....in manual mode with the PDK, there's no difference between a non SC car and one with SC except for how quickly it shifts in the different modes. Biggest and most noteworthy difference is that a PDK car with SC in auto mode and sport + will hold the gears to redline before shifting. This is obviously not practical, comfortable or useful for regular street use and is meant for track use only. Not a problem or an issue. Just don't use sport + in auto mode unless you're on a track.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Assuming you have sport chrono paired with your PDK, if you can't tell the difference in the the shifts between normal, sport and sport plus in manual (or auto) mode something's not right and you're due for a visit with whoever services your car. If you don't have sport chrono with your PDK then I can understand your question. You're right. Sport and sport plus modes that comes with sport chrono doesn't do anything you can't do by shifting a PDK car without SC manually. The difference is in how it does it. Sport mode, quiet a bit quicker shifts. Sport plus, dramatically quicker.
I do not have Sport Chrono, but I have been debating getting it. I'm 75 and I don't drive very aggressively. The way it shifts is already far better than any conventional automatic. I guess I am always afraid I will break something. I love the car but can't help thinking I should go back to Chevy.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:18 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Sport+ IMHO is strictly for the track. 4K to redline RPM shifts plus less intrusive PSM. Sport holds higher RPMs and shifts quicker. You can get most of the Sport experience by shifting manually with the stick or paddles. I got Sport+ for DEs on the track. Let's me concentrate on braking and the proper line.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Sport+ IMHO is strictly for the track. 4K to redline RPM shifts plus less intrusive PSM. Sport holds higher RPMs and shifts quicker. You can get most of the Sport experience by shifting manually with the stick or paddles. I got Sport+ for DEs on the track. Let's me concentrate on braking and the proper line.

I agree that sport + in auto mode is strictly for the track. Sport + in manual mode though is just fine for regular street use. I'm in sport + manual mode all the time as soon as the oil is warmed up. Does the same thing as normal or sport mode in manual mode (shifts when you tell it to), just quicker.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono