Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it take to get a 997 C2S to handle like a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM
jonnybravo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's it take to get a 997 C2S to handle like a GTS?

Hi guys. I'm new to P-cars and just purchased a 07 997.1 C2S. Its already got Ohlins coilovers on it already. What other suspension components would you guys recommend I get to make it handle like a 997 GTS? Also, what alignments specs would you get for 75% track/25% street use?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My understanding is that the gts is a C(2/4)S with options pre-included, only extra things are the widebody and the powerkit which might have been an option too. I believe the gts has sport PASM suspension, or the fixed rate sport dampers. All of which should be optional on a C2S.

Hopefully someone with a gts will chime in soon.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't doubt you could make any Carrera handle better than a stock GTS. The stock handling of all Carrera is more setup for tame street driving, therefore if you put some thought and work into it I imagine even a base Carrera with modified suspension could have better handling than a stock GTS. But getting it to handle like a car with a slightly wider rear track (44mm) may not be possible. I'm not sure the difference would matter, once you get it dialed in it'll be awesome either way. I believe the GTS comes stock with a slightly thicker sway bars. Besides that and the slight difference in rear track width I can't think of any other suspension that is different from a 997.2 Carrera S. Well PASM is standard, so that will be one difference though OP already has coil overs. GTS that have Sport PASM (which you can also get on a Carrera S) will have an LSD... so that would be one moderately big difference, of course not all GTS have Sport PASM.

Interesting discussion on 997 GTS suspension.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...e-911-gts.html

edit:

found a thread with a bunch of info on this very subject;

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-specs.html

Last edited by Fined; 12-06-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

What are deficiencies that you are trying to solve? Who says that GTS "handles" better whatever that means? Zero difference with placebo effect for X51. I can tell you if you are really advanced driver after 4-6 years of track driving you could do a few things to make your driving experience easier on the track. Get DSC box for PASM and get adjustable sway bars. Leave stock shocks and springs along.
Invest in professional instructing, mentoring, and more safety equipment.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Only differences between .2 c2s and gts suspension are a bespoke front sway for the gts, revised PASM control module and the rear track width. The only thing that makes that track wider on the gts are the rear wheel sizes and offsets. They use the same half-axles (body is wider obvi but we’re talking suspension).

Thats it.

you have .1 which only has two axis accelerometer for PSM. So a little inferior electronics if you went passive suspension but not much.

If you are 75/25 track/street you need more that old man ohlins. Check out my thread. That’s how I use my gts.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM
jonnybravo
Intermediate

Thanks for the links. Definitely helps me
to understand how far advanced the GTS is. Now time to take focus off that and to focus on learning this car and driving it more.

My other track car is a 93 Mazda RX-7. I’ve yet to take my 997 on track so before I jump to start modding, it’s better for me to figure out what I’m trying to address with it’s handling.

Originally Posted by Fined
I don't doubt you could make any Carrera handle better than a stock GTS. The stock handling of all Carrera is more setup for tame street driving, therefore if you put some thought and work into it I imagine even a base Carrera with modified suspension could have better handling than a stock GTS. But getting it to handle like a car with a slightly wider rear track (44mm) may not be possible. I'm not sure the difference would matter, once you get it dialed in it'll be awesome either way. I believe the GTS comes stock with a slightly thicker sway bars. Besides that and the slight difference in rear track width I can't think of any other suspension that is different from a 997.2 Carrera S. Well PASM is standard, so that will be one difference though OP already has coil overs. GTS that have Sport PASM (which you can also get on a Carrera S) will have an LSD... so that would be one moderately big difference, of course not all GTS have Sport PASM.

Interesting discussion on 997 GTS suspension.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...e-911-gts.html

edit:

found a thread with a bunch of info on this very subject;

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-specs.html
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

OT. I drove an FD for 15 years, got it in '92, sold it in '04, bought another, sold it in '06. Took the first one from it's 255 hp to 400 hp, the second one was already set up. Great car!!

Had the FD while I also drove a 996C2 (tame in comparison), then a 993TT, then a 996GT3. Sold the second FD while having the GT3. Drive a 997GTS now.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

More FD talk.. thats one car I could never get out of my head. Always wanted one, still do. Finally got to drive one last week, and it was all I hoped it would be. Also a GTS driver. Maybe I'll be able to get one at some point.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnybravo
Hi guys. I'm new to P-cars and just purchased a 07 997.1 C2S. Its already got Ohlins coilovers on it already. What other suspension components would you guys recommend I get to make it handle like a 997 GTS? Also, what alignments specs would you get for 75% track/25% street use?
to compliment the ohlins,I’d personally do front adjustable lower control arms (tarrett or elephant racing) and rear adjustable toe links and toe lockout kit to start with and an alignment at a race shop who know what they are doing.
if you still need better handling, look into adjustable sway bars and drop links (tarrett)and rear Dog bones kit.
next step will be corner balancing the car. I’m assuming you already have good tires on the car, if not get the cup 2 first as that alone will provide a significant difference in handling.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 AM
jonnybravo
Intermediate

You definitely should if you have the chance. They are incredible machines. I’m currently having a new motor built and installing a new turbo kit. I should be at close to 500hp to the wheels.

More FD talk.. thats one car I could never get out of my head. Always wanted one, still do. Finally got to drive one last week, and it was all I hoped it would be. Also a GTS driver. Maybe I'll be able to get one at some point.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:54 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Whats FD?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Third generation Mazda RX7 ...

https://www.h0nesty.com/?route=produ...product_id=135
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Do you mean GT3?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:24 AM
jonnybravo
Intermediate

I actually meant GTS since they pretty much have the same body while the GT3 has lots of aero.

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Do you mean GT3?
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Driver training and Geo set up. You may have a thousand track days under your belt, but a better bang for buck result you will not find. All my mates who were former pro racers were constantly training and assessing. They have far more data st their finger tips than you or I will ever have, but they're still training and improving technique.
There is plenty of adjustment in a std 911 to make great gains in car handling.
If you are predominantly going to track the car, is have thought you'd be looking for a GT3 setup rather than GTS. A tad confusing.
Save your cash on hardware and better yourself and adjust the car accordingly with what you have.

Quick Reply: What's it take to get a 997 C2S to handle like a GTS?