Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TuV approved exhausts for 997.1TT under 95dB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TuV approved exhausts for 997.1TT under 95dB?

Are there any TuV approved exhausts that will hit under 95dB at 4000 RPMs for consideration in lieu of my catless straight pipes? My neighbors are complaining about my exhaust, and Polizei wants to inspect my car. Honestly I've been considering ditching the straight pipes for a less aggressive system that will still accommodate a tune (hiflow cats, etc.) and provide decent gains in power anyways, but i'd rather not change it up if I will have the same issues with Polizei and vehicle inspections again.

To clarify, I am not German, but am a US citizen living in Germany and as long as the exhaust is under 95dB (most important) and TuV approved it should be good to go.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

Can you do valved exhaust so when you start it up and leaving the neighborhood youre in quiet mode and when you want to have fun you open it up. I have iPE exhaust that sounds glorious except i always run it in loud mode.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 919 Posts

FVD Brombacher sells TuV approved exhausts.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Is the inspection a big deal there? Do they focus on details, climb under car to inspect actual parts?

Here in NC they just connect your car OBDII and make sure readiness is fine, slight visual inspection but they are not actually trying to catch anyone, in my experience. If I brought my 911 to Germany I'm wondering what I'd be in for.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP mentioned he’s removed the cats. He’d have a whale of a time passing emissions check here in the States. There may be some states that don’t require annual emissions inspection, but I’m don’t know which ones.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronz
Can you do valved exhaust so when you start it up and leaving the neighborhood youre in quiet mode and when you want to have fun you open it up. I have iPE exhaust that sounds glorious except i always run it in loud mode.
ideally this would be a perfect setup for me, but at the moment I'm not in a position to spend $$$ on an exhaust. I will look into it as a long term replacement for my straight pipes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
FVD Brombacher sells TuV approved exhausts.
FVD is $$$. Very nice systems though.

Originally Posted by Fined
Is the inspection a big deal there? Do they focus on details, climb under car to inspect actual parts?

Here in NC they just connect your car OBDII and make sure readiness is fine, slight visual inspection but they are not actually trying to catch anyone, in my experience. If I brought my 911 to Germany I'm wondering what I'd be in for.
Are you military? For my purposes (military) we register and inspect our cars on base by the military. German plates, but they are in a separate system. Our inspection is intended to be a "safety inspection" only. If it;s not in the reg specifically, they aren't supposed to be able to fail you for it, and we do not have to abide by the TuV regulations that Germans do regarding vehicle mods. We also don't do emissions testing, and are not required to have cats, though they are tightening the rules up for these two items from what I am told.

The inspection consists of a very short test drive to test the steering, brakes, etc. They look under the hood, and make sure there are no breaks in the windshield or CEL or Airbag lights on. They check all lights, make sure you are not tinted illegally, have no headlight or tail light tint, check the body for rust/holes, whatever else could be a safety hazard, and then look under the car at the steering/suspension bushings, tires, and check the exhaust system for leaks. Things that you will fail for 100% are window tint on the front windows, tinted tail lights or headlights, burnt out bulbs, airbag or CEL on, worn suspension or steering components, bald tires, exhaust over 95dB, and a few other simple "safety" items such as windshield wipers and the like. It can be a very lenient inspection process, but if your car is modified they can be dicks. If the car is stock and in good condition, it's a simple process as long as your tires and brakes are good and the exhaust has no leaks. Just depends on the inspector.

Originally Posted by swingwing
OP mentioned he’s removed the cats. He’d have a whale of a time passing emissions check here in the States. There may be some states that don’t require annual emissions inspection, but I’m don’t know which ones.
The car was purchased from Texas and shipped over where I'm guessing they don't test for emissions because the car is loud as hell and smells like cancer. But damn does it sound good and is fun to drive.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Are you military? For my purposes (military) we register and inspect our cars on base by the military. German plates, but they are in a separate system. Our inspection is intended to be a "safety inspection" only. If it;s not in the reg specifically, they aren't supposed to be able to fail you for it, and we do not have to abide by the TuV regulations that Germans do regarding vehicle mods. We also don't do emissions testing, and are not required to have cats, though they are tightening the rules up for these two items from what I am told.

The inspection consists of a very short test drive to test the steering, brakes, etc. They look under the hood, and make sure there are no breaks in the windshield or CEL or Airbag lights on. They check all lights, make sure you are not tinted illegally, have no headlight or tail light tint, check the body for rust/holes, whatever else could be a safety hazard, and then look under the car at the steering/suspension bushings, tires, and check the exhaust system for leaks. Things that you will fail for 100% are window tint on the front windows, tinted tail lights or headlights, burnt out bulbs, airbag or CEL on, worn suspension or steering components, bald tires, exhaust over 95dB, and a few other simple "safety" items such as windshield wipers and the like. It can be a very lenient inspection process, but if your car is modified they can be dicks. If the car is stock and in good condition, it's a simple process as long as your tires and brakes are good and the exhaust has no leaks. Just depends on the inspector.
Great info, thanks. No, not military. Have some ongoing discussion with a US company who needs a nerdy guy like me in Germany. Just weighing everything at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I would think that many of the European manufacturers would have TUV approval. Besides FVD, maybe try Cargraphic, Tubi, or post a WTB ad in the classifieds here (maybe someone has some cats to sell}. Also look at.Soul Motorsports and Fabspeed. I think a valved exhaust is going to be your best bet for compliance and to achieve your sound goals.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

cargraphic tuv sound version
Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 248 Posts

Tubi?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. I've been looking at a lot of the x pipe 4 muffler cat bypass exhaust systems similar to the ones Markski Tuning makes (FVD has a version as well for around $2000). How do these sound in comparison to catless straight pipes in terms of dB, sound quality, tone, etc.? I'm not really hell belt on getting an exhaust that is TuV approved or under 95 dB anymore, just want something a bit more tame even if it's still "loud" by oem standards.

Problem with the straight pipes is there is no quiet at idle, no taking off slowly and keeping the volume down, etc. It's just 100% pure, raw uncorked noise under any condition, especially when you start the car in the garage after it's been sitting cold for awhile. Trying to find a happy medium between OEM and straight pipes that will appease my neighbors a bit and draw less attention. I can still go back to stock once a year for inspection.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:39 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Keep garage door closed when starting. With practice you can discover how long you can warm up car to lower noise level before passing out.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined

Yes in Germany its a big deal, they can partially disassemble if they think you have aftermarket headlights on, for example.
Be glad we don't have this in North America

Quick Reply: TuV approved exhausts for 997.1TT under 95dB?