Front/rear Bumper protector/cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM
ancientsanskrit
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front/rear Bumper protector/cover

All,

Need some insight for those of you that live in big cities. Wife and I recently moved back to Dallas downtown and in two weeks, someone backed into my wife's new Lexus leaving deep scratches. This evening, to my horror, I saw a couple of small scratches on the front of my 911 which appears someone backed into. We live in a dense parking lot with four cars. I protect the 911 from the sides and back with my other cars, but now need something to protect the front when parked.

Any suggestions? I don't have front license holes so those larger front rubber license brackets are out.

I'm thinking something similar to this link that will fit our cars (
Amazon Amazon
)

Ughh, just pisses me off to no end with the blatant disrespect of other's property.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 AM
911997c2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper protection

That thing looks like it should work ok. You could also use some inflatable boat bumpers. Probably more protection if you use a couple of them.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

98% of people don't car about other peoples cars and are going to use the "parking by braile" method in the big cites - I've seen in over and over in Chicago when visiting. Those are going to be a PITA to use and just attract attention to your car where some idiot is going to bump it harder just because you went to the trouble of trying to protect it. I'd have the bumpers clear-brad which will help protect them from abrasions and if it gets messed up you can have it redone, but really I'd check the marketplace for a spare set of bumpers (they're cheap, like a few hundred bucks each), have them color matched to your car and put them away. When you move to where you won't be parking in the big city or it's time to sell the car, install the fresh bumpers.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:00 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in the same boat. I live in Baltimore City. I see it happen all the time. There is nothing you can do really like Pete said. You can use those bumper protectors and I have seen folks use them. They look silly and can still scuff your bumper. Me personally, I just don't park the 911 on the street when I have the car. Otherwise she is in a covered storage space. We have a parking pad, no garage. When I do have the 911, my wife parks on the street and I park in the parking pad! haha I also have Jaguar XK8 and was all dinged up on the bumpers from people. But the 911 takes priority. Wish I had better advice. People say why did you get a 911? Its gonna get all banged up. I say, I am not letting my living situation dictate what I want to drive.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

if somebody hits that or rubs it against your car, its going to scrape the paint anyway.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Get 3m clearbra for the front and back which will help for light taps and some minor contact. But there is a company that makes a proper rubber bumper attachment designed for parallel parkers..
Old 11-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Putting something like that on you car may vey well attract negative attention. Some people just don’t have any respect for othes and will make it a point they don’t feel you shouldn’t have something nice and take care of it. I live in Medford Oregon and I cant tell you how many times I have parked my car in the farthest parking spot while shopping at the grocery store or hardware store only to return to find someone has parked their pickup as close as possible to my car so I have use passenger’s side door to get in. Often there are 20 or more vacant parking spots from the next nearest car. I don’t use my car to run errands nearly as much as I used too because of the frequency this happens. The clear protection is probably your best solution to protecting your bumper ‘s finish. Cheers

Last edited by Kuhl997.2!; 11-29-2018 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Putting something like that on you car may vey well attract negative attention. Some people just don’t have any respect for othes and will make it a point they don’t feel you shouldn’t have something nice and take care of it. I live in Medford Oregon and I cant tell you how many times I have parked my car in the farthest parking spot while shopping at the grocery store or hardware store only to return to find someone has parked their pickup as close as possible to my car so I have use passenger’s side door to get in. Often there are 20 or more vacant parking spots from the next nearest car. I don’t use my car to run errands nearly as much as I used too because of the frequency this happens. The clear protection is probably your best solution to protecting your bumper ‘s finish. Cheers
I'm about as far away from you as one could be in the US but I've had exactly the same thing happen here along with tailgating and other rage like behavior by pickup drivers. Not once but on a somewhat regular basis. Seems there's some kind of mental hatred signal triggered when some of these pickup characters spot a Porsche and I'm sure other high end cars no matter where in the US you live since I doubt it's just an Oregon/Florida phenomena. One of them rear ended my -09 C4S and there was definitely a lot of attitude on display the moment he stepped out of his car even though there was never any question of who was at fault. I called the cops to get a report on file and even the officer who arrived had to tell this guy to "gather himself and tone it down". He had nothing on me. I was just sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic to pass.

Worth mentioning. I've never had anything like any of the events described above happen with anything other than large pickup trucks.

Quick Reply: Front/rear Bumper protector/cover