Sponsored by:

Wheel Identification?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel Identification?

I'm looking for some help in identifying if these wheels are OEM or not as well as any fitment issues. I'm looking at picking up an extra set of winter wheels and tires for the 2009 C4S I will be taking delivery on in about two weeks.

The seller claims they are 'Turbo Twist Wheels' but they do not look quite like them, and I'm struggling to find other OEM wheels that look like this from another model Porsche. They look a bit like the Porsche Sport Techno wheels, but again not quite.

The description reads 18x11, 18x9 hollow spoke with Porsche rim caps. The bolt pattern is 5x130mm, offset 40-55mm, front & rear center bore 71.5mm, stud size 14x1.5. The tires are 225/40/18 up front and 275/35/18 in the back.

Can anyone ID if these are indeed OEM (or at least look like OEM)? Also are the rear tires too narrow to be used on the vehicle in the snow?

(I'm having issues uploading the pictures so here is a separate link and another image )

Last edited by Greenchunks; 11-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

They arent normal, they may be some cayman or cheyenne wheel
Old 11-19-2018, 01:14 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sport Edition Cup 4
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...2&autoModClar=
Old 11-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Awesome thanks! That's definitely them.

Odd it looks like they only come in 18x8 and 18x10, despite seller listing them as 18x9 and 18x11. I will have to reconfirm with them the information.

Will there be fitment issues with an 18x8 Offset 54mm and 18x10 Offset 40mm fitting to a 2009 C4S? Tire Rack lists the 19" versions as fitment for the vehicle, but not the 18"s.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:03 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

its a aftermkt cast wheel, and thats why it doesnt have the exact same design of a porsche oem wheel design.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenchunks
Awesome thanks! That's definitely them.

Odd it looks like they only come in 18x8 and 18x10, despite seller listing them as 18x9 and 18x11. I will have to reconfirm with them the information.

Will there be fitment issues with an 18x8 Offset 54mm and 18x10 Offset 40mm fitting to a 2009 C4S? Tire Rack lists the 19" versions as fitment for the vehicle, but not the 18"s.
I don't have direct experience with widebody rear fitment, but the fronts are going to be pretty far sunk in. I find an et50 on an 8.5 wheel perfect on the front, but others like more poke than even that compared to my ideal, these are going to be 10mm further in (1/4" or 6mm from the 1/2" narrower width split evenly on both sides of center) and then 4mm more from the offset difference. They'd work with a spacer and longer lug bolts though.

A 10" wide rear is narrow for a 911 and usually run by Boxsters / Caymans or 928s,but for a winter wheel set where you'll be driving in snow, a little narrower like this is good to sink through the snow.

One other thing on these specific wheels is that the mounting holes are tiny - you'll probably need a thin walled socket to be able to fit it in there.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't have direct experience with widebody rear fitment, but the fronts are going to be pretty far sunk in. I find an et50 on an 8.5 wheel perfect on the front, but others like more poke than even that compared to my ideal, these are going to be 10mm further in (1/4" or 6mm from the 1/2" narrower width split evenly on both sides of center) and then 4mm more from the offset difference. They'd work with a spacer and longer lug bolts though.

A 10" wide rear is narrow for a 911 and usually run by Boxsters / Caymans or 928s,but for a winter wheel set where you'll be driving in snow, a little narrower like this is good to sink through the snow.

One other thing on these specific wheels is that the mounting holes are tiny - you'll probably need a thin walled socket to be able to fit it in there.
Sunk in a bit is fine as they are winter wheels and not meant to be the most attractive. I'm more concerned that they clear the calipers, don't rub/etc.

So it sounds like they will work and fit, but are not exactly ideal for visual effect and I might not want to push the car too hard from a traction perspective with them on?

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sunk in a bit is fine as they are winter wheels and not meant to be the most attractive. I'm more concerned that they clear the calipers, don't rub/etc.

So it sounds like they will work and fit, but are not exactly ideal for visual effect and I might not want to push the car too hard from a traction perspective with them on?
Assuming you have Big Red brakes and not PCCBs, an 18" wheel should clear the calipers. If you have PCCBs, I'm ot sure 18s will clear. In the winter a little sunk in is probably better as more of the road junk will go into the fenders instead of down the side of the car. They should work for regular brakes. I think they were pretty inexpensive from Tire Rack, so make sure you're getting a good deal buying them used.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are OEM wheels, they will have a part number stamped to the back of the spoke. Ask for reference from seller.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Assuming you have Big Red brakes and not PCCBs, an 18" wheel should clear the calipers. If you have PCCBs, I'm ot sure 18s will clear. In the winter a little sunk in is probably better as more of the road junk will go into the fenders instead of down the side of the car. They should work for regular brakes. I think they were pretty inexpensive from Tire Rack, so make sure you're getting a good deal buying them used.
Excellent. The car has the standard Big Red's. The wheels are definitely not OEM-despite the seller being told they were 911TT replicas when they bought their 04 911 from the dealership, they are stamped Made in China, and are indeed the 18x8 and 18x10 as suspected. They seller was asking for $1200 with winter tires (Pirelli Snowsport up front and Blizzaks in back) that have one season on them, but has gone down to $950 for the set. It would be around $1k for the tires and $800 for the rims new, so half that for used isn't too bad in my book.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Excellent. The car has the standard Big Red's. The wheels are definitely not OEM-despite the seller being told they were 911TT replicas when they bought their 04 911 from the dealership, they are stamped Made in China, and are indeed the 18x8 and 18x10 as suspected. They seller was asking for $1200 with winter tires (Pirelli Snowsport up front and Blizzaks in back) that have one season on them, but has gone down to $950 for the set. It would be around $1k for the tires and $800 for the rims new, so half that for used isn't too bad in my book.
It's a bad idea to have mismatched tires on the front vs rear of the car. It can create a cornering instability where one axle or the other lets go under completely different conditions than the other. Make and model of the tires should be the same at all 4 corners. I'd determine which is the better pair and negotiate with the seller down by the amount it will cost you to equip the other axle with matching tires (or maybe he'll split the difference with you since they're already half-price compared to new). Then take the ones you remove and put them up for sale on craigslist locally to get a few $s for them, which will cover your half of the new tire cost along with the mount and road force balance charges.

Quick Reply: Wheel Identification?