New to me 2005 997.1 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:20 AM
V2RKET
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2005 997.1 Cab

Hi,
New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2005 997.1 6spd Artic Silver/Stone Grey C2. It was purchased from a family member that passed about a year ago and was lovingly maintained and about as perfect as one could hope for 13 years of age. The good..it has 9500 miles. The bad it has 9500 miles. Before purchase it just went through its major 10,000 mile service (new spark plugs, drive belt, fluids, radiator cleaning etc). New tires and alignment were also done for the car. I know about the IMS issues in the 05 year. I have dived intensively on this forum reading all I could. The good news is that my engine serial M96/05 69508566 indicates it should hopefully have the updated IMS bearing ( I know there is no absolute way to know besides dropping the tranny). It was an April 2005 build. So far I'm loving it! I'm not going to lie though reading the forum has me paranoid about a ticking time bomb. The few days I have had it so far have been a blast. I really love the analogue driving experience and rowing the gears again. I plan to drive it much more compared to the previous owner.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 AM
Matthew Yonan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Sharp car.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Dern. It’s like a new car. Definitely a good move to drive the car more.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 AM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Clean looking car. I am sure you will enjoy.
Congrats
Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the cab club!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:01 AM
V2RKET
5th Gear

Thanks guys! Just took it on a nice morning run. Something to ask you all. I noticed in the neighborhood at the end of my drive that the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating when I would shift etc. I didn't happen to notice it during the drive but in the neighborhood it was going up to 3-4 on the band and when I would shift down to 2. All the other temps were right where the need to be. Is this normal? Indicative of anything? I need to keep a better eye on it when driving next time. Loving the car so far.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Sleek. Nice pick up. 10K miles on an 05?!? That's borderline neglect by the previous owner. We're counting on you to reverse that trend!
Welcome to the club.
T
Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V2RKET
Thanks guys! Just took it on a nice morning run. Something to ask you all. I noticed in the neighborhood at the end of my drive that the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating when I would shift etc. I didn't happen to notice it during the drive but in the neighborhood it was going up to 3-4 on the band and when I would shift down to 2. All the other temps were right where the need to be. Is this normal? Indicative of anything? I need to keep a better eye on it when driving next time. Loving the car so far.
Your Oil pressure gauge is normal. It will fluctuate. When driving highway or above 3k rpm, it should be all the way at the top at 5. Search the forum on oil pressure and you will get further details.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Gorgeous...nice job!

Check out Blackstone Labs' oil analysis and consider doing it every oil change: www.blackstone-labs.com
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM
V2RKET
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cannonball05
Your Oil pressure gauge is normal. It will fluctuate. When driving highway or above 3k rpm, it should be all the way at the top at 5. Search the forum on oil pressure and you will get further details.
Thank you! I had never much paid attention to this in my other cars. Now having this 13 year old car anything that I notice makes me wonder what is normal. Thanks for the quick reply.

Originally Posted by SF997S
Gorgeous...nice job!

Check out Blackstone Labs' oil analysis and consider doing it every oil change: www.blackstone-labs.com
Absolutely. I've used them before and I'll be doing this as well. Do most folks on here change their own oil? Magnetic drain plug as well?
Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks brand new, very nice!

For what it's worth - I have an early 2005 that should have the smaller IMS bearing that could be swapped, but even still I'm in no rush. I've read/heard all the discussions...and like you was alarmed when I first learned of it. However, the reality is that odds of having the issue in reality are quite remote. I'll swap the IMS out once a job requires being in there (like a clutch change), but that is way off for me as well (only 27k miles...yes...I don't drive it enough). I certainly feel for those that have been burned by the IMS or bore scoring (don't start reading about that!), but keep in mind they tend to be pretty vocal on the subject (understandably) and are more likely to find/post in this forum looking for answers.

I change the oil annually myself and have done so for 7 years. It has never burned a drop of oil between these changes (granted, not a lot of miles in-between). I did get an LN Engineering magnetic plug the first year I got it and have never seen a speck of anything on it. Haven't been concerned to do the Blackstone stuff either.

I follow some basic steps to try to take care of the engine. Keep the oil/filter changed (personally am not doing anything fancy here, just factory recommended Mobile 1). I try to avoid driving any short distances where I don't get the oil/engine to full temperature. Avoid letting the car sit more than a week or so without giving it a good drive. After starting, keep revs down (say no more than 3-3.5K RPM until the oil temperature is above 200 degrees...then let it rip. Avoid driving around lugging the motor at low RPM's...better to keep the revs up.

My 2 cents is don't worry and just enjoy the car! Play out the worse case (and again VERY unlikely) scenario here...is it really the end of the world? Engine blows on your not necessary to have to begin with Porsche toy and you (1) sell it at a significant loss or (2) spend significant money with LN to get an upgraded/better engine to make the toy even better.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:34 PM
V2RKET
5th Gear

Originally Posted by maxw
Looks brand new, very nice!

For what it's worth - I have an early 2005 that should have the smaller IMS bearing that could be swapped, but even still I'm in no rush. I've read/heard all the discussions...and like you was alarmed when I first learned of it. However, the reality is that odds of having the issue in reality are quite remote. I'll swap the IMS out once a job requires being in there (like a clutch change), but that is way off for me as well (only 27k miles...yes...I don't drive it enough). I certainly feel for those that have been burned by the IMS or bore scoring (don't start reading about that!), but keep in mind they tend to be pretty vocal on the subject (understandably) and are more likely to find/post in this forum looking for answers.

I change the oil annually myself and have done so for 7 years. It has never burned a drop of oil between these changes (granted, not a lot of miles in-between). I did get an LN Engineering magnetic plug the first year I got it and have never seen a speck of anything on it. Haven't been concerned to do the Blackstone stuff either.

I follow some basic steps to try to take care of the engine. Keep the oil/filter changed (personally am not doing anything fancy here, just factory recommended Mobile 1). I try to avoid driving any short distances where I don't get the oil/engine to full temperature. Avoid letting the car sit more than a week or so without giving it a good drive. After starting, keep revs down (say no more than 3-3.5K RPM until the oil temperature is above 200 degrees...then let it rip. Avoid driving around lugging the motor at low RPM's...better to keep the revs up.

My 2 cents is don't worry and just enjoy the car! Play out the worse case (and again VERY unlikely) scenario here...is it really the end of the world? Engine blows on your not necessary to have to begin with Porsche toy and you (1) sell it at a significant loss or (2) spend significant money with LN to get an upgraded/better engine to make the toy even better.

Thanks for the outstanding post. This total makes puts me in a good mood this afternoon. Had an awesome morning drive. Researching I came up with some of the same stuff. I drive it under 3k until the oil gets warm and then have been unwinding it a bit just to work it out and have also avoided lugging the motor keeping the RPMs above 2k or so cruising around. Luckily my drive around here has some scenic roads and it easy to take a quick 20/30 minute drive.

I've been so excited about the car but all the subsequent IMS posts on other forums I post on have been a downer. Thanks for the positive message! Loving this car so far.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

impostor!

nice car.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 284 Posts

Beautiful ride. Most likely you have the larger bearing being an April build. Mine is a C2 03/05 build date with the larger bearing; I have about 30k miles on it since new and do not burn any oil for the most part. Ok; so we ( I ) need the data point if you don't mind - how much did you pay for it, considering it was a family friend of course, etc.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! enjoy it and put some miles on it.

Quick Reply: New to me 2005 997.1 Cab