Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I got my car back today. Replace Coils/Plugs, New Coolant tank/Cap, brake fluid and oil change. Washed and vacuumed the inside. 53,000 miles and a $380 tab from my friend.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,988 Likes on 2,955 Posts

Good deal - Nice when labor is inexpensive - Hope the plugs don't pop out
My list: water pump, thermostat, coolant flush, brake flush, front rotors/pads sensors, RMS and clutch is costing me $1700 labor - I supply the parts
Aker's Porsche is one of the best Indy's on West Coast - Friends for 30 years so I get a break in price - Google Denny Aker - He's got collection of Speedster's, 356, 911's race cars and very well known in Porsche circle.
His son Mark runs the shop now and just a great technician/mechanic - They work on Pre-A 356 to the latest GT-3. Lucky to have the shop 5 blocks from my home.

Denny drives a 2006 997C4S - Silver/black, manual tranny - Mark drives Porsche SUV and has his own collection of 356/911's and my favorite a 1972 911s in original dark purple color in mint condition.

Of course I supply the Starbucks gift cards and occasional pizza when I drop by.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

We have this family where our kids are the same age, went to the same schools, played the same sports so we all started hanging out with each other over the decades. BBQ's led to family vacations and weddings as a group. The dad is Porsche factory mechanic and im the chef of the bunch. A way to a persons heart is through the stomach. We usually take two cars over the BBQ and leave the 977. He calls when its done and we go back over with food to grill and pick up the car. It works out well.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^^perfect!
I'm assuming steaks/salmon not burgers & dogs
Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Groovezilla......its never cheap hahaha. Its always a nice appetizer, main course with 2 sides and some sort of home made pie or cobbler. We call them stretchy pants parties for obvious reasons. His wife and I plan the menu and we get a head count the day of....depends on what 'kids' stop by and if they are bring their significant others along. Always a few blond labs circling like sharks for table scraps. Nothing low cal but its the weekend so who cares.

My latest kick is learning how to cook southern fried chicken perfectly. After 3 batches, it will be the main course at our next get together. Hits included Sausage and Cojote cheese stuffed Poblano peppers on the grill with a cilantro cream sauce. Rack of Lamb, Butternut Squash Goat Cheese Au Gratin with leeks, marinated tomahawk rib-eyes and my mothers Beef Stroganoff. Everyone leaves with leftovers And the desert stays with the host, thats the rule. When I bring back seafood from Florida fishing adventures, it takes center stage and we do some sort of seared tuna, paia or Tequila Garlic shrimp. The seafood clam bakes are always popular and are a sure to draw in all the kids at once.

Its really a nice trade off to be able to spend quality time with quality people who happen to be our best friends and our kids. Ive given them rides on the GIV before and he helps me with my Porsches. But we spend the most time laughing around the BBQ sipping Margaritas while the girls do the prep work inside.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

That chicken sounds good - I've been barbecuing for ages but always have trouble getting that nice crispy blackened outer shell on steaks - Tried letting grill get extremely hot but for some reason the steaks won't crisp up much -----> SO I saw cooking show and they suggested starting steaks in iron pan on stove with butter - Tried it for the 1st time a few days ago and worked very well. I wound up just cooking them entirely in pan. They tasted great and had that nice restaurant crispy dark outer shell.
My favorite on grill are giant doorknob scallops which I prepare spicy, fresh dungeness crab and salmon that we catch up here.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Car is back and driving great. My indy ended up doing the plugs too, as he thought the existing plugs weren't in great shape. He also found two coils packs missing their hold-down screws. Prior owner's mechanic did that job a couple of years back. The engine was power washed - it looks like a new engine. I went though the old parts today. A/c compressor totally seized at the clutch. Took it all apart and looked at everything. Don't know why it failed/seized. The AOS was getting ready to go, and the IMS bearing looked fine, but you could hear it when spun. Based upon my Boxster IMS that I replaced, it should be dead silent when spinning. So maybe I dodged a bullet on this one? Car has just a tick under 78K miles, and I drive it as it should be driven, plus the occasional DE. The water pump was leaking, nothing to salvage there (never use a rebuilt water pump). As to the T-stat, I was surprised to see that it was the whole housing that gets replaced. The t-stat is integral to the housing. The clutch was toast, and the car shifts like a different car now. My coolant overflow tank was fine, so I'll clean up the old one and list it for sale. Not brittle at all.

So, all done, just in time to put it away for the winter. Buttoned up my 928 too, and took it for a nice long cruise today. Damn I love that car! It's going to be a long winter
Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Sounds great! I too didn't realize the thermostat was a complete unit with the housing until I ordered it. I'd imagine lots of owners don't order their parts and don't request old parts back so never see the Thermostat as a complete unit.
Did you go with the 160 degree Thermostat?
I'm anxiously awaiting my car - I had my garage door motor replaced Friday so asked shop to hold my car until tomorrow. Love the new opener - Has WIFI so I can use my phone.
My flywheel turned out to be in great condition so I didn't need to replace it and the old clutch looked in good condition too with about 60% life left so was far from worn out but what the hell, it's only money
Love hanging at Akers shop - Walked over last week and got photo of my car on rack and lots of cool stuff laying around

Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Groover - Scallops look great,spicy and healthy -recipe please . Sorry for the digression, you started it though
Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Groover - Scallops look great,spicy and healthy -recipe please . Sorry for the digression, you started it though
Big doorknob scallops - Olive oil in pan - Get pan hot and sear scallops about 1.5 minutes on each side - lower heat and mix in preferred hot sauce w/sesame oil and butter.
I use a hot sauce that I get from Asian market that has the red pepper flakes in it.
Cook only about 2 minutes total after the searing - Important not to over cook.
Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

G- thx- gonna make em this week. Now, back to cars....

Quick Reply: Going under the knife