Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Going under the knife (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1107368-going-under-the-knife.html)

linderpat 10-24-2018 02:37 PM

Going under the knife

Car goes into my favorite indy next week for the following:
  • IMS upgrade (LN latest iteration)
  • RMS - fix a drip
  • clutch - why not, 78K on the car
  • water pump, thermostat - leaking badly, and prompted the service now rather than over the winter when I can't drive it anyway.
  • AOS replacement
  • coolant expansion tank replacement
  • a/c condenser - existing one recently fried
What else at this point? As mentioned, I have about 78K on the clock. The car had the full major 60K service done last year at the dealership just before I bought it. They did all of the things required for that service.

Skwerl 10-24-2018 02:41 PM

Maybe engine mounts and transmission fluid?

semicycler 10-24-2018 02:52 PM

From your signature it's a 2005? Do the alternator to battery wire harness while the AOS is being done. Low temp thermostat - "experts" believe this helps prevent bore scoring. Perhaps 3rd radiator while you are in there.

groovzilla 10-24-2018 04:49 PM

I'm doing same thing October 30th on my 2007 C4S - Car has 76K miles ---> car going to Aker's Porsche here in Seattle for:
-water pump & thermostat
-RMS & Clutch - PPI showed RMS no drips but weepage so doing clutch too - why not?;)
-Brake flush - Front brake rotors/pads/sensors

Linderpat since our cars are going under knife, I'll like church candles for both of us.

linderpat 10-24-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 15383639)

Linderpat since our cars are going under knife, I'll lite church candles for both of us.

:roflmao::cheers:

jeebus31 10-24-2018 09:56 PM

One thing I've noticed not many people replace is the trans mount. Since they are taking the trans off, they can press a new mount in there and will help clean up shifts.

groovzilla 10-24-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeebus31 (Post 15384422)
One thing I've noticed not many people replace is the trans mount. Since they are taking the trans off, they can press a new mount in there and will help clean up shifts.

good idea

linderpat 10-25-2018 11:01 AM

Keep em coming folks. Another one from another thread is the alternator harness. What's the issue with that?

groovzilla 10-25-2018 02:40 PM

^^^linderpat you thinking of changing out flywheel?? With 75K on clutch, I'm probably replacing mine but I'd love to save $800:p
My indy doesn't like to send them out to machine shop for re-facing - He feels if they have enough crap on them better to start fresh so they sit nice and tight with no play of any kind and cost to machine is about $275 - I have to agree but $800 is a lot of sushi

**RennPart(Racing parts co.) is a great source for OEM parts - Outfit is in Florida - I've dealt with owner Aaron
Here are prices I paid including shipping all OEM:
Sacks Clutch Kit - $495
RMS - $31
Water Pump and Seal - $249
Flywheel - $733
:cool:

captainbaker 10-25-2018 11:05 PM

Ignition coils and plugs. Mine is at Porsche as well. Coils/plugs, brake flush, oil change, coolant tank replacement.

PNW2015 10-26-2018 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 15386111)
^^^linderpat you thinking of changing out flywheel?? With 75K on clutch, I'm probably replacing mine but I'd love to save $800:p
My indy doesn't like to send them out to machine shop for re-facing - He feels if they have enough crap on them better to start fresh so they sit nice and tight with no play of any kind and cost to machine is about $275 - I have to agree but $800 is a lot of sushi

**RennPart(Racing parts co.) is a great source for OEM parts - Outfit is in Florida - I've dealt with owner Aaron
Sacks Clutch Kit - $495
RMS - $31
Flywheel - $733

Two meals at Shiro in Belltown?

groovzilla 10-26-2018 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by PNW2015 (Post 15387358)
Two meals at Shiro in Belltown?

10 meals at better Toyoda Sushi on Lake City Way

linderpat 10-26-2018 11:11 AM

Sacks Clutch Kit - $495
RMS - $31
Flywheel - $733

Good stuff Groove. I use my old buddy Roger Tyson at 928R Us for parts. His service is unparalleled, and he supplies more than 928 parts now, at prices that overall, beat all of the other regular sources. Plus Roger stands behind what he sells, and swaps out without question if the wrong part is ordered. Highly recommend (well known quantity in the shark community).

Not sure about the fly wheel. I'll let my indy make that call.

Originally Posted by captainbaker (Post 15387278)
Ignition coils and plugs. Mine is at Porsche as well. Coils/plugs, brake flush, oil change, coolant tank replacement.

I'll have to check my service history, but I think coils/plugs were done recently, before I bought the car. Otherwise, yes, that's the time to do those too. I have coolant tank already on the list, and brake flush is my job - do it multiple times due to track events. I also do my own oil changes (in fact most maintenance, except for big stuff). I am guessing that the shop will need to do an oil change because they are replacing the RMS.

RennPart 10-26-2018 01:01 PM

Sacks Clutch Kit - $495
RMS - $31
Flywheel - $733

thank you! Glad we were able to get you back on the road. Were you able to re-use your flywheel?

We are actually in North Carolina, no hard feelings for those Florida guys!

groovzilla 10-26-2018 01:20 PM

linderpat - is your 928 going under the knife OR the 997? I was assuming 997 didn;t realize you had the 928 too