Sponsored by:

Going under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,989 Likes on 2,955 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
thank you! Glad we were able to get you back on the road. Were you able to re-use your flywheel?

We are actually in North Carolina, no hard feelings for those Florida guys!
THX Aaron - I'll let you know if I will need the flywheel - Car goes in October 31st
Old 10-26-2018, 02:35 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
linderpat - is your 928 going under the knife OR the 997? I was assuming 997 didn;t realize you had the 928 too
My 997 is. As I said above, Roger (928R Us) has branched out into all Porsche parts, and also Mercedes and Audi. None better in my experience on price or service. Don't let the name of the company limit you.

PS - this is not a paid adv and I get no discounts for saying this. But Roger is a great guy, and he runs a tight ship.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:38 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Dropped my car off at shop today - Gonna be a tough night.
Tomorrow late afternoon I'll finally get some nice underside photos when RMS/clutch and water pump are done and still up on rack.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Dropped mine off this evening too, with a big list of things to do. It'll be gone for a bit. Hopefully not too long. At least I was able to drive it to the shop, leaky water pump notwithstanding. Added coolant and away I went, watching the gauges closely. They never moved - coolant at the normal; 175 the whole way.

Now I can finish work on my 928. Rebuilt alternator and replaced voltmeter, checked wiring harness (all good there), oil change, coolant flush, timing belt tension check (needed loosened a smidge). Still need to find the short causing the license plate lights to not work. Then pull the pasha seats for winter climate controlled storage and insert my regular driver seats, and get it ready for winter slumber.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:49 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 731 Likes on 458 Posts

Are they taking the engine out for all this work?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yelcab
Are they taking the engine out for all this work?
I would imagine they are, as dropping the engine is not a big deal with these cars, and much more efficient to do the work (for a shop with a lift, an engine cradle, etc). For instance, the engine has to come down to get the coolant tank out. Likewise, the AOS is not an easy job with the engine in the car. It can be done, but a shop would not do it that way. Further, the transmission is coming out anyway, so dropping the whole unit at once makes sense.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

2 items that were noticed on my PPI back in June were the front brake rotors having slight ridge on edges and RMS area under tranny was moist - No drips just some dirt buildup
Brakes have always felt good in the 1300 miles I've driven - RMS always remained the same with just a slight dirty area but never any oil drip.
*I decided to do clutch even though it feels good and no issues. Makes no sense to skip clutch when it's a $500 part and 15 minutes labor.

Also figured I'd have the water pump and thermostat changed since I don't know if it's been done recently.

So complete list is:
1. Brakes flushed - New front rotors/pads/sensors
2. Clutch and RMS replaced
3. Coolant flush - Water pump/gasket and thermostat replaced
4. Also have them install my clear marker lights - Figure while car is in air might take 5 minutes a side.

I assume they will do all work with car on lift - No need to drop engine to change out the water pump/thermostat

Have fun working on the 928 - I had a 1980 silver/black sunroof model back in 1985 - Manual transmission w/a couple worn syncros. My 1st Porsche
Old 11-01-2018, 03:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Aker's Porsche shop is only 5 blocks from my house so stopped by today to drop off clear marker lights - Water pump was removed and in excellent condition. All blades intact very clean except for the greasy finger marks

Old 11-01-2018, 03:59 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Aker's Porsche shop is only 5 blocks from my house so stopped by today to drop off clear marker lights - Water pump was removed and in excellent condition. All blades intact very clean except for the greasy finger marks

Defintely save it as a spare.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
Defintely save it as a spare.
Good idea
Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Stopped by the shop this morning on the way into work. The car is in the air, and the tranny is out. So evidently, the work being done really does not need the motor to be dropped after all. The AOS was easily accessed from the rear with the transmission out. The water pump, t-stat etc were not a problem being handled from the front underside. My guy said the coolant expansion tank will be a PIA though, and they will have to lower the engine to get the old one out and new one in.

As to the big things, my IMS was original, but perfect. A new LN is in there though, so no worries. The clutch was worn to the rivets - so that was clearly ready to be replaced, as was the RMS. The one thing the discovered was the oil cooler was shot, and leaking coolant as well. I still don't have details on my fried a/c compressor, and the new one hasn't been put in yet, although the old one was out.

All in all, I'll have great piece of mind for many years after getting all of these things done.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:06 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Could you tell clutch was worn out with the feel of the clutch pedal? Pedal usually gets stiff/hard to press.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Yes, at the last couple of DE's, under load, the engine would rev but not grab. It would slip a little bit, especially going uphill on full throttle. I cannot tell how the pedal was, as I've only owned the car for a year, so I do not know what it should feel like. I'll know in a few days. The car has 78K on it, so due anyway. It was more worn than we thought it would be however.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

My car has 76,400 miles - Like I mentioned since RMS needs changing the clutch is getting done - No idea how long ago it was changed or if it ever has been.
I've heard of cars going 90,000 miles before clutch is needed so I'm guessing your clutch is probably original to car.
Will be nice to have fresh clutch
Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

I wish I would have snapped a few pictures when I was there. I did ask for the old parts though - I always do. Then I take them apart and try to figure out failure points, wear points, etc. Or, if they are still good, they get catalogued and go in the spares bins.

Quick Reply: Going under the knife