Sponsored by:

19" RS Spyder Centerlock Wheel Damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 19" RS Spyder Centerlock Wheel Damage

Hi everyone. I just got my 911 GTS and in less than a month and 1000 miles both of my front rims have been deformed.
Not to the point of leaking air, but the aluminum lip has been squished.
Is this normal????
I drove an M3 for 14 years with similar type of low profile tires and I never had this happen even once.
Is there an issue with forged rims?
Aren't forged rims supposed to be stronger than cast?
For reference I live in the SF bay area.
I went to Rennsport Reunion and Cars and Coffee at Canepa.
I know the roads are bad in the bay area, but they shouldn't be that bad.
I am not driving into pot holes on purpose or flying over railroad tracks so this is frustrating to me.
Not even really tapping into the potential of the car...not my style. No track time.
I know porsche is expensive to own and maintain, but this is exasperating to me.
Should I just wait until this happens two or three more times per wheel then take it to the rim repair place for $150 a pop?
Yes my tire pressures are within recommended spec.
Any recommendation on porsche approved tires that may be better at taking the knocks?
Any thoughts?

-fat louis

Is this normal for low profile tires???????

Louis
Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not "normal". If your tire pressure really is set to the values stated in the door panel, then I can only guess you are hitting low curbs either while diagonal parking, or elsewhere. Some driveways have a low, maybe 1", lip. If you hit something like that at under about 30 degrees, the rim will hit the concrete and be damaged. You need to try to hit any raised surface at a angles as close to 90 degrees as possible.

For reference, I have 2 sets of these wheels (summer and winter tires), and have no issues. That includes some rough railroad tracks I hit often, but always at 90 degrees.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Have put 40k miles on my GTS here in the Bay Area with no problems at all.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:46 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

I've put 20,000 miles on my 2011 GTS with no problems, and that includes some really bad roads in the Dallas area, as well as construction areas in Colorado.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Anyone other than you driving the car? They may have curbed the wheels.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:11 PM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

nope, I have not had the car long enough for this to happen.
does this count as curbing?
it isn't scraped, it is just smooshed like putty.
what do you think about paulfdunn's theory posted above?
obviously if other do not have the problem it is obviously me so I want to learn how to stop doing it.
I am just grateful the bead hasn't been compromised so I can still drive, but cosmetically the problem of driving a car like this is you want it to be perfect.

thanks
Louis
Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Approaching 59,000 miles on my 2011 GTS with nothing like what you're describing. First thought of mine when I read your thread is how that kind of damage could occur without it being completely obvious to you where, how and when. Seems to me it would take quiet a jolt that would be hard not to get alarmed over. And to have it happen twice during just 1,000 miles? Sorry.......I have no clue. Best I can think is that you're so used to some horrible roads with nasty potholes and who knows what else that you think nothing of it. Can't think of any other scenario that would create what you have twice in a month. Just my 2c.for what they're worth.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Did you buy the car used? Maybe previous owner had a shoddy repair job done and you're seeing the evidence of it now. A good alloy wheel repair shop should be able to tell you if repairs had previously been done.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

What tire pressure are you running? What size are the front tires? I'd get tires that have the rim saver protrusion that goes past the wheel face to help protect them.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:08 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you still under warranty? If so, I would go to the dealer immediately and ask for replacement wheels. Those appear to be unsafe if they distorted that easily. I would have both front and back wheels inspected. Check with Porsche CNA. If not under warranty, I would suggest having a wheel repair expert inspect them.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If you need a replacement set of wheels, I'm selling my RS Spyder's over in the classified section.

RS Spyder wheels for sale
Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks to me like the tires do have the rim saver protrusions that stick out?

Based upon one picture, it doesnt look like curb damage to me? I've curb rashed wheels before, they always look chewed up unless you were to hit it somehow perfectly at a 90 degree angle to the rim.... which seems unlikely in this circumstance/area.
This looks droopy, like poor forming or somehow the rim melted.....
Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
If you need a replacement set of wheels, I'm selling my RS Spyder's over in the classified section.

RS Spyder wheels for sale
Let me know how your sale goes if you don't mind? I've got a set to sell as well that have been sitting in my garage for 2 years now.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My opinion is that one of two things are going on. 1) the damage was pre existing and you didn't notice it. Or 2) you hit some big potholes and didn't notice or are hoping that the potholes were smaller than they were. Wishful thinking is a powerful tool, I engage in it often.

Tough to tell on the pictures but is there evidence of a prior repair? That said, I'd expect a prior repair to crack before it would deform...

Quick Reply: 19" RS Spyder Centerlock Wheel Damage