Sponsored by:

'09 997.2 C4S Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Chicane5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 997.2 C4S Buying Advice

I'm a new member on here, would love to get some opinions on a 2009 C4S PDK Cab, optioned with Sport Chrono with 54k miles currently on the clock - asking at around the $52k mark.

Im based in LA, this car is across the country and I can't get over to see it easily. Previously I have bought directly from an OPC - it was back in the UK with a CPO Boxster S which I could test and see in person so had relative peace of mind.

There are a few things making me nervous this time:

1. Its too old to be a CPO - the carfax seems sketchy in terms of servicing intervals https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=DON_0

2. Being from the UK having never bought a used car here - the dealer is telling me that the carfax wouldn't necessarily reflect every single service in the car's history.

3. Fine - I can buy that, but when I asked for a copy of the log book to check all the stamps, I was told "This is another area people in the US could improve in. Most customers don't have the maintenance books stamped when they do service." Is that true?? Attached are the only stamps I was told are in the logbook.

4. Its up as a C4S but doing a VIN decode lookup says otherwise: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...CB29919S756412 ...Is that just an anomaly?

Appreciate any guidance before pulling the trigger on this! Thanks!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

VIN Analytics indicates a C4S. CarFAX is pretty limited when it comes to maintenance records. An independent shop might not report. I've gotten my book stamped once. Felt like a tool. I keep the receipts anyway.

Dealer pics shows C4S badges.

Last edited by Hula; 10-12-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added Dealer Pics.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Correct that the Carfax is sketchy and incomplete in general and that no one that I know of ever has the maintenance book stamped. Maybe it’s done in the UK but not here. I and most just keep an original of the service invoice which is much more detailed.

Looks like a C2S car. Do you have photos of the car that shows the rear badging? Or a copy of the window sticker or COA?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Price seems good
Get a PPI
My dealer never stamps my book, and I have never bought a used car where the services were stamped and documented in the maintenance log
Porsche only CPO's 8 years and younger. You can get an aftermarket warranty for $4-5,000.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Price seems good
Get a PPI
My dealer never stamps my book, and I have never bought a used car where the services were stamped and documented in the maintenance log
Porsche only CPO's 8 years and younger. You can get an aftermarket warranty for $4-5,000.
What he said. Nothing I see would prevent me from moving forward.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I just paid 58k for a very similarly optioned 2010 Targa C4S with 33k miles. I think a Cabriolet with 54k miles going into the winter is probably priced high or maybe just right at 52k?

With mine, I am in the same boat as you - poor service records. If you cant find records I would plan on spark plugs, brake fluid, serpentine belt, PDK and AWD controller fluid changes. (belt, PDK and AWD controller are 6 year services according to Porsche)

If you call your local Porsche dealer they can look in their system by VIN to see if any maintenance has been logged. Mine local dealer did this for me in my purchase. A word of warning.... apparently Porsche doesn't sync the dealer history? My local dealer had two service records from 2012/2013 but Carfax listed Porsche dealer service in 2014-2017. I called the dealers listed in Carfax and they did have service records my local dealer apparently couldn't see.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Agree with the consensus here. Carfax is spotty at best. They miss major collision repairs sometimes so never mind maintenance records. I do have my book stamped (when I remember to ask for it) but the service adviser acts like I'm about the only one asking to have it done. Just me but I wouldn't worry about the items you mention as long as the car checks out by a reputable third party PPI inspection.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Just beware of first gen PDK. They are not as smooth and a hit or miss in terms of reliability.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

go to a dealer and have them look up the service history
Old 10-14-2018, 01:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Just beware of first gen PDK. They are not as smooth and a hit or miss in terms of reliability.
I don't know how common outright failures are on first gen. PDK but as I've documented here many times, mine failed on the -09 C4S. Tab came in at $14K but covered by extended warranty. As for the smoothness, I may be in the minority here but I liked the crisp, snappy shifts on the early PDK's. The replacement PDK I got for the -09 C4S was an "updated" version and I hated it. Best way to describe the difference is that sport plus mode on the updated version felt like sport mode on the older version. Slower and lazier which I guess equals smoother to some. What I never understood is why the PDK on my current GTS behaves just like the original one that failed on the 2 year older C4S.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I just paid 58k for a very similarly optioned 2010 Targa C4S with 33k miles. I think a Cabriolet with 54k miles going into the winter is probably priced high or maybe just right at 52k?
Just wanted to chime in to say you did VERY well on the price of your T4S! Would love to see pics.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default '09 997.2 C4S Buying Advice

In 2016 I bought my '09 C4S with 74,725 miles on it. I paid $45,050 after getting a PPI at another Porsche dealership for $350 which was deducted from my purchase price by the seller when I completed the purchase. My car was MSRP $125,425 and pretty well optioned. including the following: PDK, self dimming mirrors, heated AND ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel,colored crest wheel caps, dynamic cornering lights, bluetooth phone interface, sport chrono package plus, nav module for PCM, Bose high end sound package, XM radio, floor mats in interior color, multifunction steering wheel-leather-PDK, universal audio interface, stone grey full leather interior, power comford seats with driver memory, cabriolet roof in stone grey, Arctic silver metallic, Porsche crest in headrests. Car also came with removable hardtop in arctic silver which is another $2500 option. Having said that I believe the car you are looking at is considerably overpriced .
Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
In 2016 I bought my '09 C4S with 74,725 miles on it. I paid $45,050 after getting a PPI at another Porsche dealership for $350 which was deducted from my purchase price by the seller when I completed the purchase. My car was MSRP $125,425 and pretty well optioned. including the following: PDK, self dimming mirrors, heated AND ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel,colored crest wheel caps, dynamic cornering lights, bluetooth phone interface, sport chrono package plus, nav module for PCM, Bose high end sound package, XM radio, floor mats in interior color, multifunction steering wheel-leather-PDK, universal audio interface, stone grey full leather interior, power comford seats with driver memory, cabriolet roof in stone grey, Arctic silver metallic, Porsche crest in headrests. Car also came with removable hardtop in arctic silver which is another $2500 option. Having said that I believe the car you are looking at is considerably overpriced .
I disagree. Your car has 1/3 more miles. If he gets it for $5-7k more than you, I consider that a win. I realize I put a premium on my low-mileage car, but 1yr ago I bought a ‘10 C4S manual/coupe ($110k msrp) with 14k miles for $65. If anybody overpaid, it’s likely me. I think the OP could do well and scoop up a rare spec. That’s not to say you did not do OK at $45k but some people will not consider cars with that kind of mileage. Myself included.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:46 AM
niacin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carfax doesn't understand how to map 911 VIN's to drive systems. Best way to check is to get the dealer to send you a picture of the frunk - 4 and 4S have a box of electronics mounted in the frunk on the passenger side forward of the rear bulkhead. In a RWD, this stuff fits behind the bulkhead, as there isn't a drive axle taking up all the room. See https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-my-frunk.html.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
go to a dealer and have them look up the service history
Unfortunately Porsche does not have a central data base for service history. so a dealer willl only be able to report on service they performed and possibly any national TSB's/recalls, etc.

Quick Reply: '09 997.2 C4S Buying Advice