Sponsored by:

One year update of my 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 AM
AJL911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One year update of my 997.1

After 1 year and 3 months of ownership, I could not be any happier with the car - especially since I brought the car to Miami with me where it feels more at home. My 997 is a '06 C2 (manual) with 37,000 miles on it (bought it with ~27,000 miles), and it drives better than ever since the previous owner did not drive the car much and had it sitting in a museum for a while (CCS Motors - LI, New York). Since the purchase of the car, first done was having Xpel put on the front half of the car with ceramic applied on top of the Xpel and around the entire vehicle (even calipers, wheels, headlamps, windshield, etc.). The car looks brand new and the paint protection (both Xpel and ceramic) gives me some piece of mind when it comes to preserving the paintwork. Beyond the exterior, I recently had a major service done and decided to fit Tubi mufflers (with quad tips) on the car while the car was in the shop and the sound is absolutely incredible - exactly what I was going for. While minor, after fitting the quad tips on, I installed a 911 badge as I felt the car had a cleaner look that way. I still have the OEM 18 inch wheels which I don't mind, but instead of 265's in the rear, I fit 285's and I much prefer the feel of the wider rear tires. Currently waiting on a Fabspeed CAI (silicone hose and resonator cap), which I know will do nothing performance wise, but I'm hoping for a bit more induction noise to top off the glorious sound of the Tubi mufflers. Attached are some photos of the car here in Miami

Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that colour !
looks so good.
the plain 911 badge is also really cool
Old 10-14-2018, 09:11 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Your paint looks amazing!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Very nice. Blocking off that Helmholz resonator in the airbox will also get rid of that lag that happens around 3,500 RPM. You may not even know its happening yet, but will likely notice once it's gone.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes great looking car. If it is not already lowered, i would recommend doing so with Eibachs - just did mine and it sharpens the car up looks, handling wise and the ride seems tighter / more composed. I however like the Carrera badge as it is just a sexier name to me, plus the connotation of "911" ever since ... but thats just me and no one really asked my opinion.

Petza - what is this "helmholz" blocking you mention - is this applicable to a stock 3.6? I do notice the "lag" to a degree as you mention.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty

Petza - what is this "helmholz" blocking you mention - is this applicable to a stock 3.6? I do notice the "lag" to a degree as you mention.
If you look at the rubber boot that connects your throttle body to the airbox, you have the primary large hose and then this offshoot hose that connects to a separate chamber on the airbox. The Fabspeed kit the OP is referring to replace the OEM hose with a single one and includes a block off for this port on the airbox, but you font need to spend $200 on that. You can use a cap from an oil bottle to block off that opening (think its a Mobil 1 sized cap that is the right fit, but search for it) then put the stock hose back on with a clamp around it and the clamp will keep the cap in place and everything g will still appear stock. I don't know if the non-S airboxes have this in them or not. If you post a pic of your airbox, I can let you know. An aftermarket intake (like Evoms) completely eliminates it.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM
AJL911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sporty
Yes great looking car. If it is not already lowered, i would recommend doing so with Eibachs - just did mine and it sharpens the car up looks, handling wise and the ride seems tighter / more composed. I however like the Carrera badge as it is just a sexier name to me, plus the connotation of "911" ever since ... but thats just me and no one really asked my opinion.

I believe on the 3.6, the helmholtz resonator is glued in place unlike on the 3.8 (which can be removed from the airbox altogether). Capping the resonator on the 3.6 should add a bit more noise, especially at lower RPM's which is perfect for me because the Tubi exhaust takes over from 4000rpm on. Do not expect any more power from this simple mod, only noise and hopefully the elimination of that lag Petza is talking about. Hope this helps.

Last edited by AJL911; 10-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:32 PM
AJL911
Track Day

Thank you everyone who commented, I'm very proud to have kept this car in this shape after 10,000 miles of daily driving up in Boston and now down here in Miami. That being said, the car definitely feels more at home down here and I feel like there isn't the same amount of sediment (and salt during the winter) on the roads like in NY or MA so the paint should hold up well.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:16 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, keep enjoying!

Quick Reply: One year update of my 997.1