Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fix a cracked dashboard on a 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 290 Posts

993/964/SC dashes are NOT leather. This is patently wrong- unless your car has been equipped with leather from the factory.

These are plastic dashes and can be very easily repaired:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...thank-you.html

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Hmmm ---->What Porsche world do you live in??
993/964/911sc dash's are leather - Not a plastic shell that can be scuffed up - At least every 993/964 & 911sc I've owned had a leather dash, and I've owned many

...And suggesting one can remove/recover/re-install dash by themselves with no experience in an afternoon?? Now that is questionable for sure

**My advise would be to have the dash re-covered by a company like this for about $700 after removing it:
http://car-bone.pl/shop/dashboard-restoration/
Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

^^^- Like I said, every 911SC, 964 and 993 I have owned has had a leather on dash not plastic - I've never seen one with a plastic dash - I've probably owned 10 SC's, 2 964's and 3 993's over the past 25 years and never had a plastic dash.
If you claim there are hard plastic dash's in 911's, I'd love to see some photos - I've never heard of one?

I do understand if you remove the leather or material covering the dash you are left with a hard molded piece that can be recovered - They also make cheap ugly plastic "covers" that are sold by Porsche part suppliers that are sort of a "cap" to go over the cracked leather dash - They also make ugly carpet covers which you see covering the very large 928 dash's somethimes due to the cost/labor removing/replacing them

The leather Dash's in my cars have never had splits or cracks but a couple of 911SC's I owned had warpage near windshield due to hot California climate
There was a 1978 911SC (silver/black) on BAT auction last week that had crack in Leather dash - Not plastic
Old 10-13-2018, 01:51 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you guys are both right/wrong.
The dash cores are obviously composite material that can indeed be filled, sanded, etc., but the coverings from the factory were either leather or vinyl. Same as today's cars..

Cracks are very common on these older cars - as proven by all the articles and businesses dedicated to their repair.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
I think you guys are both right/wrong.
The dash cores are obviously composite material that can indeed be filled, sanded, etc., but the coverings from the factory were either leather or vinyl. Same as today's cars..

Cracks are very common on these older cars - as proven by all the articles and businesses dedicated to their repair.
Yes - I always assumed they were leather or some type of leatherette covering - But not plastic
Perhaps "HEXAGONE" is referring to what is remaining of the dash after removing leather or leatherette material which would be the hard plastic/composite material - And I can certainly understand wrapping that with leather as long as it has some sort of foam underlayment so it is smooth as leather shows every litttle bump when u have a large surface area like a dash directly in front of your eyes.
I still believe it would be a much bigger job that tackling the entire/removal/covering/re-install in an afternoon??
But I have no experience doing it so what the hell do I know

Quick Reply: How do you fix a cracked dashboard on a 964