Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Sport Chrono be added

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:38 PM
boredmeeting
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished the addition of SC package on my 2009 997.2 PDK (no PASM). As described above, no clock was added. It is just the new button. Night and day difference in terms of driving. I also recently added sharkwerks bypass and fister exhaust upgrade. The whole combo makes for an incredibly different feeling and much better sound compared to when I got it. Totally worth it IMO.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by boredmeeting; 10-06-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a 2009 C2S PDK as well. I was advised that with the full FabSpeed intake, exhaust, ECU upgrade and a custom tune that I wouldn't really need the SC package. Doesn't the PC package invite more wear and tear on the PDK?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I actually don't like the throttle mapping with Sport Chrono, which is in my wife's far. Its too twitchy and makes the throttle more difficult to modulate well - kind of like a Sprint Booster. If you had a PDK car, then SC would be a must for tge alternate shifting g map, but in your case it's not worth adding. Vs your initial desired options list, you lucked into a better looking dash without the wart. Also cars with SC and also PSE have a way to engage sport mode (which stiffens the suspension and puts the exhaust into Sport mode) and then hit the PASM button to put the suspension back in normal mode, but no way to separately quiet the exhaust. Sport mode exhaust in sport - normal mode exhaust in normal.

My car does not have SC but does have PSE so I have individual buttons for both the PSE and tge PASM, which is ideal.

Skip the SC upgrade and do an exhaust. Mine is a Fabspeed, which I love, but there are lots of good choices out there, each with their own unique sound.
You would not recommend the Sport Mode upgrade from Sun Coast? I understand this to be different than SC? No? One in the same? I thought Sport Mode would just allow you to hold the rpms at a higher level as to stay in the power band?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by repguyMN
You would not recommend the Sport Mode upgrade from Sun Coast? I understand this to be different than SC? No? One in the same? I thought Sport Mode would just allow you to hold the rpms at a higher level as to stay in the power band?
Pretty sure the sport mode upgrade from Suncoast is the same as the SC package from Porsche less the lap timer on the dash - this is very different than an X51 power kit so don't get those confused. With a PDK car its definitely worth it. With a MT car, I actually don't like it. With a Tip car I have no idea what it does, but would probably be a welcome addition to try and sport up the Tip driving experience
Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Pretty sure the sport mode upgrade from Suncoast is the same as the SC package from Porsche less the lap timer on the dash - this is very different than an X51 power kit so don't get those confused. With a PDK car its definitely worth it. With a MT car, I actually don't like it. With a Tip car I have no idea what it does, but would probably be a welcome addition to try and sport up the Tip driving experience
Thanks for the clarification Petza!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:04 PM
repguyMN
Racer

has anyone added short shift kit? I drove a C2S with it and it was fun. Thinking that might be a future mod.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

has anyone added short shift kit? I drove a C2S with it and it was fun. Thinking that might be a future mod.
I had the factory short shift kit on my 997.1 Turbo. It was fantastic.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

You can find out what this does for you by reading this:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html
Old 10-07-2018, 02:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I have a 2009 C2S PDK as well. I was advised that with the full FabSpeed intake, exhaust, ECU upgrade and a custom tune that I wouldn't really need the SC package. Doesn't the PC package invite more wear and tear on the PDK?
Weird and bad advice imo. The intake, exhaust and ECU upgrades are totally unrelated to the performance of the PDK. I agree with those who go as far as to say the PDK should not be sold without SC. Without it it's sluggish, shifts like some kind of American automatic sedan from the 70's and sure as hell doesn't match the rest of the car's performance. As for more wear and tear, more than likely a non issue. It speeds up the shifts (dramatically especially in sport plus mode) but since the next gear has already been engaged and you're only switching from one clutch to another it's a software issue rather than a mechanical issue so I don't see where any additional wear and tear would come from. Get the SC software to compliment your PDK. If you don't you deprive yourself of a lot of what your car has to offer. It's only about $1,100 if I'm not mistaken. Transforms the car.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:09 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Mine is a MT so from what I gather not a great mod. Thanks for all the great comments! It helps a "new to 997" driver!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:46 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997.2 with a manual. I heel and toe and/or rev match for just about every downshift I do. I find that without the sport button pushed, performing those tasks is quite difficult. I immediately notice it when I forget to push the button.

I know I'm an odd man out around here, but if you have a similar driving style as mine, I highly recommend it. I know I wouldn't buy a 911 without it.

Edit: BTW, I couldn't care less about the clock/timer on the dash. In real world use, it doesn't even match the rest of the dash fonts or even lighting at night. It's goofy and cheap, IMO.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
I have a 997.2 with a manual. I heel and toe and/or rev match for just about every downshift I do. I find that without the sport button pushed, performing those tasks is quite difficult. I immediately notice it when I forget to push the button.

I know I'm an odd man out around here, but if you have a similar driving style as mine, I highly recommend it. I know I wouldn't buy a 911 without it.

Edit: BTW, I couldn't care less about the clock/timer on the dash. In real world use, it doesn't even match the rest of the dash fonts or even lighting at night. It's goofy and cheap, IMO.
I agree, part of why I chose the car I did is that it didn't have the clock. I enjoy the cleaner look. I will have to see if someone in the local club has Sport Mode on a 997 that I can check out before doing the upgrade. Thanks for the insight!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

My (hopefully) to-be 997.2 C2S is sans-SC, but I plan to get the software added ASAP, and not add the wart on the dash. Then probably looking at adding PSE or the full SharkWerks exhaust next year.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

I am having the local dealer add Sport Mode to my 997.2 C2S. I wish the car had come with it from the factory.

Last edited by ilovemaui; 05-03-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask how much they are charging you for this? I'd like to get this done at the dealer soon too. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can Sport Chrono be added