Can Sport Chrono be added

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Sport Chrono be added

Good afternoon and Happy Friday to all!
I picked up a 2007 C4S that does not have much in the way of options. It was too good a deal to pass up and it was local. Options I wanted were PSE with Sport Chrono Plus second. I have read the PSE can be added(for a price!) but curious about the SC+? I know the dash cover at a minimum but what about the rest? Dumb question???
Thanks
Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Yes it can be added, but you won’t get the dashboard clock.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Why no clock?
Is adding it expensive and difficult?
Thanks Dennis
Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It is not really a clock, it is mostly a stopwatch. I have it on my 2012 911 and for me it is mostly decorative since I never use it.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by NC3Pedal
It is not really a clock, it is mostly a stopwatch. I have it on my 2012 911 and for me it is mostly decorative since I never use it.
so the clock does not need to be there to have SC? So can Sport Mode be added? Has anyone done it?
Thanks NC3Pedal!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by repguyMN
Why no clock?
Is adding it expensive and difficult?
Thanks Dennis
Probably both reasons. It's not offered in the package. A chronograph would require replacement of that dash panel and some wiring. It's functionality is also dubious. In the 991 it also has a clock function but the 997 it's just a stopwatch. The Sport Chrono functionality will be added to the PCM as well as the addition of the sport button.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by Hula
Probably both reasons. It's not offered in the package. A chronograph would require replacement of that dash panel and some wiring. It's functionality is also dubious. In the 991 it also has a clock function but the 997 it's just a stopwatch. The Sport Chrono functionality will be added to the PCM as well as the addition of the sport button.
A little research and I found this from Sun Coast.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html
From what I read this is what I am after? Has anyone purchased and installed this? Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Unless you have PDK (which would then give you launch control), which you would not have in an '07, spending the money on the package won't get you much. The other function of SC is to provide a firmer setting for PASM, but since you have a base model, I presume you don't have PASM. You have a sport button already which alters the throttle programming,so I don't think SC will give you anything. I would spend my money on an exhaust since that will be something that will give you great pleasure every day.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Unless you have PDK (which would then give you launch control), which you would not have in an '07, spending the money on the package won't get you much. The other function of SC is to provide a firmer setting for PASM, but since you have a base model, I presume you don't have PASM. You have a sport button already which alters the throttle programming,so I don't think SC will give you anything. I would spend my money on an exhaust since that will be something that will give you great pleasure every day.
Mine has PASM but no Sport Mode or SC. I think all 997.1 S models had PASM as standard? I could be wrong. So I am wanting to add SM at some point but exhaust is first.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

True. It's a proper clock on my 991. I was just using the word clock as a general descriptor instead of "wart" as I often see.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:28 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

You are right about the S. I thought it might have been a base model which does not have PASM. Enjoy the car!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 PM
repguyMN
Racer

You are right about the S. I thought it might have been a base model which does not have PASM. Enjoy the car!
Thanks! I do enjoy the car. I sold my 964 C2 with manual steering and compared to that this one is a joy in all areas! I do miss the road feel of the C2 but at 57 both my wife and I can drive all day in the C4S! Awesome car!!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Happy to hear that. One last thought on the exhaust being the better spend. I have a 2012 997.2 GTS with the 6 speed so my typical set up is to run on Sport Mode which activates PSE and PASM. However, I de select PASM so shocks remainf on normal mode. Sport Mode on the shocks is way too stiff and I only use that on extremely smooth roads. BTW, I'm 67 and have a blast driving my GTS everyday (it is my 4th Porsche)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Happy to hear that. One last thought on the exhaust being the better spend. I have a 2012 997.2 GTS with the 6 speed so my typical set up is to run on Sport Mode which activates PSE and PASM. However, I de select PASM so shocks remainf on normal mode. Sport Mode on the shocks is way too stiff and I only use that on extremely smooth roads. BTW, I'm 67 and have a blast driving my GTS everyday (it is my 4th Porsche)
you are now my official Porsche hero I would love a GTS! Some day!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

I actually don't like the throttle mapping with Sport Chrono, which is in my wife's far. Its too twitchy and makes the throttle more difficult to modulate well - kind of like a Sprint Booster. If you had a PDK car, then SC would be a must for tge alternate shifting g map, but in your case it's not worth adding. Vs your initial desired options list, you lucked into a better looking dash without the wart. Also cars with SC and also PSE have a way to engage sport mode (which stiffens the suspension and puts the exhaust into Sport mode) and then hit the PASM button to put the suspension back in normal mode, but no way to separately quiet the exhaust. Sport mode exhaust in sport - normal mode exhaust in normal.

My car does not have SC but does have PSE so I have individual buttons for both the PSE and tge PASM, which is ideal.

Skip the SC upgrade and do an exhaust. Mine is a Fabspeed, which I love, but there are lots of good choices out there, each with their own unique sound.

Quick Reply: Can Sport Chrono be added