Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather / Full-Leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Here we go. Some people could care less about the interior materials. For others, it bothers them not to have full leather on a $100k vehicle. The stitching across the full leather dash does look nice IMO.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:41 AM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Full leather was a must-have for me. Changes the entire car IMO. Every single person who has been in the car so far has commented on how nice it looks.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:47 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

The full leather really adds a nice detail touch to the interior. The leather with the contrast stitching really stands out.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Did we ever find out the weight difference between the two?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
If you just have leather seats, then your body oils will help keep that surface in shape.
This is why i ALWAYS drive completely naked in my full leather car - top down of course
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
This is why i ALWAYS drive completely naked in my full leather car - top down of course
oh yeah! can't beat bare skin and leather!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

**slowly backs out of thread**
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 10-06-2018, 01:46 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I don’t think full leather is mandatory. That said I think it’s the best option on say any S model. It’s easily better than bose and chrono. As others have said, it is only surprising that Porsche doesn’t offer it as standard on a 100k car if you forget they know how to extract money from your pocket book quite easily. Hey only $500 bucks to wrap leather on the inner steering cover on the 991.

If if I kept my 997 for a very long tine (thinking of selling) I’d put in a leather dash and console via leather 9.

I have full leather on my 991 and love it.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 10-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Full leather is a "nice" option - I don't shop for full leather - If it happens to be on a P-car with right ext/int color and great service history/PPI fine - If not no biggie.
Ext/int/color and PPI rules my decision making
Old 10-06-2018, 03:47 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Vern. That and the 4L engine will be great selling points. Should you ever be inclined.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:51 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Yes. And because true aniline leather is rarely used outside of very expensive furniture, I made the assumption that I could leave off the "semi" and people would know what I meant. Of course, I forgot that porschephiles are a more **** lot than your average bear. Thank you for the correction.
You let cammer get you twice in one thread. Get it together.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:27 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan

Vern. That and the 4L engine will be great selling points. Should you ever be inclined.
You'll be the 1st to know
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 PM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the full leather on my 2012 911 GTS Coupe. Of course with full alcantara package (I don't know why so many GTS owners choose alcantara delete because it doesn't seem to pill at all compared to older Audi alcantara seats), I don't get the armrests/storage bin compartment and door pulls in leather. Personally, I don't think I would get it if I bought the car new (original sticker was almost $130K in 2011!) but it is a nice touch.

I do notice that the leather on the airbag cover has some wrinkle type blemishes in it. I don't think it is sun damage, but it looks like the airbag cover was not cut from the same piece of leather. Another thing to consider is that if your passenger side airbag goes off, you are looking to replace the entire leather dash as I am not sure if they would stitch on a new airbag cover.

The good part is unlike Ferrari, the leather stops before it gets to the defroster vents. I have seen too many ferraris that have been parked in the sun that have the leather at the very edge of the dash where it meets the windshield bubble up, shrink, and displace the defroster vents. Of course, Porsche will sell you that it leather too from what I recall if you have to keep up with the ferrari guys.

Don't recall if full leather also gets you the glovebox and knee bolster under the steering wheel, but I am glad that I didn't get an alcantara delete car because that piece and the glovebox are around $3-$4K in alcantara if I recall at suncoast porsche.

One comment I have to make is I am in awe at how porsche makes money off of neurotic perfectionist type people. I got the black interior specifically because otherwise, I would have to get the matching leather fuse box cover, steering wheel column, inner door sills, and map light surround! Even if I pay exclusive option to do it, it would still cost a fortune, let alone buying from Porsche! Otherwise, it just looks funny and low rent to me.

Back to the full leather, make sure you put on lots of high quality leather conditioner and keep the car out of the sun for prolonged periods of time. High quality solar energy/UV rejecting tint and a sunshade are a must.IMO.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:09 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Finally got my leather center console after 6 years

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i

The console extension looks great too

All done. The driver side had no problem with the switches.

I have full-leather option in my C4S. I like it so much that I've added the door-pull frame, shifter bezel, and rear view mirror triangle to complement the rest. I am also looking fro a center console in leather to complete my interior.

When I bought my car 4 years ago, I was deciding on 2 almost identical specced cars. The only difference was the one had full leather but no sport exhaust, and the other had no full leather but with the sport exhaust option. I test drove both and went with the full leather optioned car. It is that much nicer in my opinion vs non-leather one.

I am planning to get the full leather, plus more bits from the "exclusive" option list on my next new 911.
I am resurrecting this thread because I have finally found the missing trophy leather console, after actively looking for it for over 6 years. Call me superficial, but finding this piece ranks at the top of my wish list for my car. I am super, super happy about it.

You may notice that the rectangular passenger airbag light located above the ashtray is missing. This is because the console was shipped from Europe, from an 08 Turbo, and they don't require the passenger seat air bag light. I had to reused the wire loom and the light from my original console, and taped the rectangular airbag light underneath the console. Without doing this, it will trigger the air bag warning light at the dash. I also had to transplant the auxiliary audio and the USB input panel over from the old console, but it was well worth the effort.

After the installation of my leather console, my OEM SSK and the phenix metal bushings decided to show up. I'll put those in later when the novelty of my leather console wears off a bit.

The Console came with debossed Porsche logo on the leather armrest cover. I am not sure if it is OEM as the orientation seems reversed. But the leather is high quality in feel, the color matches, and the debossing is clear and sharp.

The final leather piece I've been searching for is finally here.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 06-30-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:02 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Looks very nice. Glad your patience paid off finally.

Will be a great upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
speedracerf4i (06-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Leather / Full-Leather