Sponsored by:

Leather / Full-Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Correction, porsche natural leather is semi-aniline. fully aniline leather is not typically used in cars
Yes. And because true aniline leather is rarely used outside of very expensive furniture, I made the assumption that I could leave off the "semi" and people would know what I meant. Of course, I forgot that porschephiles are a more **** lot than your average bear. Thank you for the correction.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Good points. Its quite subjective, and folks end up feeling strongly about things which may not be that much of a difference one way or the other. I'm convinced its almost 100% dependent on what they have paid for. If you bought it this way or upgraded to it there is an incessant need to defend how you've spent money. Just what I've observed with car enthusiasts in general.

I have one porsche sports car with full leather, and one without.. and I don't care in the slightest about that. I'm in these cars for the drive, not for the dash stroking.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

^^^ I totally agree - with me, exterior color and interior color are more important qualities. Good service history/good PPI results top them all.(Well maybe adaptive sport seats and PSE too)
If I had 2 identical examples and one had the full leather I'd go for that car but full leather not something I specifically look for.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 PM
jamiepstewart
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 958 Cayenne GTS and 997 4S, both in full leather... Once you go full-leather, you never go back. If you find a great car without it and won't know the difference, buy for the quality of the car. However, if you do buy one with full-leather, you will always appreciate and prefer having it.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:43 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not buy a 997/987 and up without full leather.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:59 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Having owned several full leather and standard leather cars, I highly prefer full leather interiors. Having said that, there are many other variables that are more important when you buy a used car, ie condition, mileage, color etc.

If ever have an opportunity to spec a new car, full leather is a must for me. It just gives the interior a rich, luxurious feel.

When I had a 996, the full leather option made the 996 interior (worst Porsche design ever) decent enough to live with on a daily basis.

You will have a higher chance of finding full leather on turbos and C4S models. Full leather is not common on base and S models
Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiepstewart
I have a 958 Cayenne GTS and 997 4S, both in full leather... Once you go full-leather, you never go back. If you find a great car without it and won't know the difference, buy for the quality of the car. However, if you do buy one with full-leather, you will always appreciate and prefer having it.
I went back from full to non-full leather with the GTS without a second thought. Probably because I still got leather where it matters (GT2 bucket seats and a custom steering wheel) and got a lot of other things I considered more important.

Originally Posted by agent325
Having owned several full leather and standard leather cars, I highly prefer full leather interiors. Having said that, there are many other variables that are more important when you buy a used car, ie condition, mileage, color etc.

If ever have an opportunity to spec a new car, full leather is a must for me. It just gives the interior a rich, luxurious feel.
Maybe that's why it's not that important to me. I never bought a 911 to get a "rich and luxurious feel" once seated in it. I want almost the opposite actually without sacrificing reasonable comfort for a daily driver. To each their own but sports car and "rich and luxurious" don't mix in my mind.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

I understand all Porsche's built after 2020 will offer only one optional interior "Full Muskrat" ......so this has been worthless discussion...
Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Just wear a leather suit
Old 10-02-2018, 09:40 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm swimming against the tide here, but I'm not really a fan of the leather interiors at all: in my view it has no place in a sports car, and just makes the 'sports seats' feel slippery. It marks and scratches too easily for a supposed hard wearing surface and I'd prefer a combination of alcantara seats and steering wheels and hard wearing/soft feel plastics elsewhere (as these are a lot easier to take care of).
Old 10-02-2018, 02:36 PM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
This. Full Leather and Natural Leather are not the same option. Full leather is the standard, coated leather, just applied to more surfaces. Natural leather is a completely different product. It is aniline leather with no coating. It is bare, with the dye applied directly to the surface of the leather, as opposed to standard, which is sprayed with color and essentially a plastic top-coat. As a result, natural leather is softer, more comfortable and smells better because it has open pores. The finish on natural leather has less sheen than standard leather. The drawback is that it is more susceptible to wear (especially buffing, where it becomes shiny due to repeated use) and very susceptible to staining, including water stains.

You can tell standard from natural on a 997 a few ways. Natural has a matte finish. Natural seats have more pillowy cushions, and the seat inserts are not pulled taut and smooth, they have more material. Natural is not available with ventilation, AFAIK.

The easiest way to tell if a car has full leather is to look in the back seat. In my experience, if the car has lower back bolsters between the folding seat back and the seat bottom, the car has full leather.

Porsche's standard leather doesn't seem any better than most other manufacturers' treated leather. The natural leather, on the other hand is a very nice product. My current car has natural leather and several people have commented on he different feel and look of the leather. I do have to be much more careful about it getting wet (my car is a cabrio) and I carry a towel in case I get caught in a sudden rain storm. I also don't EVER ride with a cold drink between my legs, as the condensation will stain the seat bottom.
I have natural brown leather with ventilated seats. And yes the "natural leather" is fantastic. The feeling of the steering wheel with natural leather is where you can really tell(feel) the difference between the two. I also find it does not stain and wears better because the die actually penetrates the leather a bit where the painted leather color is just on top. A scratch really shows up there.

As for my opinion, you spend all your time on the inside of the car, that's where I'd spend my money. But having said that, if it comes down to money, I'd take a Porsche without "full leather" than no Porsche at all (first one I had didn't and I was perfectly happy with it).
Old 10-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

the 997 is not a sports car, so the leather works just fine.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by halsyknox
I have natural brown leather with ventilated seats.
Not doubting you, but I think we're mixing terms again. "Natural brown" is an upholstery color on the 997, and does not mean that the car has the "natural leather" option.

I have seen a car optioned with "Natural Cocoa Leather" and "Seat Ventilation", but I don't know if the natural in the Cocoa option means the leather is semi-aniline or it's just part of the color's name, like "Natural Brown". The former owner is a forum member, maybe he can chime in ( https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-for-sale.html ).

Natural leather upholstery is (I believe) option code 998 and is described as "Natural leather (protectively through-dyed maintaining the natural characteristics)"

Last edited by Iceter; 10-02-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

natural brown is a natural leather option code.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by halsyknox
I have natural brown leather with ventilated seats.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
natural brown is a natural leather option code.
Indeed. Just realized when I said natural precludes ventilation, I was the one mixing terms, not anyone else. The "special" leather option eliminates ventilation, not the "natural" option. Mea culpa.

Quick Reply: Leather / Full-Leather