Sponsored by:

When is enough enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When is enough enough?

In May, I paid cash for a C4S and shortly after my financial situation changed and I've been considering other options. The most reasonable of those options is probably a 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S. The thing is and I keep noticing this, my 52" shoulders has my left shoulder against the door most of the time I am driving. My 1966 Porsche had more room the way I recall it (as did my 928). So a part of me leans towards a 991 but have yet to test one out.

The other thing is I think I want something more racier and was sparked the other day by Doug Demuro's purchase of a Ford GT (2005-2006). $230-250k is doable for me but my wife will resent me most of the time I own the car. I get one garage spot and there's no hope in changing that so if I am going to have one car why not something extraordinary? Doug D has driven practically every super car and car of note over the last few years and if he has highest praise for a Ford GT then there must be something to them. But here's the thing, I start looking around at track records and the 2005-2006 GT is nowhere to be found. Not even in the pack of track times other than an impressive Texas mile record of 293 mph.

I'll never be a Corvette guy - they're impressive but I can't shake the gold chains and bathrobe imagery of owning one.

So I started thinking about the video that sold me on the C4S and Porsche's PSM - and how a PDK, PSM, all wheel drive will probably always be the right car for me. (Just hope my PSM never fritzes in the middle of a high speed turn.)

So the question is - when is enough enough? Overall the biggest bang for the buck and the quality and reliability I want is probably in a 2010-2015 Turbo or Turbo S with 5 bolt wheels, no roll cage (need to seat 3) and maybe PCCBs.

If you had a budget of $100-150k (the upper limit where my wife still talks to me) what would you get? She was pretty furious when I asked her to watch Doug's GT video.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Hehe.. 918 posts for OP!

If were going to move on from a 997.2 for 100-150k.. I'd buy a 991.1 GT3 or 991.2 Carrera T. Alternatively if its gotta be about speed... a 991.2 GTS. That GTS will hound a 997.2 Turbo for its lunch money, bone stock.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/skh04zknv6vo
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was spending $150k on any car id have to be a Gen 5 Viper ACR.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fined
Hehe.. 918 posts for OP!

If were going to move on from a 997.2 for 100-150k.. I'd buy a 991.1 GT3 or 991.2 Carrera T. Alternatively if its gotta be about speed... a 991.2 GTS. That GTS will hound a 997.2 Turbo for its lunch money, bone stock.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/skh04zknv6vo
Although money isn't an issue the depreciation curve is. I probably need to stick with something that won't cost more than $8000 annually to own and operate (all in). That seems to be the tolerance my wife has. No matter what, I need and want 3 seats (wife and son). I am too big to have any left behind me.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 997.2 TTS in July. I too have a single spot in the garage for "my" car, so I went through the same process of finding the "best" car for me. Here are the highlights that, for me, make it the perfect car:
* Excellent around-town car. When not in sport/sport-plus, the throttle is gentle, and the ride firm but not overly harsh. It is easy to get into and out of. It is not excessively loud; doesn't wake the neighbors.
* In the around town situation, it doesn't get a lot of attention. A lot of cars that would be similar performance will draw a crowd any time you park.
* Excellent on the road for highway driving.
* All wheel drive. I live in Colorado, and with winter tires, it will be fine to drive year round. (Snow clearance will be an issue for a few hours on each of a few days a year. But I can work from home when needed. )
* Excellent track performance. (I replaced the PCCB rotors with steel.)
* Reliable enough to drive every day.
* Much easier to work on than a 991 if you do any of your own maintenance. (Note that when you open the trunk of a 997, you see an engine. When you open the trunk of a 991, you see a couple of fluid caps; the bumper needs removed to get to the engine.)

My car did come with centerlocks. I went through 3 phases with those: ignorant. Then upset that I had them and the difficulty they created. Then I learned what I needed, bought appropriate tools, and I am now neutral on them. I've taken the wheels on/off several times now, and it is really no big deal. Some people make a big deal about them. The biggest mis-information is that you must get any wheel related service done at a Porsche dealer, because nobody else can deal with centerlocks. It turns out the only issue is that most independent shops do not have the torque wrench, and do not know the procedure for removal/installation. Once the wheel is off the car, they can replace tires, balance the wheel, etc. So if you carry your torque wrench with you, you can always remove/install yourself if you get a flat and need a new tire installed.

I really cannot imagine a better car for me, and I'm even happier with it than I thought I would be.

Last edited by paulfdunn; 09-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:34 PM
UFGator911
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
I'll never be a Corvette guy - they're impressive but I can't shake the gold chains and bathrobe imagery of owning one.
I could not agree more. IMHO the new body style is one of the best ever, it looks more like a super car than ever before, and performance numbers for the dollars are awesome. The interior STILL looks cheap, and then there is the stigma. I can't shake the last two.

As to your actual question... for me there is no such thing as enough. My bucket list and always looking for more/faster/better/etc is an itch I always end up scratching after a year or two. If I could buy the GT, and buy it right, I'd probably do it for a year or so then go back to something else. Great point on it not showing up in track numbers, but unless you track all the time and are looking to compete, who cares? I'd do it just to have it, to drive it, enjoy it, then find the next toy if or when I decided to. Track numbers are fun to look and talk about, but unless you are doing it mean nothing when it comes to actually owning it. IMHO.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

991.1 Turbo S!

They have taken a huge hit and will be much more comfortable for you than any other 911...and VERY fast. GL
Old 09-21-2018, 04:26 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

For 100-150K, it would be a 997.2 GT3 or GT3 RS.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want some comfort to go along with the speed, you could always get a V12 DB11...
But honestly I wouldn't recommend it as your only "nice" car.
Personally I always plan to have a Porsche - and if I could have just one, I think I might lean towards a GT3 touring. Would be very hard to give up the 997 though.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

If you need to seat 3 then you take a lot of nice cars out of the equation.

Time to move and get a bigger garage with the new found wealth (or maybe a lift).

For $150k, used gallardo or f430 manual or r8 or 570s or whatever. Seat 3? 50th anniversary 911. Has some rarity to it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

First of all if you have 52" shoulders, Ferrari will be tight fit - Height is issue also with Ferrari.
I have 54" shoulders and 6'1" and my 79 308 was an ok fit but not as comfy as Porsche and newer Ferrari's tight fit. Ferrari made for small guys with teeny tiny *****'s.
With $150K you'd be stupid to experience any depreciation so shop smart. Nothing wrong and everything right about used GT3.
Please don't be the stooge with more money than brains - Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by groovzilla
First of all if you have 52" shoulders, Ferrari will be tight fit - Height is issue also with Ferrari.
I have 54" shoulders and 6'1" and my 79 308 was an ok fit but not as comfy as Porsche and newer Ferrari's tight fit. Ferrari made for small guys with teeny tiny *****'s.
With $150K you'd be stupid to experience any depreciation so shop smart. Nothing wrong and everything right about used GT3.
Please don't be the stooge with more money than brains - Thanks
I have a bit of a theory in that everyone blows their first 'fortune'. Thankfully, this is my 2nd and I am much better steward. In part because I didn't really need the money this time. It's all just gravy. I'll probably stay in the Porsche family.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I
So the question is - when is enough enough?
When age forces you to give up manual transmission. Paddles are for canoes not Porsches.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I have a bit of a theory in that everyone blows their first 'fortune'. Thankfully, this is my 2nd and I am much better steward. In part because I didn't really need the money this time. It's all just gravy. I'll probably stay in the Porsche family.
I've always been a tight *** and hope to never lose my fortune - It's fairly protected however I could imagine going on a drinking binge and blowing a lot in Vegas someday for fun - It would be difficult because It took lots of time and patience to grow it -
I hate losing money on a car and I have always purchased with resale in mind - Usually I've come out on top just like with the wife.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

If you want a 911 but need a bigger car, that's probably the only argument that makes sense for moving from a 997 to something newer. They don't feel or drive the same, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of older cars. I honestly dread the day when I have to buy anything g newer than my 09 Cayenne, which is my newest car if the 6, except for maybe a newer pickup which is more a utility tool. That one will probably be a Roush Raptor or Velociraptor when the time comes.

If you can swing a 991 Turbo S, that sounds like it would tick all your boxes as far as a single, reliable, slightly larger, sporty, fun, fast, really good all around car.

Quick Reply: When is enough enough?