Sponsored by:

When is enough enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paulfdunn
I purchased a 997.2 TTS in July. I too have a single spot in the garage for "my" car, so I went through the same process of finding the "best" car for me. Here are the highlights that, for me, make it the perfect car:
* Excellent around-town car. When not in sport/sport-plus, the throttle is gentle, and the ride firm but not overly harsh. It is easy to get into and out of. It is not excessively loud; doesn't wake the neighbors.
* In the around town situation, it doesn't get a lot of attention. A lot of cars that would be similar performance will draw a crowd any time you park.
* Excellent on the road for highway driving.
* All wheel drive. I live in Colorado, and with winter tires, it will be fine to drive year round. (Snow clearance will be an issue for a few hours on each of a few days a year. But I can work from home when needed. )
* Excellent track performance. (I replaced the PCCB rotors with steel.)
* Reliable enough to drive every day.
* Much easier to work on than a 991 if you do any of your own maintenance. (Note that when you open the trunk of a 997, you see an engine. When you open the trunk of a 991, you see a couple of fluid caps; the bumper needs removed to get to the engine.)

My car did come with centerlocks. I went through 3 phases with those: ignorant. Then upset that I had them and the difficulty they created. Then I learned what I needed, bought appropriate tools, and I am now neutral on them. I've taken the wheels on/off several times now, and it is really no big deal. Some people make a big deal about them. The biggest mis-information is that you must get any wheel related service done at a Porsche dealer, because nobody else can deal with centerlocks. It turns out the only issue is that most independent shops do not have the torque wrench, and do not know the procedure for removal/installation. Once the wheel is off the car, they can replace tires, balance the wheel, etc. So if you carry your torque wrench with you, you can always remove/install yourself if you get a flat and need a new tire installed.

I really cannot imagine a better car for me, and I'm even happier with it than I thought I would be.
Why did you change the PCCBs out for steel ?

And do you prefer the centerlock to the 5 bolt or have just accepted it?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you want a 911 but need a bigger car, that's probably the only argument that makes sense for moving from a 997 to something newer. They don't feel or drive the same, but I prefer the feel and simplicity of older cars. I honestly dread the day when I have to buy anything g newer than my 09 Cayenne, which is my newest car if the 6, except for maybe a newer pickup which is more a utility tool. That one will probably be a Roush Raptor or Velociraptor when the time comes.

If you can swing a 991 Turbo S, that sounds like it would tick all your boxes as far as a single, reliable, slightly larger, sporty, fun, fast, really good all around car.
Pete - I am starting to feel guilty relying on you so much....

That said - should one put some Phil Wood grease on new lugbolts to ensure accurate torque settings?

And what's the sense in titanium lug bolts? On a bicycle I get it (sort of) but when a rear wheel and tire weighs 50-60lbs, the brake rotor, bearings and axles (all spinning parts) weigh IDK 30-40 lbs more - than what's the point of spending so much to save 1/2 of 1 percent weight?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,703 Likes on 4,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Why did you change the PCCBs out for steel ?

And do you prefer the centerlock to the 5 bolt or have just accepted it?
Track use will eat the PCCB rotors in a season or 2 and they're too expensive to replace unless you're sponsored.

Better to replace them with steel for track use and keep them fur street driving, where they're awesome and last forever.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:24 PM
E368
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I hate losing money on a car and I have always purchased with resale in mind - Usually I've come out on top just like with the wife.
You purchased your wife? Not judging either way!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by E368

You purchased your wife? Not judging either way!

Was meant as a joke - Coming on top of my wife - Get it?
...But since you mentioned it, the past 25 years probably would have been easier had I purchased my wife
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Get a Panamera Turbo S and call it a day.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I would go for a 997/991 GTS then. More power and nice chassis with the SPASM. Optimum mix of performance and practicality. Can seat 2-4 persons. Maybe a 991 due to interior size as you say. But a sports car will always be cramped and even more so if it has bucket seats which most of them in the 200000 price range has. But most GTS has sport seats and not bucket. A mix of a Carrera S and a GT3.

The targa GTS or the targa 4 GTS are absolute beauties.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Racetwin2; 09-24-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 991 is a great GT car for a 'gentlemen'. Best bang for your buck C7 Corvette Z06 or ZR1. The mid engine Vette will hit the car shows soon. And it will be amazing.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems to me that you should get a 991.1 Turbo. I think you might struggle with the GT as an only car. Jeremy Clarkson (a rude Englishman who used to frequent BBC TV) famously ran the GT but sold it after he struggled with the range: it couldn't make it from his home in the Cotswolds to the Top Gear circuit at Dunsfold in Surrey without filling up. A journey of maybe two hours and 100 miles... much of which is motorway.

I like the fact that when I got the 997, and I asked about the range, the racers all said "two hours".
Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I love the new Targa design - Looks a lot like the 308 Ferrari in the way the rear window angles up
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Or you could go retro and get a nice 930 with that budget. Nothing's guaranteed, but you likely wouldn't have to worry about any depreciation. The bonus is you wouldn't see 10 others on the Bush turnpike every day like you do with 991's. You'd need to get past the whole notion of needing an automatic transmission though....
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

For $250k, buy an airplane!

I love mine!!! Wife loves it too. We travel on our own schedule at 200kts.

There's sort of a convergence on cars where having a nicer one just runs out of steam, unless it is a race car for track use.

Quick Reply: When is enough enough?