I built a forum car search engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:21 PM
porsche959
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I built a forum car search engine

Hi all, so I wanted to share: hiddenrides.com

This is a project/hobby for me - mainly because I enjoy browsing various car forums to see what cars I can afford at any given time.

Shared this on a few other forums and got positive feedback so thought i'd spread the love.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:34 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Neat! This is a valuable resource. Very nice programming that populates cars across the various forums. Good job! Autotrader eat your heart out!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:38 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

This is very cool - I totally dig it. Thanks for creating a great resource! Another website that I can use to spend/waste time on during the work day!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:56 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2018, 09:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Very nice - Good tool!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Harry Hood
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karl1672
Very nice, thanks for sharing
+1
Old 08-26-2018, 11:26 PM
pdxa4
7th Gear

Nice job, thanks.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 AM
jschiller
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 PM
matt_337
Advanced

Thanks for creating this. It's awesome
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
porsche959
Intermediate

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys let me know if you would like to see additional features, other foums, etc
Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

@porsche959 - awesome job for a hobby project. Well done! Your site caused me to spend far too much time browsing for air cooled cars over the past 2 weeks. Love to chat with you more about it. Assuming you built crawler templates for each site?

Additional comments:

- Anyway to add PCA.org classifieds? Their UX is painful.
- Assuming craigslist wouldn't look kindly on a crawler? That would be very useful to pull in.
- great work on the email notification feature. simple and useful.
- I saw your post that 911s were the most heavily searched, followed by corvettes, etc. I think your audience is clearly enthusiasts so I would gear it that way.
- You could create predefined search facets for each model e.g. for 911's long hoods, g-bodies, 964, 993, 996, 997, etc. Likely the same for other brands.
- I think you should go beyond forums and pull in autotrader classics, etc. That would make this the one stop shop for enthusiasts. I hit 4-5 sites with varying regularity. Its a pain.
- I would love to have a site like this that has my saved searches listed as facets along the left menu. Each would have a notification next to it on the number of updates since my last visit. After you select the saved search in the left pane you scan hits in the right pane. Makes it fast to browse.
- As this is for enthusiasts you could think about creating an analytics overlay: distribution of prices, miles, colors, avg price by mileage, etc. This could be a premium feature you pay for.

Lots you can do with this so keep up the great work!

Last edited by TheBruce; 09-14-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@porsche959 - awesome job for a hobby project. Well done! Your site caused me to spend far too much time browsing for air cooled cars over the past 2 weeks. Love to chat with you more about it. Assuming you built crawler templates for each site?

Additional comments:

- Assuming craigslist wouldn't look kindly on a crawler? That would be very useful to pull in.
- I saw your post that 911s were the most heavily searched, followed by corvettes, etc. I think your audience is clearly enthusiasts so I would gear it that way.
- You could create predefined search facets for each model e.g. for 911's long hoods, g-bodies, 964, 993, 996, 997, etc. Likely the same for other brands.
- I think you should go beyond forums and pull in autotrader classics, etc. That would make this the one stop shop for enthusiasts. I hit 4-5 sites with varying regularity. Its a pain.
- I would love to have a site like this that has my saved searches listed as facets along the left menu. Each would have a notification next to it on the number of updates since my last visit. After you select the saved search in the left pane you scan hits in the right pane. Makes it fast to browse.
- As this is for enthusiasts you could think about creating an analytics overlay: distribution of prices, miles, colors, avg price by mileage, etc. This could be a premium feature you pay for.

All great ideas above... Plus...
  • I'd add Hemmings
  • A distance from location... Eg when I travel sometimes I see what might be near me
  • Need some of the other common attributes... Eg body style, color, Private seller vs dealer
Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 AM
porsche959
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheBruce

Additional comments:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

we recently added bmw club - I think Porsche club layout is similar. working on it. will look into Autotrader classics

craigslist is a scrape blocking god - at this point, barring the hire of a hacker or a genius, its impossible to reliably track craigslist posts unfortunately

data analysis is interesting (I had a similar idea myself - average listing price, etc - wasn't sure about demand though).

Old 09-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Very cool! I was just browsing through there and saw 911's that were long gone, (saw voodoo's 997 C2S as one example). I know there isn't much that you can do to that since the seller never updated their listing.

Quick Reply: I built a forum car search engine