Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   I built a forum car search engine (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1093465-i-built-a-forum-car-search-engine.html)

porsche959 08-26-2018 12:21 PM

I built a forum car search engine

Hi all, so I wanted to share: hiddenrides.com

This is a project/hobby for me - mainly because I enjoy browsing various car forums to see what cars I can afford at any given time.

Shared this on a few other forums and got positive feedback so thought i'd spread the love.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!

NuttyProfessor 08-26-2018 12:34 PM

Neat! This is a valuable resource. Very nice programming that populates cars across the various forums. Good job! Autotrader eat your heart out!

jeebus31 08-26-2018 12:38 PM

This is very cool - I totally dig it. Thanks for creating a great resource! Another website that I can use to spend/waste time on during the work day!

karl1672 08-26-2018 01:56 PM

Very nice, thanks for sharing

groovzilla 08-26-2018 09:39 PM

Very nice - Good tool!

Harry Hood 08-26-2018 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by karl1672 (Post 15244419)
Very nice, thanks for sharing

+1

pdxa4 08-26-2018 11:26 PM

Nice job, thanks.

jschiller 08-27-2018 12:18 AM

Nicely done!

matt_337 08-27-2018 08:25 PM

Thanks for creating this. It's awesome

porsche959 09-14-2018 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :) let me know if you would like to see additional features, other foums, etc

TheBruce 09-14-2018 06:44 PM

@porsche959 - awesome job for a hobby project. Well done! Your site caused me to spend far too much time browsing for air cooled cars over the past 2 weeks. Love to chat with you more about it. Assuming you built crawler templates for each site?

Additional comments:

- Anyway to add PCA.org classifieds? Their UX is painful.
- Assuming craigslist wouldn't look kindly on a crawler? That would be very useful to pull in.
- great work on the email notification feature. simple and useful.
- I saw your post that 911s were the most heavily searched, followed by corvettes, etc. I think your audience is clearly enthusiasts so I would gear it that way.
- You could create predefined search facets for each model e.g. for 911's long hoods, g-bodies, 964, 993, 996, 997, etc. Likely the same for other brands.
- I think you should go beyond forums and pull in autotrader classics, etc. That would make this the one stop shop for enthusiasts. I hit 4-5 sites with varying regularity. Its a pain.
- I would love to have a site like this that has my saved searches listed as facets along the left menu. Each would have a notification next to it on the number of updates since my last visit. After you select the saved search in the left pane you scan hits in the right pane. Makes it fast to browse.
- As this is for enthusiasts you could think about creating an analytics overlay: distribution of prices, miles, colors, avg price by mileage, etc. This could be a premium feature you pay for.

Lots you can do with this so keep up the great work!

GTSence 09-14-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheBruce (Post 15290788)
@porsche959 - awesome job for a hobby project. Well done! Your site caused me to spend far too much time browsing for air cooled cars over the past 2 weeks. Love to chat with you more about it. Assuming you built crawler templates for each site?

Additional comments:

- Assuming craigslist wouldn't look kindly on a crawler? That would be very useful to pull in.
- I saw your post that 911s were the most heavily searched, followed by corvettes, etc. I think your audience is clearly enthusiasts so I would gear it that way.
- You could create predefined search facets for each model e.g. for 911's long hoods, g-bodies, 964, 993, 996, 997, etc. Likely the same for other brands.
- I think you should go beyond forums and pull in autotrader classics, etc. That would make this the one stop shop for enthusiasts. I hit 4-5 sites with varying regularity. Its a pain.
- I would love to have a site like this that has my saved searches listed as facets along the left menu. Each would have a notification next to it on the number of updates since my last visit. After you select the saved search in the left pane you scan hits in the right pane. Makes it fast to browse.
- As this is for enthusiasts you could think about creating an analytics overlay: distribution of prices, miles, colors, avg price by mileage, etc. This could be a premium feature you pay for.

All great ideas above... Plus...
  • I'd add Hemmings
  • A distance from location... Eg when I travel sometimes I see what might be near me
  • Need some of the other common attributes... Eg body style, color, Private seller vs dealer

porsche959 09-17-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheBruce (Post 15290788)

Additional comments:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

we recently added bmw club - I think Porsche club layout is similar. working on it. will look into Autotrader classics

craigslist is a scrape blocking god - at this point, barring the hire of a hacker or a genius, its impossible to reliably track craigslist posts unfortunately :(

data analysis is interesting (I had a similar idea myself - average listing price, etc - wasn't sure about demand though).

Dino V 09-17-2018 04:38 PM

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

DesmoSD 09-17-2018 08:04 PM

Very cool! I was just browsing through there and saw 911's that were long gone, (saw voodoo's 997 C2S as one example). I know there isn't much that you can do to that since the seller never updated their listing.