Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter and cable

Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Numeric shifter and cable

I plan to install the Numeric shifter on my 997.2.
Question : Is there a significant difference withe Numeric shifter and cable combo instead of just the shifter itself, Just wonder for those that had the kit installed with/without the cable whether it makes a difference. The reason I ask is that the cables are almost as expensive as the shifter itself and I wonder I'm penny wise and pound foolish to omit the cables.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:11 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

The cables are the worst thing I've ever installed in my car. Plenty of 997 GT3 guys share a similar sentiment.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:55 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

I have the Numeric shifter and don’t have the cables, and I don’t think they are necessary either. I do have the Function First shifter cable ends: http://www.function-first.com/produc...ter-cable-ends

The shifter in my car is absolutely PERFECT with that setup.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:14 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

What are you trying to achieve? A more solid shift? Why not try the billet bushings first and see if you need the cables and shifter.

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/p...t-bushing-kit/
Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have neither. However, I did install the FF shifter cable ends that ATSR referenced and they made a big big difference to the good. If I were you I would do the Numeric shifter and the FF cable ends as they much less expensive than the Numeric whole cables. I think you would be impressed with their quality and positive impact on your ****ing.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Just saw DesmoSD's post. Good tip! Thanks. I'm going to order as soon as I hit post reply on this message.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Batman33
Instructor

OK, just one more "tip". There is a video available on YouTube, "How to eliminate play from your Porsche factory shifter". (I'd link it herein if I knew how...sorry.) The author of that video got replacement bushings from a short sift kit acquired on eBay. I'd rather use the ones DesmoSD turned us on to. The video also has a second step (replacing the bushings being the first) that I'll leave to the video to explained...it requires only some thin metal shim stock and a washer. If your going to in there replacing the bushings IMO you might as well do this second step as well. Bottom line I think is that you may be able to achieve the same affect as a new shifter by spending far les money. Then again I'm a DIYer and a tight wad.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:40 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry...I’m in a different camp. The cables are a must for the best shift quality....but that’s in the eye of the beholder. It made a big difference when I had them in my 997.1.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Sorry...I’m in a different camp. The cables are a must for the best shift quality....but that’s in the eye of the beholder. It made a big difference when I had them in my 997.1.
If you want the "best shift quality" you buy 996 Cup cables. Numeric's product (and service) is abysmal.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:11 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

My shifter and cable right now are all stock. While I have no problem shifting into any gears, but I could feel the slop. The shifter just feels vague with no crisp feedback. While the stalk is in neutral, there is no side to side play. I just don't like the soft feel. I prefer a more positive, crisp feel even if the shifter feels more weighted. I hope by installing the Numeric shifter, and whatever cable to allow a more positive sifting a well as provide a shorter throw.
Oh yes, I do occasionally get a hiccup going into 1st after the lights turn green (I always put it in neutral with the clutch released waiting at a stop light). The shifting was quite loose until I changed the engine mount to RSS version, but I think I can still improve the shifting more by installing the Numeric shifter and cable combo.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I put in the Numeric shifter in my 2009 C2S and am very happy. I did not do the cables but would like to.

What I found interesting is how the stock shifter was "soft" and vvague. When I removed it and examined it closely, it was tight.. real tight...amd it had 64K miles on it. I can only assume the softness was simply due to the stock shifter's use of plastic. It was all plastic in there.

The stock cables have plastic in the the links so either the numeric or the function first cable ends would be nice. If I knew the Numeric's cables were thicker than stock, then maybe there would be a felt difference there too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-25-2018, 11:31 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
If you want the "best shift quality" you buy 996 Cup cables. Numeric's product (and service) is abysmal.
I can’t comment on the 996 Cup Cables....but my experience with Numeric I can. It was easy, go to their website click on the combo package (this was back in 2015), pay, and they showed up 3 days later. The quality of the product is fantastic.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S

I can’t comment on the 996 Cup Cables....but my experience with Numeric I can. It was easy, go to their website click on the combo package (this was back in 2015), pay, and they showed up 3 days later. The quality of the product is fantastic.
+1

I also had a very good experience with Numeric, and the quality of the shifter is outstanding.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR

+1

I also had a very good experience with Numeric, and the quality of the shifter is outstanding.
Went with cables and short shifter and 1000% better!!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I put a function first shift right solution in. Replaces the plastic parts with metal like the cup shifters. Further with changing out the clutch fluid and Porsche short shifter the shifting has improved considerably. Much cheaper as well.

When cold still get the 1-2 notchiness.

Heres the shift right solution Link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Numeric shifter and cable