Sponsored by:

Suspension Lowering Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Suspension Lowering Advice

I'm looking for advice from those who have done these mods.

I am seriously considering lowering my '09 base cabriolet slightly. From reading previous threads, I think the Eibach lowering springs will give me the best ride with just enough lowering to look good and not require bump-steer modifications. This is solely for cosmetic reasons--I don't track the car and drive it almost daily.

My car has 75k miles on it and while I'm doing the springs, I'm considering replacing my shocks and front lower control arms. It's probably too early to do this maintenance, but if I'm going to have the struts out, I may as well do it now instead of doing it all over again in 20 or 30k miles. This is a typical situation where I am starting with one simple job and "while I'm at it" has taken over and it's quickly blossoming into a major R&R.

I am wondering if I should go with stock OE shocks and control arms, or is there a better, similarly-priced option that people have used?

Again, stock car, daily driver, no track use and I have no problems with how the car rides or handles. I'm also looking for advice on where to buy the parts.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Since it's a stock car, daily driver and not going to the track, I would stick with OEM components. You have options and what you're trying to achieve. If you want to just lower it and maintain the OEM feel, I recommend going with Eibach lowering springs, new shocks and shock mounts. When you start changing things up, you'll have to dial it in; either yourself or at the shop.

http://www.rennline.com/Control-Arms/products/1269/

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU997FSM.html
Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

I also recommend going with Eibach Springs. I have had them on almost every car I have owned since 1992. They are mellow and have never negatively affected any of my cars. Easy first "mod." Also, easy to take back to stock, and easy to sell if you do not like them.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

If you're lowering just for a better looking stance I would go with H&R springs. I know.....lots of folks here saying the ride is to harsh and all that. I've driven 997's with stock springs, Eibach/Techart springs and H&R's and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference in ride quality between all of them. Maybe the H&R's are a tad bit firmer but to me, negligible and not even approaching the "unbearable" or "back breaking" ride some complain about. At a 1.25" drop compared to the 1" Eibach/Techart drop it's definitely the best looking drop if you want the flush look without looking slammed.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:54 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

If you’re dropping below OEM SPASM level with Eibach/H&R you’ll need adjustable rear toe arms to keep the rear toe in check.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
If you’re dropping below OEM SPASM level with Eibach/H&R you’ll need adjustable rear toe arms to keep the rear toe in check.
there is a good bit of adjustment to get it aligned. With just doing drop springs, you will be able to get it aligned with no additional components
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default H&R

I'm on Eibachs before and would have chosen H&Rs as my preference was having a significant drop. Depends if you want a conservative (Eibach) or more aggressive drop (H&R). I cannot compare ride quality but having H&Rs on my Benz w124 and BMW2002 I'd say it has identical firmness.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine

there is a good bit of adjustment to get it aligned. With just doing drop springs, you will be able to get it aligned with no additional components
But by just barely, you will end up with rear toe adjustment maxed out and be on the higher side of max toe tolerance. If you care about rear tire wear, get a set of adjustable rear toe links and have your alignment shop adjust to the min toe tolerance and enjoy less rear tire wear. Now, there is plenty of toe adjustment in the factory front tie rod links, so you don't have to worry about the fronts.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:41 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Bilstein B6 and Eibach lowering springs here. 19” wheel and Michelin Super Sports. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. More like unbearable. Dallas has bad streets. Car handles great. Car looks great. Ride is terrible terrible terrible if there’s undulating or patched pavement or pot holes. Bent a wheel within a week and I drive slow.....stock springs going back in ASAP. I considered PSS9/10 for a custom ride and I’ve had the car dropped maybe 3 weeks and I’m DONE. My back is freaking aching.....
Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Bilstein B6 and Eibach lowering springs here. 19” wheel and Michelin Super Sports. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. More like unbearable. Dallas has bad streets. Car handles great. Car looks great. Ride is terrible terrible terrible if there’s undulating or patched pavement or pot holes. Bent a wheel within a week and I drive slow.....stock springs going back in ASAP. I considered PSS9/10 for a custom ride and I’ve had the car dropped maybe 3 weeks and I’m DONE. My back is freaking aching.....
If it's that extreme on the bad side for you I don't see how even stock springs will get you the relief you're looking for. Hate to say it but it sounds like you need a different car rather than just different suspension parts on what you're driving now.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

You need less rim and more rubber!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using the stock shocks on my 997.2 Targa which are B4's I believe, installed the Eibach springs and found the ride better than the original springs. The rear toe came into 1/2 degree of spec. It now sits as the car should. Couldn't be happier 😁
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Thanks for the input so far, guys. My butt has become more sensitive to ride as I have gotten older, which is why I don't want to go lower than where the Eibachs will take me. I can tell the difference between the ride with my winter (18" Bridgestones) and summer (19" Hankooks) wheels and tires so I fully expect to notice some difference between the stock and lowered springs. I think I'm still young enough that lowering a inch or so won't beat me up too badly. The roads here are not awful and not great.

How about opinions on replacing the LCAs and sources for parts? I have ordered various parts from Suncoast, Sunset and Pelican for this car and had good experiences with all of them. If I go with OEM shocks and LCAs, it just boils down to cost and service. Anybody got any other suggestions?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:09 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Cumulatively the 19” wheel and stiff sidewall of the MPSS tire plus B6 plus lowering spring and bad pavement is the issue. Two longtime technicians at PPP here in Dallas recommended stock spring and retaining B6 struts. They both advised this combo over PSS9 or PSS10. 40-50 years of Porsche experience between the two of them. One is the Motorsports Director for PPP and is a great guy, the other a longtime tech who moved to parts when he fell ill, and the two own a total of 12 Porsches currently. I implicitly trust their recommendations. They talked me OUT of buying and installing PSS10s via their organization. I will say driving on smooth pavement is not a problem, not terrible. If your spine is still healthy/intact and there’s good road ahead, have at it. Dallas roads and highways are not good at all in and around downtown. There’s a reason everyone drives SUVs and trucks here.....Suburbs entirely differ from where I live. This is my daily driver so it’s not ok that it beats me up......
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to sell the lowering springs? Im local lol.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lowering Advice