Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 engine suddenly died at stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Can't be the battery. Have the HPFP ever been replaced ? The 997.2 had a lot of fuel pump problems until it was rectified with a newer version.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Any updates on this after the dealer had a chance to look at it? Really curious on what caused it.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Farland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Main bus ground issue. Could be as simple as battery post loose clamp or sulfated connection.
+1. I would look for a corroded connection somewhere.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by nwGTS
How much time passed from when you started the car to when the car died at the stoplight?

Had you driven it shortly before the trip when this happened. I’ve heard of this happening on 997.2s about a half dozen times including my own car.

My conditions were when I started a short 10 minute drive to parking it for maybe two minutes. Then starting and rolling to a stop sign 45 seconds later. It died at the stop sign. Same Christmas tree light show. It then cranked right up again and no problems ever since. That was two years ago. I was on an old battery and since changed it but think it has more to do with the car running too rich on the start up thinking it needed to heat the cats. Probably something to do with heat soak but that’s just an educated guess.

No idea if my situation mirrors yours but it’s one data point for you.
Slightly different scenario, but you reminded me of the old car-dies-when-buying-vanilla-ice cream-issue:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cone-of-silence/

Throwing my vote in with the "it could be anything" group.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing yet, dealer has it since friday but couldn't look at it till yesterday. and no luck, there are no codes and haven't had a chance to duplicate the problem. Nothing is obvious to them. The shop foreman is going to take it home today and have an opportunity to drive it extensively and report tomorrow. Yep, it could be anything!! in the meantime, have a sweet Pepper loaner, 2018 V6 turbo, and wow.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Slightly different scenario, but you reminded me of the old car-dies-when-buying-vanilla-ice cream-issue:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cone-of-silence/

Throwing my vote in with the "it could be anything" group.
And (off topic), the ice cream story reminded me of a Triumph TR6 I owned many moons ago. In hot weather, the fuel pump would overheat and the car would just quit. Solution? The fuel pump was easily accessible in the trunk so all you had to do was find the nearest place to buy a popsicle or a small bag of ice. Hold it against the fuel pump for a few minutes and you were on your way again. Leave it to the Brits to design fuel pumps that need ice baths to function in hot weather.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:06 PM
chago996
Racer

Update: no issues found, except slow cranking battery. Battery replaced.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know in a couple weeks if the battery was the fix.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
8 years out of a Battery is exceptional - most fail at almost exactly 5 years. The only vehicle I've seen batteries consistently last longer in is the Cayenne, where the box is located under the front driver's seat so they stay super clean, stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, but it's not the easiest thing to change quickly - good thing there are jump posts under the hood.
Funny you brought this up. My Cayenne has a build date of 06/05 and I proactively replaced the battery in 08/16 as we planned a year of travel towing our Airstream. Battery was strong so no issues. My SA didn't believe me when I told him the battery was original. So I asked him to text me a picture of the battery date when they pulled it. Yep, date was 2005.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM
chago996
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know in a couple weeks if the battery was the fix.
Oh my, sure will. Your pessimism is the cure to my optimism. I give this fix two weeks too!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
Oh my, sure will. Your pessimism is the cure to my optimism. I give this fix two weeks too!

I do not think that Wayne was expressing pessimism. He knows that 997.2s need well conditioned batteries.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not think that Wayne was expressing pessimism. He knows that 997.2s need well conditioned batteries.
This. I'm actually optimistic, but would still appreciate affirmation 8)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2010 997.2 C4S with about 65K miles on it now. For the ENTIRE time I have had it, and I mean when it was brand new, I have had an ongoing glitch with the engine shutting off while pulling away from a parking spot. The dealer can't figure it out. No one can. It's not repetitive (like taking it to the dealer to show them) and it's not dangerous. It only happens a few times a year. The conditions are it has to be warm outside (over 80), and the car has been driven within the last hour. If it's parked more than an hour, never happens. Even if the conditions are right, still will only do it once every 20 times. When it does do it, I am usually running errands and have stopped for 30-45 minutes. Then when I am leaving, and I push in the clutch coasting up to a stop sign, etc all the lights come on, the engine has shut off. I just twist the key to far left to reset, and recrank. Fires right up perfectly, no more problem. Months pass, does it again. The dealer can't explain it. When I try to give them details, they just **** their head over like a chicken watching a card trick. No idea where to start since it never throws a code. I have just learned to live with it, and halfway expect it when conditions are right. Weird but true....
Old 09-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

That is weird. The conditions you state remind me of vapor lock. But I wouldn't think that would be a thing with the high pressure fuel pump and DFI. Also the fact that it starts right up ...
Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe me that's been discussed. About all we can figure is that the hot temps combined with the car sitting for a relatively short period of time combines to create a vacuum or vapor related issue causing the engine to literally stop after about 30 seconds of running. Always happens in the first 30-60 seconds under load. I can idle after starting it forever and it idles fine. Under load it will trip. I have a Durametric and have thought about trying to record what's happening in that time frame, but there are so many things to choose it would take a lifetime to catch the right one.

Quick Reply: 997.2 engine suddenly died at stoplight