Sponsored by:

997.2 engine suddenly died at stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018 | 11:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highpox1
Believe me that's been discussed. About all we can figure is that the hot temps combined with the car sitting for a relatively short period of time combines to create a vacuum or vapor related issue causing the engine to literally stop after about 30 seconds of running. Always happens in the first 30-60 seconds under load. I can idle after starting it forever and it idles fine. Under load it will trip. I have a Durametric and have thought about trying to record what's happening in that time frame, but there are so many things to choose it would take a lifetime to catch the right one.
Don't the .2 cars have 2 fuel pumps. A low pressure in-tank pump that feeds the high pressure DFI pump?

If so, 30vseconds of running is about the amount of fuel that would be in the lines between the 2 pumps. With an in-tank pump, vapor lock isn't really possible since the gas in the tank can't vaporize at the bottom, which is where that pump would be.

On 914s when the tank was in the front and the fuel pump in the back with the engine, you'd get vapor lock on really hot days where the fuel in the lines between the tank and pump would turn to vapor and then the pump at the engine couldn't pump the fuel in its gaseous state and the car would die. Moving the pump to the front, next to the tank, resolved the problem, and even if the gas in the liberal still vaporized, the liquid fuel being pumped from the tank would push it through.

Using that analogy, it almost sounds like the in tank pump is sometimes not being energized so it doesn't resupply the DFI pump and it does after 30 seconds. On the restart, the in tank pump is getting energized so it supplies fuel to the high pressure pump and all is well.

On my 09 DFI Cayenne, opening the drivers door primes the in-tank pump - you can hear it run. It will only do it the first time though unless 10 or 15 minutes pass, then it will do it again, but it won't do it on repeated door openings all in a row. Does the 997 use the same methodology? If so, start paying attention to hearing the pump prime when you open the door. If you don't hear it once, see if that's the time when the car dies.

If it doesn't work that way, you may still want yo investigate the wiring to the low pressure pump or that pump itself.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2018 | 11:47 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Interesting-had not discussed a duel fuel pump issue, makes sense. I wonder if there is a vapor lock between the two pumps on a hot day, and after being shut down for < 60 min it's still there....the tank pump is unable to supply the DFI. If that is the case, how does one solve it? Your idea about wiring though would not work since that would be independent of temperature, and being shut down for less than an hour. I am not sure how the 997.2 pump(s) interact, Need to do more research..
Old 09-02-2018 | 01:26 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

I have a 2010 997.2 C4S with about 65K miles on it now. For the ENTIRE time I have had it, and I mean when it was brand new, I have had an ongoing glitch with the engine shutting off while pulling away from a parking spot. The dealer can't figure it out. No one can. It's not repetitive (like taking it to the dealer to show them) and it's not dangerous. It only happens a few times a year. The conditions are it has to be warm outside (over 80), and the car has been driven within the last hour. If it's parked more than an hour, never happens. Even if the conditions are right, still will only do it once every 20 times. When it does do it, I am usually running errands and have stopped for 30-45 minutes. Then when I am leaving, and I push in the clutch coasting up to a stop sign, etc all the lights come on, the engine has shut off. I just twist the key to far left to reset, and recrank. Fires right up perfectly, no more problem. Months pass, does it again. The dealer can't explain it. When I try to give them details, they just **** their head over like a chicken watching a card trick. No idea where to start since it never throws a code. I have just learned to live with it, and halfway expect it when conditions are right. Weird but true....
WAG: have you checked the clutch switch to see if something might be obstructing on an irregular basis?
Old 09-02-2018 | 01:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ocgarza
WAG: have you checked the clutch switch to see if something might be obstructing on an irregular basis?
A clutch switch problem might keep the car from starting, but shouldn't have any effect once it's already running, causing it to stall.
Old 09-03-2018 | 01:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Believe me that's been discussed. About all we can figure is that the hot temps combined with the car sitting for a relatively short period of time combines to create a vacuum or vapor related issue causing the engine to literally stop after about 30 seconds of running. Always happens in the first 30-60 seconds under load. I can idle after starting it forever and it idles fine. Under load it will trip. I have a Durametric and have thought about trying to record what's happening in that time frame, but there are so many things to choose it would take a lifetime to catch the right one.
Possibility but something still isn't right. I drive in temperatures of low to mid 90"s six months out of the year, make frequent short stops like you describe and never had anything like this happen on two 997.2's with a total of almost 40,000 miles between the two cars. It does sound like it's fuel supply related though....somehow..
Old 12-05-2018 | 12:25 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Very mysterious topic.
My 997.2 GTS PDK stalled on me last Friday. Went home after work, parked car in garage for about 15 mins or so...then took the car out, about a quarter mile / 3 mins or so (leaving the neighborhood) into the drive the car stalled (the light show came on)
I was on an up slope at a stop sign, when it was time to go, I pushed on the gas and it stalled. Put the car in P, then turn the key all the way left then restarted the car with out any issue. I have owned the car for almost 4 years (not a daily driver), that it's the first time this has happened.
Old 12-05-2018 | 12:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Highpox, I had another thought on this. Since you say it only happens over 80 degrees, does that also mean it always happens with the A/C on or HVAC on Auto (which means the A/C is on)? Most cars have a switch or relay that elevates the idle slightly whenver the A/C compressor is running due to the additional load on the engine, to prevent it from stalling. Since you say it happens after driving when pushing in the clutch and coming to a stop, it almost sounds like the idle is falling too far and doesn't recover, so it stalls. If the 997 has a switch or relay for this purpose, it's possible that it is intermittent and not elevating the idle, or it's possible that the during the 1 in 20 times it happens, that the compressor was idling and just kicked on at the same time that the RPMs were falling and that extra load caused the stall. This is also why id doesn't happen every time. Or maybe the switch or relay is bad all the time, but if the compressor stays idling (you can feel the A/C clutch engage when it does), it doesn't happen because there wasn't additional load introduced. If the compressor was already running, it doesn't happen because the car is already adjusted to the additional load, but if it kicks on just as the revs are falling....

The other thing to think about when it's happening is how far are the revs falling when it stalls. Are you coming up to the stop from 3,000 RPM and pushing in the clutch or from 2,000 RPM and pushing in the clutch. The higher the RPM it's dropping from might make the potential for the stall higher also. What does your car idle at when warmed up? When you have the HVAC in Auto, do you see the tach change when you feel the A/C clutch engage - drop and then rise and be stable, hunt for a bit, drop a little and stay there?

chago996 - any recurrence of your issue since the new battery?
Old 12-05-2018 | 02:05 PM
RidePcar
Rennlist Member

Any updates from the OP?
Old 12-06-2018 | 06:02 PM
Highpox1
Advanced

My A/C is basically always on. I never shut it off. It did it again last week, Temp was actually about 70F this time. I stopped for 15 min, started to drive..maybe at 5-10 mph so the tach was nothing. Pushed in the clutch and voila, all the lights came on. It just quits. The fix is easy, just key left, key right, starts up immediately. It does seem to do it when the tach is falling and the clutch in. It's never done it under a load. My idle warm in 700. Dead level. I think. The tach never bobbles when the compressor kicks in. I don't think it's a compressor load issue. It has to be a fuel delivery issue, maybe from the lp pump to the hp pump. A bad relay.. Something.
Old 12-06-2018 | 06:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My A/C is basically always on. I never shut it off. It did it again last week, Temp was actually about 70F this time. I stopped for 15 min, started to drive..maybe at 5-10 mph so the tach was nothing. Pushed in the clutch and voila, all the lights came on. It just quits. The fix is easy, just key left, key right, starts up immediately. It does seem to do it when the tach is falling and the clutch in. It's never done it under a load. My idle warm in 700. Dead level. I think. The tach never bobbles when the compressor kicks in. I don't think it's a compressor load issue. It has to be a fuel delivery issue, maybe from the lp pump to the hp pump. A bad relay.. Something.
Once everything is warmed up and your idle is steady at 700, what happens if you hit the ECO button on your HVAC controller? Does the idle stay at 700 after a quick adjustment or does it then idle at 800 or so and stay stable there?
Old 12-06-2018 | 06:36 PM
Highpox1
Advanced

No it stays at the same RPM. I have never seen it drag down the idle. My old 944T was bad on that, but this 997.2 has been steady w/ A/C.
Old 12-09-2018 | 12:30 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Here's my thread from 3 years ago. The kind folks here lit me up for running the fuel low.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/879531-car-just-stopped.html

I don't recall the car ever doing it again. Reading through this thread there are similarities in driving for a short period, parking and then driving off again.
Old 12-09-2018 | 03:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by workhurts
Here's my thread from 3 years ago. The kind folks here lit me up for running the fuel low.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-stopped.html

I don't recall the car ever doing it again. Reading through this thread there are similarities in driving for a short period, parking and then driving off again.
Did that issue reoccur?
Old 12-09-2018 | 03:57 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

99% sure the issue did not reoccur otherwise I'm sure I would have taken it back but for some reason there's a grain of doubt in my head. That's what happens when you have too many cars and motorcycles (and it has happened on my bike a couple of times), I tend to lose track of what happens to what.
Old 12-10-2018 | 06:29 PM
chago996
Racer

Update since the last update: no issues, just the battery as talked about in August. It was the original battery since i bought the car in 2010. Since then, i have added another 5 or 6 k miles with no issues. 109k or so miles

Last edited by chago996; 12-10-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: error

Quick Reply: 997.2 engine suddenly died at stoplight