Sponsored by:

Water pump unknown

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Water pump unknown

Looking to buy an '06 997 and one I've found has about 65k miles. 3 owners. Current owners has had it about 2 years. Records are there but incomplete. Oil changes mainly. There is no history of a water pump or AOS replacement. If we move forward on the car we will certainly get a PPI. Still, if there is no record of replacement of either of those 2 items how concerned should I be? I suspect I'll need to factor in replacement of both but I have some concerns about the nature of these water pumps and their propensity to explode and throw shrapnel into the water passages. I'd imagine an AOS could have made it this long but not a water pump. Thoughts.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:26 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced my water pump after 11 years with 70k, when I removed it, it was perfectly fine, no bearing play or leaks. Although there are a few that have had early failures, it is not a widespread problems on these cars. I only replaced mine as I need to change the coolant and plugs and added a third radiator. I would just keep an eye on it but its not a must.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My water pump went at 55k. I think the car is in the right miles for a pump replacement. use it as a bargaining point.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Water pump on my -09 C4S crapped at just over 40,000 miles. Trashed the serpentile belt in the process but other than that, no other damage to anything. Cost to fix it all was about $1,200 as I recall it. I'd imagine the cost should be similar on a 997.1.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

50k-70k miles is the window where you want to change the water pump if doing it preemptively so you can control where and when it's done. Some go longer, but then you'll not be able to determine where you or the car are or when you'll need to replace it. If you do DIY work on your cars then no biggie - buy a new pump WITH A PLASTIC IMPELLER only (never metal), a new low-temp thermostat and change it when you get the car home, along with the oil as a bonding day with your new ride. Get the spin on filter adapter from LN Engineering and the magnetic drain plug for your oil change. Use either Motul xcess 5W/40 or Driven DT40 oil.

AOS may last many more miles if the oil wasn't overfilled during the last 64k. Do the hot start check if you're going to see the car in person. Start it from cold, drive it a few miles, turn it off for a few minutes (3-5) then try to restart it. If it's very slow to crank, it has the bad cable issue and you'll be replacing that, which is when you'll also put in a new AOS as you go right by it during the disassembly procedure to get to all the cable connection points. If it cranks strong, during the restart, you're good. PPI needs to include a DME printout with overrevs.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:37 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

C'mon. The most you can EXPECT is that maintenance per the book has been performed. After that, its a bonus. You are buying a 10 year old used car, not a new car. Expecting that every little system has been gone through and replaced is unreasonable, unless you want to pay top dollar.

For the record, 82k on mine with original WP and AOS.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 70.000 miles on my 05, asked my service manager at the Porsche dealership if I should replace my water pump, just to be safe. Short answer - no. I've read good arguments on both sides of this issue. Should not be a deal killer, but like someone else mentioned, maybe you could use it as a negotiating point to lower the price. Best of luck.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ronvanr
I have 70.000 miles on my 05, asked my service manager at the Porsche dealership if I should replace my water pump, just to be safe. Short answer - no. I've read good arguments on both sides of this issue. Should not be a deal killer, but like someone else mentioned, maybe you could use it as a negotiating point to lower the price. Best of luck.
Not sure there's a good answer to this question. All depends on your tolerance for inconvenience and hassle. You could luck out and it fails in your garage overnight while you're sleeping. Big deal. Call for a flatbed and send it to the dealer or the indy, or whoever you're using. The more likely scenario is how mine failed. While on the road and it's obvious even to a fool that you're done driving no matter what your location or what important appointment you're on your way to. Actually one of very few cases that left me stranded roadside in any car over all the years.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:48 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm doing my due diligence with the records I have and don't have and simply asking the question if this is something to be concerned about. I never said I expected every system gone through and every item replaced. In fact, I never use the word expect. The only thing I might have expected was the help of the Rennlist community without any attitude.

Thanks to those who gave thoughtful insight into the question asked.

Originally Posted by cosm3os
C'mon. The most you can EXPECT is that maintenance per the book has been performed. After that, its a bonus. You are buying a 10 year old used car, not a new car. Expecting that every little system has been gone through and replaced is unreasonable, unless you want to pay top dollar.

For the record, 82k on mine with original WP and AOS.
The following users liked this post:
AFRJacket (05-06-2024)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I stopped off at my Indy's shop on Friday afternoon on April 14th last year to see what their schedule looked like for water pump/thermostat replacement, as I was at 57k miles (and 11 years of age) and wanted to address it as an overdue maintenance item (per owner manual.) Plans were made to drop the car off the next week.

That night the wife and I left the house about 4PM Friday to drive across town (metro ATL) to go to the Billy Joel concert. Plans were to eat dinner and then head to the venue nearby. Guess what car had a large puddle of coolant under it when we came out after dinner? After making it to the concert and having to wait until 4AM for a flatbed to be available, we got home about 6AM on Saturday. Our dinner and concert date ended up taking 14 Hours!

My point? Treat the water pump replacement as a maintenance item - don't wait for failure.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by mbatarga
I stopped off at my Indy's shop on Friday afternoon on April 14th last year to see what their schedule looked like for water pump/thermostat replacement, as I was at 57k miles (and 11 years of age) and wanted to address it as an overdue maintenance item (per owner manual.) Plans were made to drop the car off the next week.

That night the wife and I left the house about 4PM Friday to drive across town (metro ATL) to go to the Billy Joel concert. Plans were to eat dinner and then head to the venue nearby. Guess what car had a large puddle of coolant under it when we came out after dinner? After making it to the concert and having to wait until 4AM for a flatbed to be available, we got home about 6AM on Saturday. Our dinner and concert date ended up taking 14 Hours!

My point? Treat the water pump replacement as a maintenance item - don't wait for failure.
Exactly the right moral to the story.

Might it last to 100k, yup. Might it fail at any time between 60k and 110k, yup.

Many of us have a similar water pump story - wife took the kids to school in the morning in her 997 - floor was perfectly dry and no coolant smell in the garage. Came back and parked it. Went to go to lunch about 3 hours later and big pink puddle under the car. I keep a water pump and LTT in the parts cabinet all the time since I have 2 997s.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just replaced mine (2005 997 c2) this weekend at 105k. It was as far as I can tell, original. There were no blades missing, no leaks, or noises. The bearing may have had a *tiny amount of play.

I vote to replace as preventative maintenance, and sleep easy. It took me about a half of a Saturday.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish
I'm doing my due diligence with the records I have and don't have and simply asking the question if this is something to be concerned about. I never said I expected every system gone through and every item replaced. In fact, I never use the word expect. The only thing I might have expected was the help of the Rennlist community without any attitude.

Thanks to those who gave thoughtful insight into the question asked.

Not directed to the OP, just directed to those who suggested it was a bargaining chip. Good luck with your purchase!
The following users liked this post:
AFRJacket (05-06-2024)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI the new pump could leak and fail just as easily, search the threads.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier
Just replaced mine (2005 997 c2) this weekend at 105k. It was as far as I can tell, original. There were no blades missing, no leaks, or noises. The bearing may have had a *tiny amount of play.

I vote to replace as preventative maintenance, and sleep easy. It took me about a half of a Saturday.
I am almost at 80k so I am looking to do this once it cools down a bit here in Texas.

Quick Reply: Water pump unknown