Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 First time owner :-) Thoughts on first steps for long ownership...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM
kjbusa
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 997.1 First time owner :-) Thoughts on first steps for long ownership...?

Hello all...seeking your wisdom.

Finally reached a point in life where I could do it, and couldn't wait any longer, so bought a 911. It's a 2008 Targa 4 with 55k miles. Black/black, 19" wheels. Really nice condition, barely a scratch on it. I picked it up for just over $40k with a set of new MPS4S. Nice!

Has been serviced at a Porsche dealer for most of its life, so not overly concerned but wondering what I might do as some sort of mini-service/pre-emptive maintenance at this point, vs. waiting for more significant $60k service.

I've absorbed most of the detail on IMS failure etc. Again, not paranoid but if there are a few things a good independent tech can look for/replace at this point, happy to do it as I want to drive it (a lot) with no concern.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by kjbusa; 07-19-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Very nice car. Enjoy it as much as possible.

Things to worry about:
- Speeding tickets
- Bad attitude from other drivers.
- Resist the urge to race with young drivers in Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla - Let them win, it is good for their ego !
- Possibly a new clutch if you have a manual.
- Possibly a new water pump.
- Spark plugs change if not already done.
- Maybe a new starter.
- Regular oil changes (every 5K miles).

Otherwise, you are good to go for a long time.

Yves
The following users liked this post:
ncracing (03-10-2021)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with above, just get all of the service milestones done whether time or mileage and save those records. Good looking car.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly; congrats!

You can't worry about the IMS much since yours isn't serviceable anyway, would require a full engine out/split procedure. But no point in worry about the bomb anyways when you consider the numbers. Taken from the LN website: "The incidence of failure with a 2006-2008 M96 or M97 Engine as found in the Boxster, Cayman, and 911 that have the larger (but non-serviceable) IMS is highly unlikely. We would estimate about a 1% failure rate." Not even factoring in for turbo/gt models that's a total of 605 Porsche 911's, Boxster's and Cayman's which would have a failure. If we wanted to get more precise looking at just the 911 model from years 2006 thru 2008 there were 34,179 cars sold in North America, of those 4,899 were Turbo models, 917 were GT3 models, 413 were GT3RS models and 185 were GT2 cars. So of the M96/M97 911's with non-serviceable IMS the anticipated total failures is 278 cars in the entire US of A.

That's a low number and I consider it statistical noise. I can't recall coming across any definitive IMS failures on the boards. Even most engine builders/shops are skeptical when someone claims they had an IMS failure on a latter year car and usually those claims peter-out as the failure was due to some other problem (typically driver error!). But let the doomsayers come in and preach from their soapboxes to make themselves feel better about their own actions, they have a right to free speech, too.

Yvesvidal is spot on with the boy racers - plenty of modern pony car drivers like to try to take the **** out of Porsche's, I don't blame 'em, nice ego boost for them. Smile, thumbs up, wave 'em on and go about your day. The aggressive drivers will create a scene, revving their motors at you and whatnot. Smile, thumbs up, wave on. You can't fix stupid.

Swap out the oil drain plug to a magnetic unit to catch shavings. Always cut open your paper oil filter to check for issues. That'll help substantiate the 1% low-risk factor

Stay on top of your coolant, it needs to be changed every 2 years. Use Porsche coolant. Same goes for the brake fluid. Use anything good; I like Motul RBF600.

The oil debate is ongoing. Don't fret it too much and go with whatever is on sale and stick with it. Or stick with Mobil 1 per your engine compartment sticker. If you need peace of mind get a Blackstone Oil Analysis done at every oil change and let them guide your mineral needs. I've been through Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and just switched to Liqui Moly. Don't be afraid to run slightly heavier oil if you're in warm climate, too.

Otherwise it is good car washes, good fuel, paint protection and perspective - you're in a Porsche, enjoy the drive and don't forget who/what brought you into the drivers seat and pass it forward.

Cheers,
Colin
Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM
jaymz9thousand
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first post and felt that this was a good opportunity to introduce myself as well. First, congrats on the new car! I bought my 2007 C2 997.1 last spring and am absolutely and pathologically enamored by it. I'll share my first year of ownership with you. First thing I did, even before picking up the car, was called a reputable local Porsche race shop located about an hour from me and asked whether buying a 10 year old 911 was a mistake, and what sort of issues I may be walking into. The owner graciously informed me that these cars are very reliable when looked after and the only thing he anticipated was a water pump replacement around 60-70k miles. I asked about the infamous IMS and he reiterated what most people report when they inquire at their mechanics, saying it is very rare and not to worry.

I bought mine with 63,000 miles on it and sure enough right around 67,000 i noticed fluid under the car one day and the water pump had finally croaked. I had already spec'd out replacement cost/procedure from the mountains of information on this forum and others so I wasn't surprised or overly concerned. I took the opportunity to bring it to my indy who replaced the pump (along with fresh fluid obviously), and also had him replace the brake fluid and transmission fluid. I forget the bill but it was super cheap... might have been $400 bucks for everything, although i brought him the fluids and the pump so mostly just labor.

Since then I have had no significant issues aside from my oil pressure sensor that failed a month or so ago. That was a breeze to install after reading about the procedure here and an inexpensive part. The best thing I've done to the car was the 'gundo hack' which is a must in my opinion. I pulled the mufflers myself and brought them to a Meineke who did it for $150 or so if i recall. Other minor odds and ends: tinted windows are a nice touch if not done yet. I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit with a new amp in the frunk, and replaced the interior lights with LEDs. Not much else I plan to do to it besides add more miles on it and take it to a few more track days (another must do if you ask me). Join your local PCA, they are a great resource and DE events are awesome and give you the opportunity to talk with experienced drivers and get more acquainted with your new car!
-James
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great advise already. I find Wayne Dempsey's book "101 projects for you your Porsche 911" to be indispensable". I wrench on my own car and the book and pictures are skewed towards the 996 but still think the average 997 owner would be wise to read it.

BTW, to whoever paid $400 bucks in labor to have their water pump replaced: I did my own in the last few weeks (with the help of this forum and its members I must say). Believe me, your money was money well spent, if you catch my drift!! : )

- Bruce
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
kjbusa
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice guys. It feels good to be here. Drove it today, for no other reason than...driving. Has a nice Bose stereo. I didn't need it :-)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Www.blackstone-labs.com/

Blackstone labs oil analysis every oil change. Like getting a blood panel.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SF997S
Www.blackstone-labs.com/

Blackstone labs oil analysis every oil change. Like getting a blood panel.
Just had this performed after my last oil change. It's very interesting to look over and see the results. Really cheap too.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Very nice car. Enjoy it as much as possible.

Things to worry about:
- Speeding tickets
- Bad attitude from other drivers.
- Resist the urge to race with young drivers in Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla - Let them win, it is good for their ego !
- Possibly a new clutch if you have a manual.
- Possibly a new water pump.
- Spark plugs change if not already done.
- Maybe a new starter.
- Regular oil changes (every 5K miles).

Otherwise, you are good to go for a long time.

Yves
I would add large pickup trucks to that list. May be a Florida thing but a lot of those drivers HATE Porsches, at least based on how they act and drive when nearby. One of them rear ended my -09 C4S and tailgating by these idiots is routine. I just get out of their way.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my neighborhood it is the "ultimate driving machine" drivers that I have to watch out for. Especially the ones with license plate trim rings that say "As a matter of fact, I DO own the road". I have been surprised by how much attention my 997 attracts... at gas stations, stop lights, parking lots, etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Congratulations!

As mentioned, since it's an 08, the IMS bearing should be the least of your worries.

Since you have 55K, peace of mind and do the 60K service (either yourself or an Indy) as soon as you can. Keep an eye on the coolant reservoir for cracks and cap for leaks, water pump, starter cable & starter, oil analysis and watch out for the DIY mod bug.

Drive the car and enjoy the ride!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

Nice car - Best advice to not to be a worry wart like 90% of the 997 forum. Enjoy your car and drive the snot of of it.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I would start ground up as you never know the true history of a vehicle. Therefore new air filter, serpentine belt, plugs, check your coil packs while at it as they crack over 50k, and water pump and thermostat. Your at a point where its also recommended to replace the AOS as well. If you haven't had an oil change, add that and also get the transaxle fluid. Since you have a 4, you'll also want to get the front diff as well. maybe change brake fluid as well. Its a lot of stuff and probably a solid 2-3 day job. I think this should cover it and let you start fresh with the car, from here its just yearly oil changes....
Old 07-22-2018, 12:01 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Congrats! It looks excellent.

I echo the above recommendations - do the 60k service yourself. It's not too difficult. I accomplished mine over the course of a couple months (had 39-40k miles at the time, but from 2008 so I figured why not). I haven't previously heard that the coolant needs to be flushed every two years on these. Can anyone back that up? If so, I'll add coolant flush to my list as well.

Quick Reply: 997.1 First time owner :-) Thoughts on first steps for long ownership...?