Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 First time owner :-) Thoughts on first steps for long ownership...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM
kjbusa
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice folks. Have ordered various tools from Sears and parts from pelican, let the oily adventures begin!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Nice car - Best advice to not to be a worry wart like 90% of the 997 forum. Enjoy your car and drive the snot of of it.
^^^This X 997. These cars are meant to be driven, and they made a lot of them. Yes, they are exclusive, but yes, they are intended to be used - especially if you want to know why they are considered exclusive! Don't be afraid to track it either. I did my second session in my 997 this past weekend at Pitt Race - these 997's are sublime on the track. I love the feeling of when it gives the first hints of slipping out from behind you, and you ease on the throttle and pull it back in. Do I get stone chips? Yes, it's a badge of honor. Someday, I'll respray the nose.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by linderpat
^^^This X 997. These cars are meant to be driven, and they made a lot of them. Yes, they are exclusive, but yes, they are intended to be used - especially if you want to know why they are considered exclusive! Don't be afraid to track it either. I did my second session in my 997 this past weekend at Pitt Race - these 997's are sublime on the track. I love the feeling of when it gives the first hints of slipping out from behind you, and you ease on the throttle and pull it back in. Do I get stone chips? Yes, it's a badge of honor. Someday, I'll respray the nose.
+1 on the x 997
Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats, nice car. As for long-term ownership I bought my '05 9 years ago, one-owner, CPO. It has 73K on it now, no plans to get rid of it. It had the replaceable IMSB and I took care of that as soon as the CPO ran out,as it needed a clutch anyway (no doubt due to the previous owner's poor clutching skills, because I've never needed to replace a clutch in my life before). However in the low 60s the engine needed rebuilding due to bore scoring. It was a less costly issue than IMSB failure because there was no colateral damage, but I was thankful I had an extended warranty which greatly reduced my out of pocket. I say reduced because I chose to pay the difference for an RND remanufactured engine rather than the used engine or in-shop rebuild the warranty sprung for. As there is no class action suit on bore scoring I haven't seen any authoritative probability stats on it. Frankly I wouldn't worry about it unless you see/hear symptoms, and even if you do, some people have continued to drive the car for a long time. The only reason I jumped on it immediately was I had the warranty and it was going to expire. Otherwise I'd probably still be driving it as it was (just ticking, no other symptoms) considering I only put about 3K miles on it per year.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Beautiful car, drive it and enjoy it. You may eventually want to mod it to your liking. One simple thing to do is add clear side markers (under $60 from Sun Coast), you will be amazed at how better the car looks just from that simple change (syncing up with the headlights and turn signals / parking lights) (IMO).
Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's due for coils and plugs if original. Changing transmission fluid is helpful in many folks' experience. You car also needs clear side markers IMHO. All of these have great DIY write-ups in this forum. Also I would check all air filters and replace if at all dirty. Lastly consider changing belts/pulley. 10 years old rubber gets brittle.

Quick Reply: 997.1 First time owner :-) Thoughts on first steps for long ownership...?