Sponsored by:

997.2 Carrera Base

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 Carrera Base

Hello, I just joined the forum and looking to purchase a 997.2 as a daily driver to go along with my 1992 NSX. I know and learn about the 997 cars from reading and watching review for a few years. I test drove a 997.1 S Cab, and it was plenty fast for me.

From my observation, 997.2 is a lot more expensive than 997.1, and 997 in general have been increasing in value. I don't have the budget for a C2S or C4S anymore, so I can only afford a Base 997.2

I am eyeing on these car, what do you think about this particular car if I only have 40k budget? I love the color but I am afraid the resale will be hard.

https://autosport-usa.com/product/20...e-911-carrera/

I need PDK. I am not sure if I need PASM nor the Sport Chrono Package. Is the PASM and CS a must have?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Sport Chrono with PDK most people say is needed - sharpens up the gear shifting, much better than the standard shifts. Good news is that you can have this added after the fact (minus the 'wart' stopwatch which is useless anyway) - check out Suncoast for the parts, you will have to get a dealer to code it up I believe.

PASM - not so essential - I have a base and it great, most PASM people here would tell you to change the PASM controller to the DSC module and if you are thinking of going the coil over route you eliminate PASM anyway.

If you already have an NSX you're a lucky guy!!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty close to 'right' IMHO. There was a black low mileage and very pristine base that sold in Houston while I was looking for $40k. You might be able to argue that due to mileage the car could be $3750 less. Also you want to account for any maintenance that isn't done. If there isn't paperwork for it then it isn't done. All items in the 60k miles or 6 years should be done. If not those items could total $6000 at a dealer and about $3500 at an indie. Since you already have the NSX - there's little need to rush. Take your time and the right one will come along. I initially searched nationwide but after losing out a few times focused on within 50 miles. There are a lot of advantages to buying locally.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yxBU8BWUQgPzRZ
Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Thanks, These are very informative.

I will take some of your advice on not rushing it. I am one of those that wants it "NOW" guy.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:43 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

I think this is plenty of car, for a very good price and a nice color combo. I have a non Chrono and non PASM 2009 car, and I like the feel of the car, drive it and you might agree, it has a lively uncluttered feel to it, and the PDK will not disappoint on shifting crispness. Buy what you like, not what what someone else is going to enjoy, who cares.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Thanks for the insight. I should have been a little more clear. I am not asking if you like the car, I am just asking if this is a fair price for the condition and package. I want to be a savvy shopper and look for a fair deal. I am not familiar with buying these cars so this helps to gauge my search. Listening to different opinions helps me make decisions.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:56 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a good deal for that car. The previous owner had the car listed on the porsche club of america classifieds and I inquired about it. At the time he wanted 43900 so I bought my C4S instead. I believe I still have his contact info.

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Wow, I am already starting to like this forum! Thanks. I will pm you.

On another note, this one is local to me but I want a change from white cars because my nsx is white. just higher in mileage.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

If your budget is $40k then I'm throwing another fish on the table: Look for a nice 996 S or 4S with Tiptronic that's up to snuff with IMS and RMS replaced. That gets you into a 911 with money left over for your maintenance fund. Excellence Magazine has a nice inexpensive Buyer's Guide that I found helpful when I was looking for a car. PCA Test Drive membership also gives you access to contact info for members who have ads there. Just from what I've seen I think getting a 997.2 with PDK for $40k is going to be tough unless you're talking about a higher mileage car.

Last edited by swingwing; 07-12-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added words.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been watching that Red coupe on Ebay just for value purposes as it it close to my specs, base C2 with PDK and close to same miles, for same price I paid, but mine is white. Mine did have sport chrono added by the previous owner, which I feel is a must with the PDK for spirited driving, and as mentioned I believe it is about a $1200 add on from your local dealer.

Ours is also used as a daily driver and I could not be happier with how great of a dailer driver it makes.

As far as I have seen, $40k ish is about as low as it gets for a base C2 with 50k ish miles, PDK, and clean history.

I’m actually kind of surprised that one has not sold yet, possibly because red is not for everyone?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:20 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by E368
I have been watching that Red coupe on Ebay just for value purposes as it it close to my specs, base C2 with PDK and close to same miles, for same price I paid, but mine is white. Mine did have sport chrono added by the previous owner, which I feel is a must with the PDK for spirited driving, and as mentioned I believe it is about a $1200 add on from your local dealer.

Ours is also used as a daily driver and I could not be happier with how great of a dailer driver it makes.

As far as I have seen, $40k ish is about as low as it gets for a base C2 with 50k ish miles, PDK, and clean history.

I’m actually kind of surprised that one has not sold yet, possibly because red is not for everyone?
It is. PDK without sport chrono is a miserable experience. Besides that, $40K for a base 997.2 shouldn't be that big of a challenge. May have some miles on it but not a scary number.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
It is. PDK without sport chrono is a miserable experience. Besides that, $40K for a base 997.2 shouldn't be that big of a challenge. May have some miles on it but not a scary number.
Can you clarify that ? I have SC and PDK and while it's more aggressive with sport mode turned on, in my view most of the performance is there with the PDK and sport mode not activated. Wouldn't this be the same as PDK w/o SC?

Reviews when the car was released indicate a 0.2 second benefit from SC with PDK which also makes it a tie with an M/T.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Seems like the CS is a must for PDK...

I forgot to mention, I drive a lot about 50 miles 5 days a week.

Maybe better to pick up the high mileage (96k) White 2009 997.2 PDK and Chrono?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

I dont' like red but that ruby red is really nice. Just too far.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Can you clarify that ? I have SC and PDK and while it's more aggressive with sport mode turned on, in my view most of the performance is there with the PDK and sport mode not activated. Wouldn't this be the same as PDK w/o SC?
Probably another subjective topic. To me, PDK without SC just feels lazy like the old tip. As for performance, the quicker shifts in a PDK, sport chrono car in sport or sport plus mode versus a PDK car without SC clearly accounts for something. I don't care about 10th's of a second 0-60 but I do care about how it feels to get there and that's what matters to me.

In sum, there's definitely a huge difference in how a PDK car with SC in sport plus mode moves forward compared to a PDK car without SC so I guess the only issue here is whether or not that difference is important to you (or any other owner) or not . As you say, the "performance/HP" is there no matter what transmission configuration. Just a matter of how it's utilized.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:01 AM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

somehow Porsche made cars for almost 70 years without a chrono button, not sure how?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Carrera Base