Sponsored by:

UNC REX doctor killed when Porsche hits tree at 148 mph on Wade Ave

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I think the info can possibly be downloaded from the car's ECM.
This is the correct answer. Part of OBD-II and airbag rules. If the ECM/BCM detect anything collision-like, they write out the last 30 seconds of RAM which includes parameters like speed, throttle input, braking input, steering input, etcetera. If the ECM is recoverable, it's readable. The speedometer does NOT stay at the last speed, that's pure myth. It may, but it's sure as hell not designed to.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I live fairly close by. Wade Ave certainly isn't the place for high speed runs, even if you were going to be doing such an inadvisable thing. Just glad he didn't hurt anyone else while jackassing around. I don't believe there is a sharp enough turn anywhere there where the car couldn't make the curve at 150mph. Possibly just a steering correction that didn't account for the speed in question.
Or a phone call........
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by apperception
From my perspective, it's both sad and an example of poor judgement. Sad for family, friends, and maybe his patients. I wish I had the driving skills of some of you, but I don't. I could easily get myself into a scary situation (at least I have Cocoa leather, just in case), but feel less likely to do so as I grow older.

As a liberal arts professor (Psychology) whose salary is paid by you hard workers (Paid 32K after selling my '88 for twice what I paid, so you didn't buy me a 100K car), I feel obligated to try to pay you back. I assume what you meany by:

Brought to you by your local liberal college where your education is paid for by those who work so you do have too

was meant to read:

Brought to you by your local liberal college where your education is paid for by those who work so you don't have to.
oh snap
lol
Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I had noted he was my friend earlier hoping that the gossiping rubbing necking brigade would back off and have some respect. Obviously, that is too much to expect for forum types.

He had just purchased the car that week and it had 3,500 miles. Paul had never been in one and asked for a quick ride.

I can drive that curve at 90 (not 100) in Prius and steering one handed, drinking coffee in the other in a CGT. That road was completely vacant at that time in an Industrial park/section . . . not busy city streets.

Your girlfriend's father obviously has no car control skills. The car can easily be driven in a non-scary fashion and is not inherently dangerous. That comment makes zero sense unless has no self restraint to go along with lack of car control skills.

Time and time again, internet popular opinion proves to be ignorant and misinformed. No different than what I saw above right out of the gate.
This article reminded me of this thread

https://www.pca.org/news/2017-10-10/...sches-all-time

Quick Reply: UNC REX doctor killed when Porsche hits tree at 148 mph on Wade Ave